SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, guys, I am the one that bought the 2009 XWD COMBI premium pkg in January; I fill her with Premium, either Chevron 93 or Quik Trip 92 as that is the only station near my lake house...today in for 10K service and the advisor says the "odd hard start" I had last week that I told him about may have fouled the plugs, I need to know if its oil or just carbon...seems to early for plug problems, on my way to get the car,will post folow up, will try to talk to twch, please post any advice! I am scared this will be one of those "keep fixing it till its out of warranty" and then "oh that is a real problem and you are out of warranty"...:nono; dogdoc, Atlanta thanks flks!

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
My 2001 GMC Sierra has 145-k miles on it with the origional plugs, and the mileage has never dipped. It sounds like they just want to get a little positive cash flow going (at your expense).

If the plugs are oil fouled, you would be loosing oil. If they were carbon fouled, your gas mileage would be down. What kind of gas mileage are you getting?... Ron

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, more info!

so I talk to the SA and he says it was carbon, NOT oil, thanks for that at least; he said water in the gas will do that and I have let the tank get low with the cold winter, while not subzero we get to the teens in Atlanta some days and the car is NOT in a garage....it runs like I remeber it did 3 months ago, quick! Will keep you posted! dogdoc

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Do you have lots of short trips? That combined with poor fuel might cause it. You're running Top Tier fuel though so gas shouldn't be an issue but it certainly could.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do short trips but highway too! Where to get "drygas"

My office is ONLY 3.3 miles every day to the office and home, but 1-2 times a week I drive to the lake which is 121 miles , all highway! so....
where do u get dry gas, and what is it?thanks, Dogdoc

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
My office is ONLY 3.3 miles every day to the office and home, but 1-2 times a week I drive to the lake which is 121 miles , all highway! so....
where do u get dry gas, and what is it?thanks, Dogdoc
That will do it. You'd think in this day and age it shouldn't be a factor but it can be--short trips. Your trips to the lake should keep things clean I would think but perhaps not.

And dry gas Jon is referring to I believe is just "Heet"--the stuff in the yellow bottle--if they still sell it. Essentially gas line anti-freeze is the description I think.

·
Registered
683 Posts
DryGas or Heet - both are alcohol. Can't remember whether ethanol or methanol. Their function is to keep the water in the bottom of your fuel tank from freezing and just possibly to make it miscible with the gasoline. Nowadays, I think winter additives in the fuel do the same job. I can't see why it would help with fouled plugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts