SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My airbox mounts had broken apart and was rattling all the time. I decided to just do a cheap open intake and get rid of all the stock parts.

Intake off ebay - $17 shipped
Intake Pipe from Autozone - $11
Hose Clamps - $2

The intake pipe from autozone puts it in a good location clear of everything. I will find some metal to make a little bracket, but in the meantime i just have it held up by another bent hose clamp / zip tie...which actually works well and keeps the rubber hose from touching anything.

Just figured Id post this in case anyone else was curious about a cheap intake.

·
Registered
386 Posts
What are the diameters of the metal pipe? I might try to put this together. I've got a weird intake resonance noise that I'm thinking is coming from a leaky airbox...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Um, it might move around a little but has enough clearance where it doesn't touch anything. I dont hear anything (like a rattle) so i think its fine. Like i said too...you could always just take a piece of metal and fab up a simple mount. Ill honestly probably just leave it the way it is.

·
Registered
927 Posts
you can also just bypass that 90 degree bend and go strait off your MAF sensor, then you dont need the metal pipe cuz you can bolt your filter right on the MAF housing.

In addition you wont need to create a splash guard under your filter.

Looks good though, probably also bigger filter than mine because the limited room where mine is.

·
Registered
867 Posts
you can also just bypass that 90 degree bend and go strait off your MAF sensor, then you dont need the metal pipe cuz you can bolt your filter right on the MAF housing.

In addition you wont need to create a splash guard under your filter.

Looks good though, probably also bigger filter than mine because the limited room where mine is.
I would not recommend that with an oiled filter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm...yeah. Doesn't seem like a whole lot of room to come right off the MAF, seems like it would be sitting on the fender for sure, which could rattle/wear at the filter. I duno.

I probably wont end up making a splash guard either and just be careful of what I drive through. I bought this car for 1200 bucks, so like i said this was just kinda a real quick cheap way to do this. If i were to invest a little more money id probably just get that GS one w/the nice bracket.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was actually thinking of piecing together a setup from siliconintakes.com.

Two 3" ID 45* pieces with a metal coupler should replace the rubber hose off the MAF and then you can get a 2nd metal coupler and JB-Weld (or something else sufficiently ghetto :)) a mounting bracket onto the stock airbox mount, then just hang the filter off the bottom. Don't see how you could go wrong.

Total cost out the door would be around $60 with clamps. You might be able to get away with just a 90* coupler instead of two 45s and knock $15 off the price. Just add the air filter of your choice and you're good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
filter off the MAF

hi all i have found that a mushroom shaped universal filter from halfords / ripspeed does just clear the wing and no need for extra plumbing , straight off the maf , and a lovely noise too ;ol;

·
Registered
386 Posts
Question:

In the esteemed Mr. Platonoff's guide for the Taliaferro intake kit, the picture shows what looks like a K&N RE-0910 filter. I can't read it exactly, but the product page HERE looks promising. Does anyone know for sure what the product code is in that kit?

I know its an expensive part, but I like how its longer than the average filter. Of course it might be academic as a regular cheap cone filter is 1/4 the price...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Question:

In the esteemed Mr. Platonoff's guide for the Taliaferro intake kit, the picture shows what looks like a K&N RE-0910 filter. I can't read it exactly, but the product page HERE looks promising. Does anyone know for sure what the product code is in that kit?

I know its an expensive part, but I like how its longer than the average filter. Of course it might be academic as a regular cheap cone filter is 1/4 the price...
That looks about right. I went with an AEM dry filter that is about the same size as the K&N from GS - 3" inlet, about 8" long. GS will sell you (as they did me) just the filter clamp bracket and not the K&N filter should you want to use another brand.

·
Registered
386 Posts
That looks about right. I went with an AEM dry filter that is about the same size as the K&N from GS - 3" inlet, about 8" long. GS will sell you (as they did me) just the filter clamp bracket and not the K&N filter should you want to use another brand.
Oh, how much if you don't mind my asking? Just the coupler/bracket would be worth it if only to save the hassle of making it. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow. Maybe they can toss it in the box with my Bsr catback:cheesy:

I'd actually prefer a dry filter as I'd rather not deal with the oil possibly fouling the MAF as I know it's prone to do. I'll look into an AEM one. Any idea the model number by chance?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Oh, how much if you don't mind my asking? Just the coupler/bracket would be worth it if only to save the hassle of making it. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow. Maybe they can toss it in the box with my Bsr catback:cheesy:

I'd actually prefer a dry filter as I'd rather not deal with the oil possibly fouling the MAF as I know it's prone to do. I'll look into an AEM one. Any idea the model number by chance?
I recall it being around $25 or so.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts