SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving home today my car went into limp mode.Before it happened dass lit up service car now any reason why this happened,

·
Super Moderator
1,446 Posts
I’m assuming it set a Check Engine Light. Did you pull the code?

·
Super Moderator
1,446 Posts
No its the centre part of the speedometer saying service engine in orange.
Hmmm, it may not have set a CEL but I’m guessing there would be a pending code in the ECU. Do you have a code reader?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes I have used a code reader and comes up no codes I also noticed when the engine is reved no turbo pressure.

·
Super Moderator
1,446 Posts
yes I have used a code reader and comes up no codes I also noticed when the engine is reved no turbo pressure.
If you’re just free revving the engine in park or neutral you will not make any boost since there is no load.

After owning 3 different NG 9-5’s I’ve noticed they act wonky and do really weird stuff if the battery is even remotely questionable. How old is it? If it’s more than a couple of years old I’d have it checked or replaced. Good time to check and clean battery terminals too. Put it back together and see how it runs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you’re just free revving the engine in park or neutral you will not make any boost since there is no load.

After owning 3 different NG 9-5’s I’ve noticed they act wonky and do really weird stuff if the battery is even remotely questionable. How old is it? If it’s more than a couple of years old I’d have it checked or replaced. Good time to check and clean battery terminals too. Put it back together and see how it runs.
Found the problem,there is an oil seal problem between the oil pump and strainer pipe which causes low oil pressure {one bar}and causes the low oil pressure show on centre display and also shuts engine into limp mode.Seemingly a common problem and also on same engines in Vauxhall\Opel diesels as well.Car now in workshop to fit new seal.Will reply when fixed.

·
Super Moderator
1,446 Posts
Not sure “common” is the word I’d use...lol. But there is usually a gasket between an oil pump and the pickup tube. If that leaks, then you’d definitely get a drop in oil pressure, or even worse aeration of the oil. Sounds like your workshop is on the ball though. Glad they caught it before it got worse. What’s odd is that there was no warning light for low oil pressure...?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts