SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've finally decided to step up the mods on my 9-5 and I had a few questions about the 3" exhaust bits around. Other than total cost with all the heavy stuff needing to be shipped around the country is there any much difference between whats offered at GS and CTI?
I can't quite make out if anyone has tried the CTI downpipe from previous posts, so is there any input there?

I am really leaning towards CTI for the complete turbo back because of location and potentially getting some help with the DP install from them. I've done a catback previously (on a vdub) but it sounds like there are more than enough space issues fitting the DP. Almost sounds like I've made up my mind but any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
jonneh said:
Hey all, I've finally decided to step up the mods on my 9-5 and I had a few questions about the 3" exhaust bits around. Other than total cost with all the heavy stuff needing to be shipped around the country is there any much difference between whats offered at GS and CTI?
I can't quite make out if anyone has tried the CTI downpipe from previous posts, so is there any input there?

I am really leaning towards CTI for the complete turbo back because of location and potentially getting some help with the DP install from them. I've done a catback previously (on a vdub) but it sounds like there are more than enough space issues fitting the DP. Almost sounds like I've made up my mind but any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
I just installed a GS 3" DP and 3" CTI exhaust on my 2003 Aero. The exhaust fit perfectly. The DP is indeed a work of art, but space is limited and I had a time fitting it. Eventually I just figured out the correct order to tightening all the bolts at the different connection points and it's on there. The sound is fantastic! IMO the GS DP is superior as it deletes that first CAT all together whereas the CTI downpipe retains it; the GS DP however also deletes the second flexpipe whereas the CTI DP has two flexpipes. Honestly I don't see why it would be needed but if SAAB had it on there orginally maybe there was one. Mine doesn't have it and I've had no problems at all, although I bet it would have been easier to fit with the second DP. Do it! Cheers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
j006 said:
the GS DP however also deletes the second flexpipe whereas the CTI DP has two flexpipes. Honestly I don't see why it would be needed but if SAAB had it on there orginally maybe there was one. Mine doesn't have it and I've had no problems at all, although I bet it would have been easier to fit with the second DP.
I was looking at Abb ott DP to purhcase while I'll be in UK next week and I also noticed that that is the only DP with racecat having 2 flexis. They also have a warning about the flexi warranty:
"Warranty On The Flexible Part Of Stainless Steel Exhausts Is Limited To 12 Months. Failure Of This Item Is Normally Attributable To Worn Or Broken Engine Mountings And / Or Exhaust Hangers"

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Turkish Aerolines said:
I was looking at Abb ott DP to purhcase while I'll be in UK next week and I also noticed that that is the only DP with racecat having 2 flexis. They also have a warning about the flexi warranty:
"Warranty On The Flexible Part Of Stainless Steel Exhausts Is Limited To 12 Months. Failure Of This Item Is Normally Attributable To Worn Or Broken Engine Mountings And / Or Exhaust Hangers"
Interesting! I never realized that disclaimer on their site. I suppose the flexpipe is definitely the weak link in the setup.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so let me try to get a few other things straight.
Our cars generally have two CATs, both on the DP? Or is the other somewhere near the center muffler? I have no idea, more just curious. Plus I know you just installed it and most likely haven't run it through emissions in that time but would a race catalyst cause any issues there? From what I think I know (which isn't much) so long as it didn't throw a CEL at that time there'd be no issue.
And then there is the replacement flex pipe with the GS DP, that just hooks up to my stock or aftermarket (CTI) catback? And then no issues not having the 2nd one like you're saying.

It all looks good to me, so long as I can get a hand doing the install of that bit. And since I'm looking to drop some $ at GS I might just pick up the turbo intake pipe as well. Though that looks a little confusing in the description about whether it's good/bad without an ecu upgrade.
Again thanks for all the input and info, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
jonneh said:
Our cars generally have two CATs, both on the DP? Or is the other somewhere near the center muffler? I have no idea, more just curious. Plus I know you just installed it and most likely haven't run it through emissions in that time but would a race catalyst cause any issues there? From what I think I know (which isn't much) so long as it didn't throw a CEL at that time there'd be no issue.
And then there is the replacement flex pipe with the GS DP, that just hooks up to my stock or aftermarket (CTI) catback? And then no issues not having the 2nd one like you're saying.

It all looks good to me, so long as I can get a hand doing the install of that bit. And since I'm looking to drop some $ at GS I might just pick up the turbo intake pipe as well. Though that looks a little confusing in the description about whether it's good/bad without an ecu upgrade.
Stock DP has two CATS, yes. Haven't been thru emissions test yet but Nick says it will be fine. No CEL's to date. My DP was V2 from genuinesaab:

You see we have the flexpipe, then CAT, after that the second o2 sensor which has been relocated on this pipe; you will have to route the wiring differently to hook it up, but no splicing or anything needed. After the o2 sensor connects the straight pipe (this is the bear to get hooked up) which leads to the CAT-back exhaust, which would be a CTI or whatever brand you choose.

When you first install the DP the turbo will spool up like a bat outta h3ll and you will boost further into the red; after a day or so though, the computer will realize it's making too much boost and retard your performance back. Only way to realize hardware mods to their potential is to get the ECU upgrade, but of course you can't do the software upgrade without the hardware first. I'm getting all the hardware first and then flashing straight to stage 3 instead of doing it step by step. It's cheaper in the long run that way.

I have the turbo inlet pipe you speak of; I had a bear of a time fitting it to be honest. The angle was off and the wastegate bracket on top completely obstructed the installation, so after lots of cursing I finally just filed off most of the edge of that bracket. No worries b/c the pipe is held so tightly against the W/G bracket that it ain't goin' anywhere. Crazy I know but that's absolutely the only way it would fit. I told Nick about it and he was dumbfounded, but a couple weeks later I talked to him and he had to let one of his guys go b/c of a problem directly related to the inlet pipe. :confused:

P.S. sweet pic of your ride; I always loved that color Aero:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
jonneh said:

Consider getting the cheaper, and from what I've heard, more effective 06+ intake cobra kit. :cool:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Mine just arrived from Maptun-1 flexy connection,2 lambda fittings.:cheesy:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the input and advice, I'll be sure to update with how it all goes in the spring when I get this all lined up. Maybe earlier because I am getting considerably anxious about taking the mods up a notch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts