SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 9-4X Aero had catastrophic engine failure at 90K miles.
This is an automatic.

Head removal revealed hole in a piston.
I need a replacement engine or short block.

Can anyone confirm any of the following:

1) the GM part number for the short block is 12635736,
2) the complete engine code is A28NER,

2) the engine is the same as that used in the 2010/2011 Saab 9-5 turbo6 and Aero cars

3) the same engine as the 2010/2011 Cadillac SRX 2.8L turbo.

Does anyone have a lead on a replacement engine for this Saab ?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
My 2011 9-4X Aero had catastrophic engine failure at 90K miles.
This is an automatic.

Head removal revealed hole in a piston.
I need a replacement engine or short block.

Can anyone confirm any of the following:

1) the GM part number for the short block is 12635736,
2) the complete engine code is A28NER,

2) the engine is the same as that used in the 2010/2011 Saab 9-5 turbo6 and Aero cars

3) the same engine as the 2010/2011 Cadillac SRX 2.8L turbo.

Does anyone have a lead on a replacement engine for this Saab ?

Thanks

Your info is all solid, except that part number is for the whole engine (shortblock would not have the heads/valvetrain).

If you’re going to keep this 9-4X long term, you could have your machine shop install forged pistons. They would be superior in terms of durability in a turbocharged engine. Otherwise, a motor out of an NG 9-5 or SRX is probably the easiest choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Joshinator99,
Thank you for your reply and confirmation as well as the suggestion to go to forged pistons.
JPhield

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
Hello Joshinator99,
Thank you for your reply and confirmation as well as the suggestion to go to forged pistons.
JPhield
Happy to help. Let us know how you make out. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would say that the forged pistons aren't necessary on a motor you aren't doing anything special with. These motors are already good (typically) up to about 500hp on the stock internals.

The short blocks can take some time to come by, but they are available, so no fear there.

I got one for my 9-3 from ESaabParts for around $1k. Be warned that a motor swap is no small project though, and it will be quite dear if you have a mechanic do it.

Another thought is to source a complete motor from a low mileage SRX at a junkyard, and will save all the hardware swap over. Replace that rear torque mount while you're in there. It's only $40, and you'll kick yourself for not doing it when the motor was out, and it was easy if it breaks a few miles down the road.

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
I would say that the forged pistons aren't necessary on a motor you aren't doing anything special with. These motors are already good (typically) up to about 500hp on the stock internals.
While this is true, with a small boosted motor & a heavy vehicle, you’re only one lazy knock sensor coupled with a batch of bad gas away from a broken ring land, etc... as the OP is finding out. I’d bet the cast OEM pistons aren’t much cheaper that a decent set of forged ones, and the forged ones will virtually never die in a stock boost application.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts