SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a lovely 2001 9-5 SE equipped with the 3.0L V6. It has been fairly hassle free its' whole life. However, since it's 120k mile service I have been fighting with a persistent oil leak. Its quite small, nothing sever: it leaves a half dollar sized puddle wherever it parks.

I have a great mechanic who has tried a few things already including replacing the front seals, oil pan seal, oil pressure switch (x2), left bank gaskets and even replacing the PCV. We felt really confident on the last go around when the oil pan seal was replaced. However, after I got home - lil puddle of oil on the floor.

So I slid under the car to take a look around and saw what appears to be oil seeping from the pan gasket or just collecting around it. However, there was also oil all around the pressure switch. Above the pan it looks pretty clean, I do not see any streams of oil or any other helpful queues. The oil leak is only on the side of the pan closest to the passenger side wheel. It pools on the bolts, then runs down the pan.

While I was in there I also noticed it looked like the wheel coming of the crank was missing a bolt. Is that normal?

Any suggestions or experience with a similar leak would be appreciated. I have read the chain tensioner is a popular spot along with the oil pressure switch. But having replaced the oil pressure switch twice I have a hard time thinking it is guilty. Any advice is appreciated.

Sorry if the pictures are not very good. I'm not exactly gumby.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
My v6 was leaking oil from the oil cooler, a new cooler and seals cured the problem. In my case I could see the oil puddle around the cooler with a flashlight, it never left droppings but the underside of the engine was always covered with a oil layer.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well your leak is not being fixed....sad to say. and obviously.
If you pay someone to fix a leak they need to fix they leak, or are they saying it is a new leak?
It is a process of elimination and so you should not have to go back and re-do things. I am not trying to be harsh on your mechanic, but sometimes to find out what is wrong you do need to go thru a few things but usually not a few times.

Next, NO that is not normal to be missing a bolt on your crank pulley.
What would be normal would be to have all 6 bolts in place...
It could maybe make things out of balance...???

Oil has to be followed, leaks have to be eliminated 1 by 1.
best of luck, sorry for late reply....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did think the 5 bolts looked a bit odd.

Also wanted to add that I understand the limited perspective and scenario I depicted do not look good; however, with more than half a million miles in service over four cars I assure you he is a top notch mechanic. Only the oil pressure sensor was replaced twice simply because of the location of the oil (and of course the hope that the fix would be easy!). I'll also add it is no dealership or untrustworthy garage - the replaced seals have been under cost or free of charge. We both want it out of his shop!

We are running some dye through it now. I will post what we find. Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
oil leak5

Is there anybody out there that has a breakdown of the intermediate shaft on a 2000 saab 9-5 v6 passenger side?. I have been getting an oil leak from a seal that goes on this shaft but I haven't been able to find a picture of it. Please help!!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did think the 5 bolts looked a bit odd.

Also wanted to add that I understand the limited perspective and scenario I depicted do not look good; however, with more than half a million miles in service over four cars I assure you he is a top notch mechanic. Only the oil pressure sensor was replaced twice simply because of the location of the oil (and of course the hope that the fix would be easy!). I'll also add it is no dealership or untrustworthy garage - the replaced seals have been under cost or free of charge. We both want it out of his shop!

We are running some dye through it now. I will post what we find. Thanks again!
Ok..I have questioned your mechanic, and we are going with a pass, sounds like he is a good one...a lot will keep on charging you and making up stuff but you know that.

Belt tensioner could be the culprit.... also leaks up in the belt housing including the valve cover leaking inside of the plastic timing belt cover draining down on the inside then appearing on outside near bottom at oil pressure sensor??? There are places behind that cover at the top where a leak can start...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Is there anybody out there that has a breakdown of the intermediate shaft on a 2000 saab 9-5 v6 passenger side?. I have been getting an oil leak from a seal that goes on this shaft but I haven't been able to find a picture of it. Please help!!!
Welcome to the site, your problems is really not related to this one.
You have a transmission fluid leak from the intermediate shaft.
If it is the intermediate shaft the leak should be toward the left side where it connects to trans.
But you have posted in wrong place and kind of hijacked JOV0's thread.
I dont want to post a huge list here.
Can you repost your question as a New Thread;
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19
Use "New Thread" link
Intermediate Shaft Oil Leak Help! New Member
or what ever you want to say.....

I will send you a PM private message with some info, but post a new thread.
Check you PM's
Sorry JOV0 and Welcome Ocervan

·
Registered
867 Posts
Thats great. It did sound like it was somewhere higher up.;ol;

1 - 9 of 9 Posts