SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be possible to fit 205 tyres on to 7.5J wheels? What would be ideal width of tyre for this rim size?

What about the overall size that would suit 16"/7.5J wheels, to keep the same circumference as standard setup?

·
Banned
637 Posts
205's will fit 7.5" J rims well.. Unlikely the Setup will fit yer 9000 wothout rubbing though... Too much rubbing can be serious.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Can you tell me what the "J" in 7.5" J means?

I read somewhere that 205x55x16 and 225x50x16 tires are nearly identical as far as odometer speed is concerned, but that 225x50 tires should (ideally) be fitted on rims that are 7 - 8.5" wide.

Would I have a rubbing problem with 225x50 tires on a 7.5" rim?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
The 'J' is relating to the profile of the tyre bead seat on the inside of the rim, there's more more than one profile, most road cars are J there's a flatter profile called a JJ plus others I cannot recall.

On the 205 tyre with 7.5" rim, I wouldn't, I put a picture on the end of my post showing you how square and level to the rim my 215's are with a 7.5 rim, there is a risk of a 205 on such a width actually exposing the wheel rim lip [as the rim width is with the seat not overall width, and a 205 tyre is barely 8.25 ", therefore depending on rim design little or no protection for the weakest part on an alloy rim for example]

Avon 215/45 - 17" on Rimstock wheels 7.5" wide, note the tyre and rim are almost exactly the same width.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks for the info on "J" rims, Ragtop.My question about fitting tires to a 7.5" rim was really more about using 225x50 rather than 205x55. Do you think the tires would rub?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Stock Aero rim is 6.5 x 16 and uses 205/55x16 tires. I would not put that width on a rim wider than 7 inches myself.

For the 7.5 inch rim the minimum size Ii would use is 215 (pretty rare size) or the 225/50 you are thinking of, but you will get rubbing with the standard offset. The 205 width is marginal on the 6.5 inch rims from the point of view of rubbing even with the stock offset of 27 mm.

If you get rubbing you'll need spacers or even less offset. I understand 225/50 x 16 tires will fit. What is the offset of the wheel you propose to use? SAAB never put anything wider than 6.5 inches on their factory cars.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Much appreciate your reply. I had in mind 16" Ronal R7 wheels from here:

http://www.stateofnine.com/page/stateofnine/CTGY/WHEELS

The 16" R7 wheel has a 7.5" rim, but I don't see any mention of offsets.

At present, after taking bad advice, I am using 215x55 tires on the standard Aero rim, and I am getting some rubbing. Somewhere, sometime, I thought I read that someone said 225x50 would be OK. If there's any doubt, I'll just go back to the standard 205x55 tire.

·
Registered
593 Posts
first set of aftermarket wheels I got came with 205 tyres as a package
(on 7.5 j wheels )

they looked as if they were "stretched " on and they kerbed very badly
(first corner out of the wheel fitting place )
which I put down to not enough tyrewall "bulge" protecting the rim

I run 235 /40 section tyre now with no problems

(17 " wheels with 30 mm offsett)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So as I understand it if 30mm offset is good for 17x7.5 wheels, then it would be good for 16x7.5 wheels, right?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Offset relates to rim width, not diameter so yes. Assuming you get tires with the correct rolling diameter then 30 mm offset should work for 16 or 17 inch wheels.

Factory offset is 27 mm for 6.5 inch wheels and 33 mm for 6 inch wide wheels.

Check that carbibles.com website posted above for really good, complete and accurate info about all of your questions. I've bookmarked the tyre page it's that good.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
There are 9000's out there with 225's fitted, offset is critical [rim width 7 or 7.5" btw]

There threads covering this example found in search

1 - 12 of 12 Posts