SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 2011 9-5 as my 2003 9-3 finally decided to sing its swan song after 226,000 miles. One thing that I really liked was the ability to adjust modules via the tech 2, such as locking doors on drive off, being able to add the aux port, program new keys as the old ones fell apart, changing locking logic, etc. From what I've seen so far, the NG 9-5 is not compatible with the tech 2 at all and that it will only talk with the GM MDI. However, despite countless hours of searching, I can't seem to find if the NG 9-5 with MDI is able to be modified in the same way. I don't mind having to purchase a clone MDI and a subscription through ACDelco TDS if the car can be modified the same as older Saabs with the tech 2, but don't want to buy the equipment to find out that it doesn't do what I'd like it to. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm looking at buying a 2011 9-5 as my 2003 9-3 finally decided to sing its swan song after 226,000 miles. One thing that I really liked was the ability to adjust modules via the tech 2, such as locking doors on drive off, being able to add the aux port, program new keys as the old ones fell apart, changing locking logic, etc. From what I've seen so far, the NG 9-5 is not compatible with the tech 2 at all and that it will only talk with the GM MDI. However, despite countless hours of searching, I can't seem to find if the NG 9-5 with MDI is able to be modified in the same way. I don't mind having to purchase a clone MDI and a subscription through ACDelco TDS if the car can be modified the same as older Saabs with the tech 2, but don't want to buy the equipment to find out that it doesn't do what I'd like it to. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.
Keep in mind even with a valid subscription anything that requires security access will not be available without an LSID. I will double check on some other things and get back to you in a couple of days.

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
You can program keys without the MDI (just need one of the originals still), it already has an aux port, you can change locking right through the main infotainment center, etc. So 90% of what you’re looking for doesn’t need an MDI, if that helps.

The car is not mod-friendly, FYI... ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The requirement of an LSID isn't something I've ever encountered with my use of a tech2 and TIS2000. I'm assuming this is a new requirement for the MDI?

The specific examples I gave were just examples I thought of off hand and were meant to give an idea of what kind of changes I'm referring to and not an exhaustive list. Other stuff would be the ability to enable/disable comfort open, being able to marry a new ecu if an old one failed, trunk locking after close or drive off, horn lock/unlock acknowledgement, and so on. Essentially being able to set up the car in a way that it behaves how I want it to while using it and to be able to change out parts that need to be added or removed with security permission.

So, in short, it sounds like the NG 9-5 can't be adjusted in the way older 9-5s and basically all 9-3s can be with the tech 2?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The requirement of an LSID isn't something I've ever encountered with my use of a tech2 and TIS2000. I'm assuming this is a new requirement for the MDI?

The specific examples I gave were just examples I thought of off hand and were meant to give an idea of what kind of changes I'm referring to and not an exhaustive list. Other stuff would be the ability to enable/disable comfort open, being able to marry a new ecu if an old one failed, trunk locking after close or drive off, horn lock/unlock acknowledgement, and so on. Essentially being able to set up the car in a way that it behaves how I want it to while using it and to be able to change out parts that need to be added or removed with security permission.

So, in short, it sounds like the NG 9-5 can't be adjusted in the way older 9-5s and basically all 9-3s can be with the tech 2?
Like Joshinator99 states most of the basic coding can be done within the car itself like the comfort settings. Spend some time going thru the menus and at least you will know what available options you have at hand.
The LSID has been necessary for years if using the OEM site, Tech2 or MDI alike. This is true for all makes and models, not just Saab. The reason you have not had to deal with it is because you are or have used a hacked version of the software just like most are using. It's not so much of a 9-5 or 9-3 thing, it's more of a model year issue. Even the 2011 9-3's are in the same boat. The last software version that was available on media was GlobalTis and had the 2010 database for Saab so when someone hacked that, it could be used in any of the cars up to and including 2010 cars. We were lucky enough that Europe was so far behind in the times, otherwise no one would be able to access any of these cars after 2007 or 2008 unless they used the official method for programming needs or anything that required security access. There is a workaround to work with the 11's, it just requires in depth knowledge of how to manipulate registry and data files. In simple terms, you have to fool everything into thinking it's a 2010 car. There are limitations with this method as well. For the ecm issue we simply use the cloning method, if you had an all keys lost situation we use the eeprom method, no programming needed at all, just plug & play. We use the OEM site when we have the cars present, we only use the other methods when we are doing mail in services. Have a great day and sorry for rambling on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Like Joshinator99 states most of the basic coding can be done within the car itself like the comfort settings. Spend some time going thru the menus and at least you will know what available options you have at hand.
The LSID has been necessary for years if using the OEM site, Tech2 or MDI alike. This is true for all makes and models, not just Saab. The reason you have not had to deal with it is because you are or have used a hacked version of the software just like most are using. It's not so much of a 9-5 or 9-3 thing, it's more of a model year issue. Even the 2011 9-3's are in the same boat. The last software version that was available on media was GlobalTis and had the 2010 database for Saab so when someone hacked that, it could be used in any of the cars up to and including 2010 cars. We were lucky enough that Europe was so far behind in the times, otherwise no one would be able to access any of these cars after 2007 or 2008 unless they used the official method for programming needs or anything that required security access. There is a workaround to work with the 11's, it just requires in depth knowledge of how to manipulate registry and data files. In simple terms, you have to fool everything into thinking it's a 2010 car. There are limitations with this method as well. For the ecm issue we simply use the cloning method, if you had an all keys lost situation we use the eeprom method, no programming needed at all, just plug & play. We use the OEM site when we have the cars present, we only use the other methods when we are doing mail in services. All that being said, some have claimed there are some sites that allow you to use their accounts to log in and do whatever you want, i can not confirm or deny this as we have no need for such a thing. Have a great day and sorry for rambling on.

·
Registered
42 Posts

I did forget to mention that having GlobalTis with GDS2 has all the diagnostic capabilities and coding too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys! Unfortunately, I ended up not getting the car. I took it for a test drive to my trusted local mechanic to have them look over it and they said that it looked like it needed a lot of work, so I turned it down. Looking at a 9-3 Turbo X next week though! Fingers crossed. Hopefully this thread will help anyone else who might be looking into the NG 9-5.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts