SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 02 saab 9-3 B205R and i never hear the low speed fan come on, i only hear the high speed fan when the coolant temp reaches about 232. is this normal? i do have proper coolant levels and no CEL's with the cooling system. engine bay does seem a little too hot. i can almost burn myself if i lean over on the valve cover.

·
Registered
257 Posts
232 is on the hot side, low speed fan should run around 212F/100C, I believe. Also, I believe only low speed will run after engine is shut off, so if you don't get post-drive engine-off fan running occasionally, that would be another indicator that points to the low-speed fan not working.

Hopefully your problem is just the low speed fan relay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
let me go and try to jump the relay now. i did also notice that i was only pushing to base boost. so maybe the temp is related to it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jumped pins 30 and 87. and nothing. i did the same for the high speed and the fans kicked on so it tells me now that my low speed fan resister is toast. ahh more work again.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
jumped pins 30 and 87. and nothing. i did the same for the high speed and the fans kicked on so it tells me now that my low speed fan resister is toast. ahh more work again.
I probably have the same problem with my Saab, but I just ignore it. Scrapping the thing out soon anyway

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
I probably have the same problem with my Saab, but I just ignore it. Scrapping the thing out soon anyway
My '97 2.3L does not have a low speed fan relay in the first place. So there's only one possible fan speed. Take a look in the relay tray on the firewall: there may be a void where the relay would go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i looked at the relay. there is a high and low. it looks like the low speed relay has been tampered with because the plastic clip holding it was broken. i have to change my abs module and now the fan relay, and the other day my car wouldent start and after i tapped on the starter solenoid, it started. so i need a new starter solenoid now. ahhhh so much work :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts