SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Saab 9-5 that runs fine but wont move, computer has checked out fine but one of the inputs is not sending the signals correctly...It's a strange one. One noticeable characteristic is that the tach does function properly (only comes on when car is first started). I know that there's only a limited number of these left on the road but If anybody has had to trouble shoot such an event I'd like to here from them.

·
Super Moderator
1,945 Posts
So you’re able to put the car in gear, or no?

·
Super Moderator
1,945 Posts
Is the shifter moving? When you step on the brake pedal, is the orange “brake” light on the shift console going out?

·
Registered
109 Posts
one of the inputs is not sending the signals correctly.
What does that mean exactly? Any other symptoms other than not being able to get out of park?

Is your vehicle parked on a hill? My wifes auto vehicle was parked on a steep hill once (nose of car facing towards bottom of hill) and would not leave park. I hoped in, stuck my foot out on to the ground and rolled the car back just enough to get out of park. Not saying thats your issue but just a thought with so little info to go off of.

·
Registered
2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the shifter moving? When you step on the brake pedal, is the orange “brake” light on the shift console going out?
I'm not completely sure, the car is at the shop now so I can't check. He has it narrowed down to a input signal not talking back to the computer but aside from check every single in the vehicle it's guess work. My mechanic is super competent with Saabs but with that model/year the diagnostics just are not available so it comes down to the hours it takes to check every component to maybe find the issue. There's always more to the story :)...Other issue that may be related or not...This started while I had been driving 30 mins 50mph just fine, I braked to turn on a side street and the car downshifted abruptly almost as if I was rear ended. As I continued the transmission would not shift out of low gear (automatic) I had about a mile to get home and aside from going slow I made it. No warning lights came on but I did notice the tach was not working. About an hour later I went out to start it and it did start but made all kinds of sputtering/rough idle and ever light on the dash was beeping and blinking at me! I quickly shut it off and called the tow truck. My mechanic diagnosed that the timing chain/guides etc. was broken...this looked like to problem but after all that was replaced and the engine started fine he knew this must have been a result of whatever the real issue was? He first checked out the computer by putting mine in another vehicle and it worked flawlessly so that's where I'm at today...how adventurous should I be with checking all signals/connections etc. or If somebody out their has experienced this problem they could just tell me it's the (XYZ) part and I'm up and running again. Any help would be appreciated.
This car has about 100,000 miles and to date has been running flawlessly.

·
Super Moderator
1,945 Posts
Hopefully your mechanic has a GM MDI as the NG 9-5 no longer used the Tech II that most Saabs did. I’m told the Tech II still has some functionality in this car, but you’ll need the MDI for in-depth stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts