SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only got one key and one fob for my '95 SAAB 9k Aero when I bought it. Do we have the same $225 keys are the 9-2,3,5 folks???? I sure hope not!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If your Aero has the same key as my '95cse, it won't cost you $225 to have one made. Likely $24 at a dealership. Mech cheaper but not $2.95.

I wish I can go to any key smith to have it made like my beat up Volvo 940.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I should complain to teh stealership that sold me the car and ask them to get me another key and a owners manual! $24 for the key and $8.46 for teh manual.:lol:

·
Registered
590 Posts
I needed another key for my 96 Aero, bought a blank on ebay for $8, drove the car to a locksmith, gave them the original and had another made up in 5 minutes for $30.

Then, the locksmith told me they could have supplied the blank!

Is that the norm, or was I just lucky?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really!!

You local locksmith was able to do a '90's SAAB 9000 key!! I should look around for a local guy to do mine!!

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Key is cheap, fob will be pricey assuming it is the remote alarm activator. However, the SAAB alarm (in NA market at least) is activated and deactivated when you lock and unlock the door with just the key, the remote fob isn't required.

I have three keys and two fobs. It is no problem using only the key as long as you don't need the remote feature.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Robinb said:
I needed another key for my 96 Aero, bought a blank on ebay for $8, drove the car to a locksmith, gave them the original and had another made up in 5 minutes for $30.

Then, the locksmith told me they could have supplied the blank!

Is that the norm, or was I just lucky?

You consider paying $38 for a spare key lucky? Your locksmith made the stealer look like an angel. I only pay $24 at the dealership.

I would be very hesitant getting a key made at any average joe locksmith. These keys require a special cutting machine. At my dealership a few years ago, the key person made three attempts, wasted three blanks in the process, and he could not duplicate a key for my 94cs. Eventually he took my VIN and ordered from SAAB USA, for $24.

Just imagine your locksmith screwed up.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well, it was Canadian $, and it was done right the first time. Maybe my locksmith knew something yours didn't.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
When I bought our Saab, it only had the one key. I got two copies made by our local shoe-repair & key cutting store for 12GBP, and haven't had a problem with either of the keys.

Kenneth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts