SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was parked for 2 weeks. Ignition switch will not move, says the "pull out key..." message. The steering lock is NOT engaged, wheel turns freely and no "click" as usual when I insert the key. I replaced the battery and it did nothing to change the above... :(
Any advice?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Have you tried your backup key?
Is the ignition switch now in LOCK position?
Is the message in the thread title the only SID message you see?
Have you read stored DTCs from the car?
CIM, SCL, ISM, key, or fuse/wiring/connector problem are all possible but it's cheaper to narrow it down. SCL should lock with no power applied.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried back up key.
switch is in lock/off position
only message is pull out key...
haven't read DTC
SLC is not locked, wheel turns no click.

I don't get why its always associated with car sitting and when i return these CIM,ISM, SCL issues occur.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
This is not first time, then? How did it get resolved before, if yes? Battery is always first check for this problem, and you have replaced that. There's a tech bulletin from 12/09 concerning this as a repeat failure, in the WIS. Here is the relevant excerpt:
scl.png
Note especially the battery/alternator/parasitic drain comments. Beyond that, the SCL locks passively, with a spring return, and reports its lock/unlock status to CIM, so first thing I'd check there is for binding or bent locking pawl. Both ISM and CIM need to tell SCL to unlock. That's what reading DTCs might clear up. Barring that, you could try unplugging SCL and see if steering wheel locks. Then you still have to figure out what is telling it to unlock, if the SCL itself hasn't failed.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
FWIW, if you drive the car that occasionally, a battery maintainer might be a good idea.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
SCL will engage after few hundred meters/yards drive after battery change.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found a good guy at independent Viking shop. Said it had a fault code, replacement of SLC should fix it $225 (used part) installed. Seems very reasonable to me based on other Stealership experiences.... ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts