SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I found a set of 6.5 x 16 x 49 wheels on Craigslist for a good price. I've read a bunch of different answers to this question. Has anyone had success with 16" wheels an Aero XWD or Turbo X?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am also looking for winter wheels/rims, so I'll be watching this thread.

I do know our Aeros have larger brake calipers than other trims, so the winter rim has to be able to clear them.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It depends on the brake kit you have...16" don't fit a Turbo X ( due to 345mm rotors ) but should OK on the stock 314mm rotors from the Aero...some Aero's have the 345mm upgrade....17" are a safer option.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Why not just get a set from a 9-3 or 9-5 that are 17"'s, I got a nice set of Alu 39's from a 2005 or so 9-5 Aero for only about $200.

Granted that 16 inch wheels are more common on Craigs but then you don't have to worry about speedo or odometer error.

What is the "49"? The Saab bolt pattern is 5X110 and the hub is 65.1. Not many wheels are interchangeable with Saab (Cobalt comes to mind), but I would stay away from wobble bolts boring the hub.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The "49" is the wheel offset. These are wheels off of a 9-5, so the bolt pattern is still 5x110.

The wheels on my car now are 7" wide and have an offset of 41mm. After adjusting for the difference in width and offset, the new wheel will be inset by approx 14mm.

I currently have about 15mm of clearance between the wheel spokes and the edge of the caliper. I'm worried that the side of the brake calipers will hit the spokes of the wheel.

I'm considering doing a test-fit of one wheel before buying. The main reason that I like these so much is that a set of snow tires for 16s is considerably less expensive than a set for 17s.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am in the process of doing the same thing for my 09 aero xwd. I test fit a 16" from our '01 9-3 that has a 49mm offset and the caliper just rubs the inside of the spokes. so I would say depending on the spoke design they are going to be close. There was plenty of room for the rest of the caliper to clear. I'm trying to track down a set of 41mm offset 16's

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Either way, you are making a better choice with dedicated snows.

My car came with the Michelin Pilot all season and they were horrid, just sucked, awful in even a few inches of snow. I thought I was imagining things (it snowed while I was at the dealer having two replaced for sidewall leaks), and later read the Tire Rack ratings on the Pilot's and .... they sucked.

When I got home after "battling" 3 inches of snow (yeah in an X car), I got in my old Volvo XC with shot Goodyear all seasons and it out pulled the Saab. It was the tires, not the car.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I also am looking for winter rims for my 08 aero XWD I went to the local junkyard all they had are 16s. My spare tire is a 16inch so it must be okay to run them on my car. I did find a set of 07 aero rims on CL but the guys asking 350 for them. I am still on the factory Michelin Pilot tires and they are getting bold and pretty dry rotted so I need to get tires for it asap.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Either way, you are making a better choice with dedicated snows.

My car came with the Michelin Pilot all season and they were horrid, just sucked, awful in even a few inches of snow. I thought I was imagining things (it snowed while I was at the dealer having two replaced for sidewall leaks), and later read the Tire Rack ratings on the Pilot's and .... they sucked.

When I got home after "battling" 3 inches of snow (yeah in an X car), I got in my old Volvo XC with shot Goodyear all seasons and it out pulled the Saab. It was the tires, not the car.
Which proves my point that AWD is borderline useless for most people. Just adds weight, sucks more fuel and adds to repair bills.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yo! Don't turn that around, my comment was that the tires suck. My buddy who has a 2008 Combi FWD just three days ago was commenting on how lame his car is in snow compared to all the Saab hype, it's no better nor worse than any FWD.

My AWD, Saab, now with proper snows will out go any FWD.

My condemnation was regarding the crap Michelin Pilot tires the car came shod with.

Our cars are useless in deep dense snow since they are low. As a ski instructor I had a truck for when the forecast was for the deeper stuff, but the AWD, both Saab and Volvo got me to the hill fine most times. FWD (her ng900), was only an option after the plows and salter went through. My wife would borrow my Volvo and leave her
FWD at home.

The equation would read that FWD with all season were "ok", FWD with grippy snows as "better" but AWD with grippy snows best. If you have crap tires on anything you are SOL.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yo! Don't turn that around, my comment was that the tires suck. My buddy who has a 2008 Combi FWD just three days ago was commenting on how lame his car is in snow compared to all the Saab hype, it no better nor worse than any FWD.

My AWD, Saab, now with proper snows will out go any FWD.

My condemnation was regarding the crap Michelin Pilot tires the car came shod with.

Our cars are useless in deep dense snow since they are low. As a ski instructor I had a truck for when the forecast was for the deeper stuff, but the AWD, both Saab and Volvo got me to the hill fine most times. AWD was only an option after the plows and salter went through. My wife would borrow my Volvo and leave her 900ng at home.

The equation would read that FWD with all season were "ok", FWD with grippy snows as "better" but AWD with grippy snows best. If you have crap tires on anything you are SOL.

on that note, my '03 had Pirelli P6's on them which did rather well in the snow.

My '06 had Conti SportContacts which slid all over the joint.

My TX I have Conti ExtremeContact DWS which did pretty well last year in the snow/crap.

So yes, tires make the Saab go well in the snow. Poor ones will not. XWD is great when the weather gets nasty.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
What we need to be careful about is "drift busting", one fellow on here posted during a snow event that he drove through a drift and it broke/cracked his front splitter/valence.

Worse, unlike my Volvo, there are wires running through it and it disabled his car. I just (like a half hour ago), got done looking at the damage my kid did to the old Volvo when he hit either a wolf or small deer (or German Shepherd?) and it was hard enough to take out the driving lamps, center grille and cracked the lower unit in half but there sure don't seem to be any critical wires down there. Wifey just brushed the Saab's front on a parking lot thingie the other day (hardly a scrape showing), but the thing broke in half. Our mech did a "plasti-weld" on it and put it back together since the new part was nearing $1,000. :eek:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Awww, look at you guys talking about snow/winter prep. Mines been prepped for winter all summer. :)

I kid, I kid. I spent 22 years in MN, the last 4 driving a lowered FWD VW, so I know how it goes.

It's not also entirely useless to own an XWD in a warmer climate because, if nothing else, 1) prices to buy are lower because of the reduced demand and 2) it can be resold in a colder climate where demand is higher, like if I ever move back up to Minnesnowta. Arbitrage!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Which proves my point that AWD is borderline useless for most people. Just adds weight, sucks more fuel and adds to repair bills.
Alfisti's typical negative, jealous, XWD comments--don't pay attention to them. So true for most SUV owners however!

Tunnan good comments on your first post. Why not try to find the 17" which should be available, cheap, and will fit.
And 49 on offset I don't think will work.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
17's

That was my first suggestion to the OP but he said he got a great deal on the 16's and didn't want to pay the premimum for 17's which are indeed a tad pricier than 16's. The sticker shock hit me when I did my Volvo with smaller tires and then my Saab.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
WARNING to the OP!

I just noted your comment about having a 16" rim in there for the spare.

That may be a good "get me off the freeway or home" tire, but please don't run that tire along with the 17 inch tires should you revert to them.

These AWD units are very sensitive, almost hyper when it comes to having matching tires on all corners. My Volvo was a Getrag brand but the dealer, when they had to change a tire under warranty at about 20,000, at their expense, changed out all four. The Saab dealer warned me (unprompted but it was on my question list), about our Haldex systems; these cars like all tires within a narrow tolerance. For that matter, the XC had a slight vibration from about half way through the warranty and Volvo blamed it on "an out of round tire" and before the warranty was up I got 3 sets of free Continental tires. It still has a slight vibration, 1998 to present. :confused:

They even tell you, say you had a sidewall puncture, with a nice 60% of tread remaining, to change, not just two on the same axle, but all 4, which I think is total consumer insanity since with high speed tires that is a hell of a price to pay for a silly flat. Weird because my ancient Jeep Grand Cherokee with auto trans and full time AWD came with no such warnings and as a "junker", it was an "estate car" for the owner of the Newhouse Publishing empire and had uber high miles hauling a bale of hay for the polo ponies perhaps? I never considered putting "matching tires" on it.

It's funny how you can fall in love with a "junker" like that; rust, and faded barn red paint and all. I so favored that weird tank that I walked past a perfectly great, still almost "new" 1984 Saab 900 and drove that thing till one day it hit me that I better start and drive the Saab. The hand brake was locked tight and the rotors had rusted horribly. It had a certain charm or magic in it's ugliness and bulk. It was almost like going out with a pretty, but very fit girl but getting drunk enough to bed her ugly sister and .... ;oops::cheesy:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Not quite, they are 100 on the bolt pattern and Saab are 110. Sad cause' they are nice looking and probably a bargain.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Not quite, they are 100 on the bolt pattern and Saab are 110. Sad cause' they are nice looking and probably a bargain.
Agreed, I'd rock those as snowy's.

I wonder if they make the steel blank wheels for Saab's. I know VW dealerships and some Volvo places will actually give you a deal with tires and those steel wheels. I'd love to get my hands on a set of 17's.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
They are very "Vette" looking and though Corvette made that rim in satin and chrome, I can't recall ever seeing a stock Saab rim in chrome?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts