SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking into this event, has anyone done it here yet? I was thinking of getting an old classic 900 for the event. Just starting to research the event.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sirhc said:
Just looking into this event, has anyone done it here yet? I was thinking of getting an old classic 900 for the event. Just starting to research the event.
if you can find a raped 900 turbo for under $500 you'd be set.

Never looked into it, but they talk about lemons on jalopnik.com all the time

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've got a team shaping up for the New England race this summer.. Not sure of the car yet, I've got a line on a '98 Neon or we might check out the police auctions as we get closer to the event. A C900 would be cool, but I'm thinking we're going to stick with something more indestructible.

·
Registered
762 Posts
comtrang said:
You can also ask a couple people on here about it. JK is one, can't remember who else, though.
Yup I did one with a few folks (I'm JK on Saablink). We were/are Team Cougar Bait, and our car, "TCB1" was a 1991 Saab 9000 Turbo 5 speed.

If you think it is as simple as getting a $500 car and entering, you're probably going to be in for some sticker shock.

When all was said and done it cost our team of 6 drivers of $1200 each. That cost could be a lot less if you found a car that already has a cage, and if you already have the correct fire protection gear and correct Snell SA2000 (or better) helmet you will save yourself at least $400 right there. Gas and RV rental were also significant expenses for us since we were around 12 hours away from the track.

It is not "cheap" but for wheel to wheel racing it is a pretty good bargain! This year we have some of the expensive stuff out of the way. The car was $200, bits of the cage are were salvaged from last year's TCB1 car. We all have fire suits and Snell SA2008 helmets already, we have a race seat already, battery box, battery cable and emergency shut-off system, etc. We still have to count on dropping cash on brakes, suspension, and LOTS of wheels and tires. We went through 2 full sets of Azenis last year, this year we'll be at a track with a lot more corners.

Due to a crash less than 50 laps in we had some significant set-backs, but we made up tons of ground after being out of the running for 4 hours and finished in the top 25 (we were top 20 at one point, but had motor failure near the end, so we stopped to make sure we would finish under the checkered flag). We won a trophy for "Most Heroic Fix" and ended up with one of the fastest cars despite our terribly crushed sub frame.

If you want to read more we had live updates from the race which can still be seen, along with some wrap-up info, at culture|garage: http://culturegarage.com/category/cougarbait/

This is what it looked like AFTER we "fixed" it.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm no expert on the race, but I plan on doing one per year for as long as I can! This year's car is a 1994 900 V6. Why a V6? Because we are gluttons for punishment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
Topher
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing