SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is getting a bit frustrating. Yesterday morning it took 27 attempts before the steering wheel unlocked and I was able to start the car. This has been an ongoing issue for the car (randomly, but happens more often after the car has sat overnight in the garage).

However, it has NEVER taken this many attempts to start the car. All I get is "Remove Key, Turn Wheel, Restart." The steering clicks, but does not unlock. Or it will unlock and then lock again right away. This happens with both keys. But once it's started for the day it doesn't seem to have the same problem until the next morning (typically).

How big of an issue is this? Major repair?

Car is being taken to dealer on Monday! They said to bring both keys.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Never heard of this with any car. Best of luck.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Interestingly that happened to me last night, went to start the car after Dinner, had to turn the Key and give the wheel a yank to unlock the column/Ignition, happens every now and then. Already had the Steering column lock replaced under TSB.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happened again this morning after the car sat for the night. Took 13 attemps to start (6 with usual key, and 7 with spare key). I don't think it has to do with the keys. Steering wheel does not unlock and message "remove key, turn wheel, restart" appears.

It didn't happen at all the rest of the day and car was started 5 times with no errors. Sooo strange! I've made a video of the incident happening and will show it to the dealer tomorrow when car is brought in for service.

This is really getting annoying though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you holding the wheel out of the lock position? This happens to me every once in while (very rarely) but when it does, I need to hold the wheel out of the lock position and on the first try I get the wheel unlocked. I am not sure if I am saying it correctly but the wheel - when it locks - has a small range in which you can turn left and right (probably a cm or two). At least with my wheel, when it locks, it rests on one of the two extremes (either all the way to the left or right of this range - meaning it can move a little in one direction but its completely locked from moving the other direction) and in that position, no matter how many times i put the key in and out, it will not unlock. I push the wheel to the middle of that range (so it's not resting on one of the sides of the lock) then insert the key and it unlocks.

you may already do this....just wanted to share what happens to me

hope it gets fixed soon

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
monsaab said:
There is another thread on a Saab recall of sorts.
Some Saab owners have been issued letters. It seems the recall is to replace an ECM to help starting the car.

Here's the thread:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114358
That thread has nothing to do with this steering lock issue, that's an emmisions/software recall for 07's

Interestingly in the last two days I've had that same steering lock message and situation several times. I'm currently searching around looking at similar reports.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JonV said:
That thread has nothing to do with this steering lock issue, that's an emmisions/software recall for 07's

Interestingly in the last two days I've had that same steering lock message and situation several times. I'm currently searching around looking at similar reports.
Dealer loaded "new software package" to the car and now issues has NOT come back in two weeks! Menus have changed a little ... under the SERVICE menu there is no % showing anymore it's just "---" like in my mother's 08.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
tozion said:
Dealer loaded "new software package" to the car and now issues has NOT come back in two weeks! Menus have changed a little ... under the SERVICE menu there is no % showing anymore it's just "---" like in my mother's 08.
You are talking about the recent 07 recall:

"November 2007
Dear Saab owner,

This notice is sent to inform you that Saab automobile AB is conducting a voluntary emission recall that includes your vehicle.

Reason for this recall: Your 2007 model year Saab 9-3 was built with an incorrectly calibrated engine control module, which could result in an enging that is, in some cases, difficult to start. " ......

We are talking about a steering column/ignition lock malfunction. Got it?:roll:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JonV said:
You are talking about the recent 07 recall:

"November 2007
Dear Saab owner,

This notice is sent to inform you that Saab automobile AB is conducting a voluntary emission recall that includes your vehicle.

Reason for this recall: Your 2007 model year Saab 9-3 was built with an incorrectly calibrated engine control module, which could result in an enging that is, in some cases, difficult to start. " ......

We are talking about a steering column/ignition lock malfunction. Got it?:roll:
Excuse me... I'm the OP of this thread and I'm relaying what happened to me when I took the car to the dealer. I'm well aware of the recall and it was installed as well and a "new software package" was installed. The menus in the SID are slightly different as well.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
OK, there is and has been an existing Steering lock problem (TSB & Sevice Campaign replacing steering columns and locks) on 03's, with all respect it is a separate issue from the 07 software recall which deals with ECU, emmissions and rough starting.

I think the dealer may have dealt with your steering lock issue by reflashing the CIM (Column Integrattion Module) which controls the SCL (steering column lock) and reprogramming your keys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts