SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
advice if i should do this or not (just air filter and what not)

ok So someone i met through the saab forums.
He has invited me over for tea and cookies. and also to change my air filter LOL!

but what he wants to do is to possibly remove the airbox. but he's afraid that water might get into the turbo. so i think we're going to leave the airbox alone.

2nd thing he wants to do is to tilt the stock blow off valve and point it towards the hood. he said that it's a way to make my car sound more aggressive.

what do you guys think of this?

~Mike

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha
it's funny how you said that.
try to avoid puddles
the look on my face was "... what?!"

ok. so i think i get the picture. The turbo is essentially shielded from water, but the airbox is an extra precaution right?

and... What happens if water gets into the turbo?

and.. =)
what do you think about tilting the blow off valve towards the hood?
to make.. i guess that sound that all the kids are raving about.

thanks again
~MIke

·
Registered
148 Posts
Simple one really.

If you suck in water through the air filter(depending on how deep the water is & how much or how little of the air box you have, in any quantity) & it gets to the engine....Bye Bye engine!:nono;

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
The BOV (dump valve) has 3 pipes connecting it, the 9-5 has a recirculating dump valve with 3 pipes going to it, how does he expect to "tilt" the valve without losing at least one pipe? :roll: If you want the ppssshh sound that the dump valve causes then losing the airbox is the way to go, the dump valve then lets any excess pressure to air in the filter area.

X

·
0 Posts
mfong said:
ok So someone i met through the saab forums.
He has invited me over for tea and cookies. and also to change my air filter LOL!

but what he wants to do is to possibly remove the airbox. but he's afraid that water might get into the turbo. so i think we're going to leave the airbox alone.

2nd thing he wants to do is to tilt the stock blow off valve and point it towards the hood. he said that it's a way to make my car sound more aggressive.

what do you guys think of this?

~Mike
Sounds to me like you should have tea and cookies and leave the car alone. Rotating a recirc BOV is gonna make no difference to sound :roll: Just take note about the air box cover, Hydro lock (Water in the engine) is a sure fire way of killing an engine :cry: What air filter are you going for??

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Finn said:
Sounds to me like you should have tea and cookies and leave the car alone. Rotating a recirc BOV is gonna make no difference to sound :roll: Just take note about the air box cover, Hydro lock (Water in the engine) is a sure fire way of killing an engine :cry: What air filter are you going for??
I agree, or maybe chose another friend ;)

As the guys have said the valve on the 9-5 doesnt make a noise as it doesnt vent to the atmosphere, it dumps back into the filter system, rotating it will make no difference.:nono;

An open air filter can suck up water, thats why we have splash guards, if you submerse the standard airbox or its intake (behind the grille) in a flood the water will still get into the engine anyway :eek:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well then. I like regular black tea and i guess i would like some figs. =)

thanks guys. He doesn't have 9-5, but a 9000. but it's really nice, i saw it through his pictures.

the air filter. i'm getting is a regular K&N filter for the car. and I'm getting 12 quarts of mobil1 0w-40 one bay for 70 dollars. good deal?

so ok. scratching off tilting the blow off valve, and removing the airbox. I will just change the air filter, just for the sake of changing it and boasting that i did something to my car. =)

~Mike

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha. how much does one quart cost for mobil 1 0w-40?
on ebay it's 70 dollars for 12 quarts. hahah

when i first joined the forums here, i read some where that some peopel can't get Mobil 1 0w-40. so that's why i was trying to buy online.

any suggestions on where to buy in Boston, or perhaps the Boston Area?

~Mike

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
saabnc said:
Mike, you can pick up Mobil 1 10W-40 in any store. Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts, and it should only be about 5 bucks a quart i believe.
That's not entirely true, I can't find 0W-40 anywhere around me, closest thing they usually have is 10W-40. There's only one store that has 0w-30 by me. :(

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.