SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I shouldn't really boast - but I thought I must share this with you guys!

My 2000 Aero averages approx 20mpg 'around town', and I often have a bit of a grumble to myself ...... however...... on a recent long run on the M1 I manged to get my computer to read "40mpg"!!

What a huge difference to my pitifall 20mpg!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
RobinHood said:
I know I shouldn't really boast ............Cheers!
Excellent, shows the cars fine, its the damn traffic :roll:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have no idea what it would be in MPG as we do it in Litres per 100 km here but with my wife and me driving around the city we've been getting 12l/100km. Yesterday on a 400 km trip up to the Hunter Valley on freeway and fast country roads i got it down to 8l/100km. Got to get out of town more often:D

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
As I like to stay agead of the tax-man I can account through a spreadsheet for every penny I have put in the tank over the last 2 1/2 years. I recently experienced the odd occasion when the car failed to start after turning the key. After reading up on this site I changes the 'crank-shaft position sensor'. An item which doesn't report to SID.

Cured the starting problem ~ and in the last two months has given me an extra 4-5mpg on town runs (12 miles a day, no open roads). A shift from 22-23mpg to 26-28mpg. :D
With these rising fuel prices every penny counts.;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
mawal said:
Cured the starting problem ~ and in the last two months has given me an extra 4-5mpg on town runs (12 miles a day, no open roads). A shift from 22-23mpg to 26-28mpg. :D With these rising fuel prices every penny counts.;)
Excellent news, well done ;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
How much is the cps ?

Is it only available from dealers ?

Is it easy fast job to change ?

My average fuel consumption over thousands of miles had flattened down at 27.2 mpg on shell optimax
2 weeks ago , i increased tyre pressures to 38psi, and it has already increased to 28.4mpg after about (600 miles or so ).
As you know, if you have not reset the average mpg for a long time, then it does not change so dramatically so i will continue to monitor it to see where it flattens down at

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Thedriver said:
How much is the cps ?
About £65 ish :confused:

Thedriver said:
Is it only available from dealers ?
Yes or PFS ;)

Thedriver said:
Is it easy fast job to change ?
Yes relatively but make sure the engine is stone cold! :eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi,

I went on a highway trip this weekend and only got about 22-23 mpg. I did have a bike on top of my 9-5, how much do you think this takes off??

Dave

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
A bike on the roof will have a big effect on fuel consumption, expect to lose about 20%, just roof bars will lose you 8-10%.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So thats why I got almost 30 mpg without the bars.

How about my roof bars with my fairing?? The fairing seems to cut down the noise nicely, but I don't know how much it helps.

Dave

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Fairing still kills the drag co-efficiency of the car. Unless you use them on a daily basis i'd remove them....but hey, gas is dirt cheap in the US compared to the UK. :cry:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
May I just point out that Saab Central does not condone riding a bike on the roof of your car :nono;

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hahahhahaha, Good one guys!

I do however find it exciting to ride my bike on the roof going 60 mph.

I would like to take the rack off when i'm not using it, but I do use it a couple times a week. It takes a decent amount of time to put it on and take it off, plus I broke one of the screws the other day trying to remove for waxing.

Dave

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
course9x said:
plus I broke one of the screws the other day trying to remove for waxing.........Dave
You wax your screws, now thats dedication :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the CPS fitted by Saab for £90 incl VAT. Not much of a labour cost to fit over the part price and saved me getting hand dirty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm on vacation this week. I usually get about 21mpg around town, and I produced almost 32mpg on this trip. That was in 90+ degree weather, 80-85mph, and the A/C blasting. If I was a more careful driver, it might have gone up a lot more from that point.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
RobinHood said:
I know I shouldn't really boast - but I thought I must share this with you guys!

My 2000 Aero averages approx 20mpg 'around town', and I often have a bit of a grumble to myself ...... however...... on a recent long run on the M1 I manged to get my computer to read "40mpg"!!

What a huge difference to my pitifall 20mpg!!

Cheers!
Excellent! I usually get the same milages in city/highway driving.

(To all you americans reading this, keep in mind that his mpg measurements are in UK gallons. 20mpg(uk) -> 16.67mpg(us) 40mpg(uk) -> 33.3mpg(us) )

Just divide/multiply by roughly 1.2 :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts