SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Nice forum btw...I used to visit saabnet only.
Lots of 9-5 Aero lovers here like me.

I have ordered the above from Genuine saab, but I am quite concerned about emissions or CEL. Nick says it wont throw a CEL and will pass, but I notice that the stock has 2 cats while the new one has only one.
Why did Saab have two cats?

I am also unsure how the O2 sensor will fit so far away since it was much closer in the stock.

Please share your experience about this downpipe, I may have to send it back (before install) if there are issues.

I also read a nice post from j006 about this downpipe, what is your experience now? recommend or not? Also there is mention that CTI downpipe has two cats and two flex pipes like stock. Is it better to get that one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Visse said:
Hi guys,

Nice forum btw...I used to visit saabnet only.
Lots of 9-5 Aero lovers here like me.
Welcome to the light my friend. LOADS more performance info here. SN ain't bad for troubleshooting but the 9-5'ers that are interested in performance over there are few and far between.
Visse said:
I have ordered the above from Genuine saab, but I am quite concerned about emissions or CEL. Nick says it wont throw a CEL and will pass, but I notice that the stock has 2 cats while the new one has only one.
Why did Saab have two cats?
It definitely won't throw a CEL, and it will pass inspection fine. Not sure what the deal is with the stock setup having two CATS, but I bet Nick could give some insight on that one.
Visse said:
I am also unsure how the O2 sensor will fit so far away since it was much closer in the stock.
You will have to unplug the second 02 sensor and re-route it down towards the firewall to where the new 02 hookup is on the genuinesaab DP. You will see that the wire is actually a bit long believe it or not once you re-route it, but no worries it hooks up fine.
Visse said:
I also read a nice post from j006 about this downpipe, what is your experience now? recommend or not? Also there is mention that CTI downpipe has two cats and two flex pipes like stock. Is it better to get that one?
Thanks.
I'm thrilled with the DP. It was a real beast to fit for me personally, but if you connect up everything in the correct order loosely then it will go together fine. It looked like it absolutely wouldn't fit at first, but I finally got it and it's on tight and secure. I was back and forth between getting the full 3" CTI turbo-back or the GS DP / CTI CAT-back combo. I'm really pleased with the latter setup. I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Cheers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks friend!

My dp will be here this week and will install it with a 3" SS muffler etc.

Do you still have a resonator in your setup? Is the car too loud?

How is the performance?...due to the lower back pressure are there any issues?

Do you recommend using new o2 sensors? The '02 Aero has about 85k. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Visse said:
Do you still have a resonator in your setup?
Yes, I have the custom 3" CTI exhaust w/ magnaflow resonator and muffler.

Visse said:
Is the car too loud?
Not at all. Sometimes I think it's too tame actually. Then I go full throttle and that shuts me up. :cheesy:

Visse said:
How is the performance?...
Performance will increase noticeably for about 24-36 hours until the computer learn what's going on; then it will cut back on performance to make stock HP. T7 is smart; you won't realize the real effect of the new hardware without corresponding software upgrades.

Visse said:
due to the lower back pressure are there any issues?
no issues with this at all...

Visse said:
Do you recommend using new o2 sensors? The '02 Aero has about 85k. Thanks.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace them. My car has 50K on it and I just re-used the existing without any problems at all...

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Earlier 9-5s only had one cat.

The cat on the dp on later 9-5s is actually a pre-cat of some sort ... not sure why it was added, but the single cat setup does work just fine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
my car had to cats...i took the second one off since you only need the one between the two o2 sensors...made a noticible difference in my exhaust...and spool up time was definately changed for the better...

so in conclusion i have 1 cat and two magnaflow mufflers on the end...1 on each side...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think the small cat is to get up to operating temperature quicker. If so, it will give a better treat when the car is in the process of warming up. You won't have any problems with CEL or passing emissions testing, though.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
The Genuine Saab downpipe is literally praised around here as being a "piece of art." No reason to sweat at all, it's an incredibly well made piece of equipment backed by LOADS of experience. That's the pipe I am going with this summer when I go stage 3 (SO EXCITED haha :cheesy: ).

I honestly haven't seen a better 9-5 performance forum than this one, and I searched for a while. You'll notice some tuners and every once-in-a-while a Saab engineer will pop on the forum to shed some light on a topic. It's a very very informative website, and we have loads of fun with it. Welcome! :cool:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome :cool: , for performance this forum is excellent and I like performance:cheesy:
Looks like people like the GS dp.
Hopefully I should be able to get the downpipe installed on Friday.

I wonder if I do not use a resonator (for the sake of discussion) and have only a muffler (leaning towards Magnaflow or Bosal) after the DP, will it be too loud? or other issues?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Turkish Aerolines said:
Can someone please let me understand if middle resonator and silencer/muffler are the same thing in principal?
Yes they are ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turned out to be a flop! Yes the gs dp...the mechanic spent 2 hrs or so, taking the old exhaust out and then informs me that the new dp will not fit my car. He even spoke to Nick and sent him pictures...the auto tranny is in the way! He cant get it in.

Nick thinks the '02 auto tranny could block and was quite surprised too. What do you guys think? I may now go only for a catback.

Anyways, FYI, the dp does not fit the auto tranny on the aero.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Visse said:
Turned out to be a flop! Yes the gs dp...the mechanic spent 2 hrs or so, taking the old exhaust out and then informs me that the new dp will not fit my car. He even spoke to Nick and sent him pictures...the auto tranny is in the way! He cant get it in.

Nick thinks the '02 auto tranny could block and was quite surprised too. What do you guys think? I may now go only for a catback.

I STRUGGLED with my DP all afternoon/evening trying to make it fit. My problem was the cross brace just beyond the cat was in the way. I actually tried with a buddy once and couldn't get it to fit, but it was late and we were both tired and getting frustrated. I called Nick the next day and told him the DP didn't fit, which he was very surprised at of course. He said that he had a 2003 Aero he was gonna break down and fit the DP to just to make sure the jig hadn't gotten off. I told him that I was gonna have one more go at it over the weekend, and I took my time and got it finally, but it was a beast to fit! I called Nick back the next Monday and he said that he tried to fit it on the Aero he had and it bolted up no problem. I let him know that I finally got mine on and I apologized for jumping the gun on him. See this link for my install steps: 3" SS turbo back install

One thing to remember is that these cars are designed with very little adjustment to play with, so when you are trying to fit something say 50% bigger in the same spot, it's gonna be tight. Sometimes really tight. Same thing happened with the install on my big intake pipe. The wastegate bracket bolt was in the way, so I had to end up removing the top one and filing down the bracket to fit the thing. Crazy I know and I hated to do it but that's the only way it would fit. Some have issues, others don't. Each car is a bit different I guess. I should've just gotten the new intake cobra and the machined housing and swapped that out, but I couldn't really be without the car for a couple days and I know it would've taken me that long to break everything down to replace it. I may tackle that install this spring when I get my courage up a bit.

Of course I haven't seen your pics and it sounds like you may have a completely different situation with that autobox, but I'm pretty sure Nick's Mom's car is an auto and it's a 2003 Aero, so....who knows? Hey man best of luck I hope it works out. Cheers.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Visse said:

:confused: ....i have the gs dp on my auto aero.

most everyone who's changed their dp can attest to the difficulty getting it fit. the approach that seems to cause the least difficulty is to bolt everything up loosely first, then tighten.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm, looks like you guys are suggesting I try again :eek: . Nick did mention about the '03 Aero and that it fit that, however he also acknowledges that the '02 auto could be different (unique year with 5 spd and no paddle shift, I love this tranny btw, much better than my '03 auto tranny).

I dont know what to do, I am leaning towards just a catback to keep it simple.
(Tell me what to do)
j006, I dont know why it has to be so hard to install the downpipe. I dont know what the mechanic tried (I was not there), but he was convinced it would not fit without banging the dp up.

Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Visse said:
Hmmm, looks like you guys are suggesting I try again :eek: . Nick did mention about the '03 Aero and that it fit that, however he also acknowledges that the '02 auto could be different (unique year with 5 spd and no paddle shift, I love this tranny btw, much better than my '03 auto tranny).

I dont know what to do, I am leaning towards just a catback to keep it simple.
(Tell me what to do)
j006, I dont know why it has to be so hard to install the downpipe. I dont know what the mechanic tried (I was not there), but he was convinced it would not fit without banging the dp up.

Merry Christmas.
I'm not sure that the '02 tranny could be far enough off to cause it not to fit. I'd for sure give it another go, lots have been reporting a tough time fitting it as there is no space whatsoever.

Also, is it such a problem that the downpipe might have a couple scratches on it after install? It'll still operate the same, you don't see it anyway, so why does it have to be pretty? :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since I cant install the gs dp due to fit problems, the plan now is install a 2.5" SS CATBACK. My mechanic is suggesting that he can leave the first stock cat, ELIMINATE the second cat and have the new resonator, muffler etc. from there.

Guys do you think this is a problem? Will it give me codes or fail emissions?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts