1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 9-5 Estate 1.9 TiD Auto
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Bit of an odd one, but here goes...

Bought the car last year through eBay, and have only started using it as my daily driver within the last month of so. Previous owner only provided 1x Key, and said that the remote central locking didn't work for long after he'd replaced the battery and hadn't replaced the battery since then.

Now, I've tried 2x Panasonic batteries from a reputable eBay seller - I thought I'd struck gold when the key sprang into life and worked for a day with the first battery. Also tried a Varta battery from a reputable online seller with poor results.

If you keep hammering the buttons long enough, the car will unlock maybe 10% of the time, and then throws up a message to replace the key fob battery etc.

I've already tried cleaning the 'battery side' of the key's internals using IPA, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I'm also a bit scared the tamper with the key too much, as that's the only one I have with the car!

Wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar, or could offer any advice?

TIA,

Adam

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
First of all, you need to get a second key before you lose this one, or its transponder (separate from the remote) dies and you are into a lot more part swapping.

Get a second key cut, and get a three-button module for the key, working used is fine. Someone with a Tech II can program the second key with its remote to the car. Use that key.

You should measure the voltage of the batteries you are using. If they're low, then the remote won't work properly. Why not just buy new batteries from a druggist, or whoever it is who sells batteries in the UK? There could be an issue with the remote doing something funny, but you do need to start with verified proper new batteries that measure to spec when new. Obviously if after a few days in the key they are flat, then the remote module is an issue.

But even then all is not lost, you can get another remote module, program it to your car, and install it in your original key. Keep the "bad" module as an emergency backup, as long as the transponder works it can be used in a key head to at least start the car.

Note that the remotes use different frequencies in different markets, so you need to verify that the module is set up for whatever the UK uses. You might as well find someone with the Tech II, maybe a shop, because you will need that to program the extra module(s). The shop should know what you need.

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
Fob battery is CR1632.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Agree with above. If you lose the remaining key you're into a world of pain. Firstly the ignition cylinder will only come out if the key is rotated to the OFF position / roughly straight ahead. We often read of people needing the cylinder out for mechanical failure reasons.

Be advised that when you do get another key electronic module (once you have the battery cover off, it easily pushes out), it can only be married to the car (with the GM Tech 2 diagnostic thing) if the car's original one is also present.

Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts