SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys ( and gals ),
About to order some 18's and am just down to one last decision. What do you guys think? I know the 235s will offer a little more sidewall and bit 'softer' ride, but do you think it would be a noticable difference from the 225s?
Basically I wanna go with the 225s, but am nervous of it being too harsh.
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I must be missing something, the sidewall on those sizes is the same...40, the only thing I see different is the Width. Although Rim width would come into play also. I don't think you'll notice that difference...but you'll definitely notice the difference going from the Linears 16's to 18's...it won't be better.

Edit: Actually a 4mm dif (.2 in) going by http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
121 Posts
JonV said:
I must be missing something, the sidewall on those sizes is the same...40, the only thing I see different is the Width. Although Rim width would come into play also. I don't think you'll notice that difference...but you'll definitely notice the difference going from the Linears 16's to 18's...it won't be better.

Edit: Actually a 4mm dif (.2 in) going by http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Actually the sidewalls are different. Remember the 40 is not a size, but a percentage of that width, so if one is going for the 235 you are actually going to have more sidewall than with a 225.

A noticeable difference depending on road conditions.

Cheers,

darod.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Re: post 3

Yes I realized that after the fact, thats why I went to the size calculator...but .2 in..that dif could be moot depending on Rim width, Tread type/depth and some wear, against the 2 inch Rim Size change, it's nothing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
cdgLA said:
Hi Guys ( and gals ),
About to order some 18's and am just down to one last decision. What do you guys think? I know the 235s will offer a little more sidewall and bit 'softer' ride, but do you think it would be a noticable difference from the 225s?
Basically I wanna go with the 225s, but am nervous of it being too harsh.
Thanks a lot.
I went through that too. I was recommended by BBS to go with a 225/40 on an 18x7.5 wheel. If I had an 18x8 wheel they would have recommended and 234/40.

BBS told me that the 225 would be a better fit for the 7.5" width of the wheel. I doubt you'll notice a difference in ride between one and the other. The difference is only 40% of 10mm, so 4mm won't make it noticeably smoother or harder.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks JonV,
much appreciated. I'm actually looking forward to the dif. from 16 to 18. I find the ride on the stock 16's/stock tires to mushy and am looking to stiffin it up, but was reading on a post from MACH http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99733&highlight=wheels+body that he went with the 235's to give it more sidewall and a bit softer ride. That's wear my confusion came in. For 0.2 " I think I'll go with the 225s.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks AeroMiami,
They are 7.5"s. That's all I needed to hear. Decision made!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I wish you well with that...my choice would have been lowering springs and Koni's with 17's...only because 18's are not my cup of tea... ;) Post your review...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts