SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gathering opinions here...

I'm replacing the dash speakers in my NG900, but does it really matter what kind you get for just the 3.5s? Obviously I won't by the cheapest of cheaps, but how do you compare Rockford Fosgate to Kenwood to Pioneer to MB Quart and so on? They all sound about the same and cost about the same too...

So does it really matter which you choose?

AB

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If all you're going to do is replace them in the stock location.. get cheap ones. They are anything BUT well-engineered for soundstage and all that other crap.
If you are looking for "better sound", you need to move those, and make them aim-able.

so.. yes; cheap. Just make sure they're not paper. The sun will kill 'em.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If they all sound the same & are priced about the same get the cheapest ones. If you do like the sound of the tweeters on one of the brands then spend a little more & get them but since it sounds like you cannot tell the difference it's not worth it!

Of the brands you listed MB Quarts would be on the top of my list. Usuall very bright sounding but the best of what you listed. Pioneer would be at the bottom of my list....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
At least get some 2-way speakers and not co-axials. You will get an improvement over the stock ones but it's not major. Replacing the stock rear 6x9's is the biggest improvement.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1oldsaabman said:
Of the brands you listed MB Quarts would be on the top of my list.
Top on my list too based on previous recomendations for other sizes. A lot of people swear by them, but they tend to be about $20 more though than the others. There are also others out I didn't mention, like JBL, Eclipse, BLAUPUNKT, Alpine, etc., but I get mixed reviews on all those.

Shirozina said:
Replacing the stock rear 6x9's is the biggest improvement.
That's where I spent most of my money :) I bought the best I could afford and best I saw reviews of. So at this point I think I'll have one of everything... JBL 6x9s in back, Polk Audio 6.5s in doors, and probably MB Quarts or Eclipse in the dash. Will have to let everyone know how this ends up!

AB

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I loved an old set of Eclipse Speekers. I had.

I got them @ "tweeter" years ago.
not sure who carries them out your way...
but I'm sure you'll end up grabbing them on ebay ;)

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
ABorkat said:
That's where I spent most of my money :) I bought the best I could afford and best I saw reviews of. So at this point I think I'll have one of everything... JBL 6x9s in back, Polk Audio 6.5s in doors, and probably MB Quarts or Eclipse in the dash. Will have to let everyone know how this ends up!

AB
Consider that money spent towards a future upgrade. The stock head unit puts out so little power that it can't make good use of good speakers in the back. I put a set of very expensive Boston Acoustics 6"x9" speakers in the back and there was hardly a difference between those and the stock speakers. Once I added an external amp, they sounded much better.

·
Registered
694 Posts
i got a set of orion components; i put the tweeters in the dash with custom made brackets, and the 6 1/2's the the doors; put crossovers in place of the stock amp under the dash, and a 4 channel amp in the trunk to power the front and rear speakers. made a world of difference

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I put JL audio 2 way speakers up front, there is a huge difference in the clarity of the sound, which to me is extremely important. There is however one draw back to upgrading these speakers, if you like to listen to somewhat loud music, they will tend to blow after about eight months of hard service, they tend to blow. I'm planning on fitting 5 inch speakers up there eventually, but for now what I have is good enough.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
ABorkat said:
Obviously I won't by the cheapest of cheaps, but how do you compare Rockford Fosgate to Kenwood to Pioneer to MB Quart and so on? They all sound about the same and cost about the same too...

So does it really matter which you choose?
YES! Imaging varies VERY MUCH across these smaller speakers.

I just bought some Boston Acoustics S45speakers and there is a HUGE difference in clarity over the stock ones,
and a huge difference even between these and the tweeters on my
new Kenwood Excelon 6x9's. Very Very Crisp highs, i can only
imagine how much better non-budget boston speakers are. Make sure you get bass blockers 150hz are fine, 300hz if your really booming though!

You wont realize how bad the stock speakers, and most cheap speakers hiss at high trebble until you get some that are really nice, they are so freaking clear!

·
Registered
83 Posts
in my car i replaced mine with some pioneer 3.5, then a few weeks later i went to a two way component set. but now i have them in a three way active setup off an amp, and its awesome. but in your case i would definitly save up and buy a little component set for up front.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I replaced all my speakers with Infinity Reference (closest impedance match to OEM). The small dash speakers an the door speakers made the biggest difference....the dash speakers added a lot to the clarity of the sound. Imaging in car does not exist as far as I know, so don't worry about that. Unless you plan on adding an aftermarket amp for the rear speakers, replacing the 6x9 is a waste of money IMO.

Probably anything half decent that you buy will sound bettter than OEM for the fronts. All the best,
Robert

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your input everyone!

Since I blew one of the stock dash speakers today, it looks like I'll be buying new one's sooner than expected. I blew the rear 6x9s (didn't fry them, but broke apart the foam surround) two weeks ago, which I think means I listen to my music too loud :cheesy:

Anyway, I think I also found a good solution. I found a new set of JBL 3.5s, so they'd match the new 6x9s. More importantly though, they are 2 ohm speakers. Since I'm running the 4 ohm Polk Audio door speakers in series from the dash, that would put me at 6 ohms for all the front speakers vs. 8 ohms if I got most any other brand of dash speakers.

I've also used JBL in other cars over the years and have been pretty happy with them. They're no Infinity or Boston Acoustics, but I think they should be just fine! :cool:

AB

·
Registered
772 Posts
Since it sounds like you blow speakers, get a set of caps which cut the bass out of the dash 3.5's. You could probably cut them off at 400hz or 800hz & doing that will drastically increase their life!!!

If the rear foam cracked, probably due to age, sun, heat. Usually playing a speaker loud will cause the voicecoil to seize up or break, it has nothing to do with the surround.

With the MB Quart stuff, I personally have never been a fan due to how bright they are. Some love them.... I am not one :)

Just sucks infinity will not bring back their emit tweeter, love the sound of those!!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I put some bass blockers on a while ago, b ut they made them sound like crap, I had to take them out, they cut all the base, if I could find some that just cut the really low stuff, I might try again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts