SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have had my 2001 9-3 automatic for a month now. I drive 2 miles each way to and from work. Other short trips as well. SID says average speed is 18mph.

Anyway, I had to fill up at 231 miles. The car took 16 gallons. Does that sound right? I know turbo's (and cars in general) don't like this hot weather, but does that range seem too bad? Or pretty much normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have a 2000 9-3 SE HOT automatic and I can tell you that I get crappy mileage if I am doing light city driving and short distances. IF you hold the button to the left of the set button you can clear the SID and mileage and see if it chagnes. Dont worry about your average speed number as it is never right. If you clear your SID and take a nice freeway drive with light throttle and you should see around 25 to 31mpg. Around town since i have a heavy foot I get on average 16.5 to 17MPG so your mileage does not sound too off. Also put in a new set of plugs to see if you get some more efficiency.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
These short trips are murder on fuel economy and the life of an Otto or Diesel engine..

Better an electric vehicle or a bicycle or walking. That is in the future of course, when cities are under domes.
Expect 15 to 18 mpg and an engine life of 50 to 75 K miles...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i did get to blow it out on the highway for about 30 minutes the other day. but that is going to be MAYBE a weekly thing, but usually every other week. even with synthetic you don't think my engine will last past 75k miles? its got 23,800 on it now.

thats not very comforting at all. at least it will take me a few more years to get to 75k.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Do your oil changes and get it out and blow it out weekly and keep your maintenance up and you will not have a problem with engine life. My 1986 C900 Turbo has 243,000 miles on the clock and still ticks away in true saab fashion. If taken care of they will run along time.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Keep up with maintenance and treat the car well and it'll do well over 75k, 175k, perhap even 275k. My C900 is somewhere in the 190k area, and my NG900's engine is around 120k.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
We'll I may not be a great comparison, but I will give you my data anyway for comparison sake.

'02 93 SE HOT 5 speed
75% highway but using plenty of boost, I-95 is survival of the fittest :)
AC has been on a lot lately

Average MPG 27.8
17 GAL Tank
Miles per tank = 445

Now when I first got the car I rarely used the AC, and was getting closer to 30 MPG

That would be around 500 miles per tank.

IIRC I did reset my SID once when I was driving around town(not an accurate calculation really) and I think I was getting low 20's.

I am not sure if 5 speed makes that much of a difference. When I am driving I shift at pretty low points...usually around 2800-3000 which is before the boost really kicks in.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yeah, I am quite amazed, I never thought I would get this kind of mileage, especially with AC, and it being hot. I drive round trip ~60 miles to work and back each day, and I fill up once a week(unless I have a long weekend road trip).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts