SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week pulling my drive way I stoped took out of drive put in reverse car died , so I put into park then started back up ... then put into drive and nothing. Transmission does nothing at all. I had trans serviced 3 months ago about 3000 miles ago they changed fluids but I can tell they really weren’t sure about specs.. they said no filter to change ...any help or insight is much appreciated also I am new to the forum and I may not be doing this the right way
Thanks Guzer

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
Is this an Aero/Turbo6 or the Turbo4? In either case, this is a prime example of why you cannot gamble on the correct type of fluid to use (Dexron VI, BTW) or the correct procedure for doing so. I’m guessing they put in the wrong fluid or have the wrong amount in it. Whoever does the fluid change should follow the WIS procedure this time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this an Aero/Turbo6 or the Turbo4? In either case, this is a prime example of why you cannot gamble on the correct type of fluid to use (Dexron VI, BTW) or the correct procedure for doing so. I’m guessing they put in the wrong fluid or have the wrong amount in it. Whoever does the fluid change should follow the WIS procedure this time.
It’s the 4 cylinder turbo and you are right!! I think they did both wrong... the amount of fluid and the kind of fluid. Do you know if this tranny has a filter? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
It’s the 4 cylinder turbo and you are right!! I think they did both wrong... the amount of fluid and the kind of fluid. Do you know if this tranny has a filter? Thanks
No filter. I believe it has the same fluid and service instructions as the 9-3 version as well. There have been some good write ups on this board about how to do it.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Make sure the selector cable clamp hasn’t broken or fallen off on the transmission end. If the shop changed the trans fluid it may have been disturbed.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
The reason the car died if the cable end came off, is that the neutral safety selector switch gets confused. If I am correct. Fingers crossed. My diagnosis if correct is cheap af

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason the car died if the cable end came off, is that the neutral safety selector switch gets confused. If I am correct. Fingers crossed. My diagnosis if correct is cheap af
Thank you very much I’ll check on it and let you know

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And where exactly is it .. underneath the car or on top of the transmission?

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts

·
Registered
6,036 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
That’s exactly what I was looking for.. yes I’d buy a trans and getting it fixed I was just making sure I didn’t miss anything simple I could fix
It probably wouldn’t hurt to have a reputable shop review the fluid situation before condemning the transmission... If the fluid level or type is incorrect, it could be a much cheaper fix. But even worst case, it’s not an expensive transmission thankfully.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
LKQ are huge good to deal with. I expect best case would be a direct fit Saab trans but other than some risk of connectivity and programming issues the Buick should work as well. Same platform

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
LKQ are huge good to deal with. I expect best case would be a direct fit Saab trans but other than some risk of connectivity and programming issues the Buick should work as well. Same platform
I‘d guess you’d need to pull the TCM off the Saab transmission and swap it over to the Buick one?

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I‘d guess you’d need to pull the TCM off the Saab transmission and swap it over to the Buick one?
Possibly. At the end of the Saab dynasty I am not sure how much of the NG 9-5 was unique. My fear is that connectors would not be compatible and as you suggest the TCM calibration as well might be different. LKQ did have 2011 Saab 9-5 trans on the shelf so the OP has option. But clearly we all can’t say enough , PROPER DIAGNOSIS is essential. Forums and Facebook suck for diagnosis and most car buffs should totally NOT diagnose their cars. I have a car here customer dropped three grand on a new trick cylinder head ( he already had a trick one) and asked for it to be installed , due to a misfire he diagnosed as being the cylinder head. It wasn’t. The head.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It probably wouldn’t hurt to have a reputable shop review the fluid situation before condemning the transmission... If the fluid level or type is incorrect, it could be a much cheaper fix. But even worst case, it’s not an expensive transmission thankfully.
Thank you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts