SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. First off, I did try the search feature extensively and could not find a thread about this. I'm sure I am searching wrong because I couldn't really believe no one would have asked this before. I also have downloaded an owners manual which is about 300 pages long and I did not find it on there. This is odd as well and if anyone has a link to a better manual I would like to have it.

I just bought a kit that has everything for front and back, but it didn't say the size (amazon). I want to know before they get here. Are front and back different? What is the oem size?

·
Registered
2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Cabrio
35 Posts
There's three sizes of front rotors and two rears.

Would not buy parts off of Amazon / eBay / Craigslist. Lots of chinese junk and counterfeit parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, that was fast! Thank you aerojon, that's exactly what I need, and thanks dombromd for the warning. I guess o'reilly's or autozone is my best bet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWIW I bought my parts off Rock Auto - I was wanting to use powerstop and none of the local O Reilly, AutoZone, Advance Auto stocked them. There is a sticker on the drivers door of my 07 with 2 letter codes that corresponds to the rotor size.

I had big front rotors and the smaller non vented rears so had to order the 2 sets separately vs buying one of the combo kits powerstop offered since they didnt have the combination I needed.

·
Registered
2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Cabrio
35 Posts
I was also going to say Rockauto. AC Delco makes good stuff. I've had good results on several cars with Power Stop and Centric brand stuff in the Daily Driver category. I stay out of the economy line as a rule unless I'm flipping the car.

·
Super Moderator
9,348 Posts
the largest rear rotor/disc is 292mm = 11.49inch..the 15" is in relation to the wheel size..

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Right. I was referring to 278mm rotors (BA code) which are what's on my '11 Turbo4 (2.0T).

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Okcrum: I have 292mm rear brakes in alll my 9-3s.
I have 2009 2.0T XWD, 2012 Aero and 2006 CV.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Ya, I have 302mm front and 278mm rear. No Sport Mode either. It's a grandpa car. :)
Thats a very odd setup, the brakes came in as full 15” or 16” system (beside the other 16+ and 17), a 15” system would be 285mm front and 278 rear, and a 16” would be 302 front and 292 rear.
how did u end up with a 16” front and a 15” rear !

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I can only guess it's because this car was originally part of a batch for Enterprise Leasing, and they spec'ed it that way. The VIN search at Orio shows a front brake upgrade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, so when I was researching front and rear pads and rotors for my 2006 Sportcombi like 2 months ago, I ended up getting the full brembo pads and rotors from eEuroparts. I didn’t want low end, they’re fully ceramic, were sold as a set, and ended up being way cheaper (Like more than $100 cheaper) than trying to piece together matching pads and rotors from Bosch, akebono, or any other manufacturers.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Hey, so when I was researching front and rear pads and rotors for my 2006 Sportcombi like 2 months ago, I ended up getting the full brembo pads and rotors from eEuroparts. I didn’t want low end, they’re fully ceramic, were sold as a set, and ended up being way cheaper (Like more than $100 cheaper) than trying to piece together matching pads and rotors from Bosch, akebono, or any other manufacturers.
Only time will tell why they are cheap, and from my experience the pads will wear out the rotors first.
im not sure if u live in the snow belt, but where we live the rotors should last at least 3 pads replacements .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for everyone's response. I ended up both checking my door panel (AB front, BA rear) and taking off a front and rear wheel to measure them. Mine are 302mm front and 278mm rear. I also noticed my rear pads still got some life left, so I'm only going to do front for now. What brands do you recommend? I know someone mentioned powerstop and that's actually available at my autozone and o'reilly's. Any other suggestions? I prefer to do it this weekend so probably nothing online unless it's a really popular brand with some of you guys who have done this a few times.

On another note, I was looking around at the suspension parts in front and back, especially bushings, because I need an alignment but I didn't want to do it if anything looked worn. Front looks good but rear shocks the top bushing is really bad (I've been having some noise too, and the car bounces more than normal so maybe both rear shocks are just bad). Should I replace those before an alignment? How likely is it that the rear springs are causing this too?

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
The rear calipers can seize up. You want to make sure that the rear pads are similar thickness all around, and maybe give the wheel a spin or two while it's in the air. Also try the parking brake on and off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The rear calipers can seize up. You want to make sure that the rear pads are similar thickness all around, and maybe give the wheel a spin or two while it's in the air. Also try the parking brake on and off.
Is that in general or are you saying that if I only change the fronts I am increasing the risk of this happening? I'm going to lift the car again a bit later and try this. Also I did try to spin the front but couldn't. It only moved a bit like an inch or less, and this whole assembly moved along with it, which I was surprised to see because I couldn't imagine that all of that moves when I'm driving but again I'm mostly clueless.

I also had the parking brake on when I tried but I thought that would only stop the back wheels from turning?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts