SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK for the 2nd time in 5 years I need a new clutch. This after 17k miles. To tell the truth I believe that it is just the slave cylinder as for the puddle of oil on the driveway and the clutch was working fine one week before. But since I am doing the slave should I do the clutch anyway just to be safe side? I am looking for advice as to which one I should buy this time. The last time it went I had an independent Saab mechanic do it. So I am not sure what he used. I found these at eEuro but would welcome any other suggestions. Also what special tools do I need other then Clutch pressure plate spacer tool?

eEuroparts has 2 kits:

Genuine Saab
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=8781346G

And Sachs
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=8781346A

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Checked your clutch line for a rupture? Have some one press on the pedal after you wipe the hose portion as dry as possible and see if there is any leakage. Will puddle just about where the slave cylinder sits, but wear safety glasses or eye protection since if the line IS bad, it may spray while you are inspecting it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping that what you suggested was true but that was the first thing I checked when this happened and it is as dry as a bone there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just got done doing this job. I tried to use the method prescribed by Dr. Rock, but I had the pressure plate offset during insertion of the bolts. If at all possible try and get the Saab special lever tool from your local shop. Pay the indie Saab shop $20 or case of beer or whatever to borrow the tool after hours. It is worth going the extra mile to procure that tool.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If you're loosing fluid then cure that, there is no reason why you should need to change the clutch again.
Ditto. Cure the leak, the clutch is probably OK after 17K. It's probably the slave seals. New seals or new slave, it's up to you, dependant on slave cylinder surfaces. With some clutches you can remove the slave without touching the clutch. Hope yours is one of these.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I had the Slave and the master cylinder replaced with the clutch. But if I can get away without having to do the clutch this time it would be much less work for me plus around $250. less money. I would feel much more confident to only have to do the slave.

Any pit falls to this job? Can I do it alone, or do I need someone else helping?

I really need to get my Saab back on the road as my other ride is a gas hog and is killing me $$. Plus I would much rather be driving my vert.

Thanks, SL

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You can do it on your own if you're handy, about one and half hours. 17k clutch? I get 50k+ out of mine. If your lucky, you won't need to touch the clutch, but some you do to get the slave out. I've had slaves leak after new seals and done 'em again and they're OK. If you do need to remove the clutch you will need a clutch compression tool. Good luck Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts