SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 2.0T sedan (stage 2) and currently have stock suspension with 17" wheels. I'm happy with the wheel size, but I'm looking for a lower, more aggressive stance and moderately firmer handling. I've been looking at coilovers vs separate spring/shocks and I'm not sure what the best option is. I've read through several threads here on suspension setups but wanted to see if I could get some more specific insight.

I was looking at KW coilovers, K-sport coilovers, Koni yellows, Vogtland/H&R springs.

Venom55 has a nice K-sport setup (love the look/stance) and I already got his input, but wanted some more opinions.

I definitely looking to lower the car by an inch or two and firm up the handling. What do you guys suggest without getting into a teeth-chattering setup? Would coilovers be too rough? Thanks for you input!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
There are a few threads on here that discuss this topic. In general, it's all subjective, one person's comfortable ride can be another person's worst nightmare. It's all a matter of preference. I have koni yellows and vogtland springs in my trunk, not yet installed, I'll give my input on those once they're in but I'm sure others will beat me to it.

Talk to pacotaco, he's had the most varied suspension setups on this forum, he'll give you at least good experience.

·
Super Moderator
9,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going with a set of Koni FSDs and H&R springs. Pics soon.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You will like the h&r's, very nice ride out of them.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
There are a few threads on here that discuss this topic. In general, it's all subjective, one person's comfortable ride can be another person's worst nightmare. It's all a matter of preference. I have koni yellows and vogtland springs in my trunk, not yet installed, I'll give my input on those once they're in but I'm sure others will beat me to it.

Talk to pacotaco, he's had the most varied suspension setups on this forum, he'll give you at least good experience.
Yeah, a big part of it will be your roads too. I have koni yellow and vogtland springs and i have it set pretty stiff and it is good in my area, i like the stiff ride

·
Registered
75 Posts
I definitely looking to lower the car by an inch or two and firm up the handling. What do you guys suggest without getting into a teeth-chattering setup? Would coilovers be too rough? Thanks for you input!
I went with (Maptun Springs + Bilstein B8 Shocks) that is an amazing combination and also quite smooth when driving in addition to having an aggressive look.

You can watch the thread of my build here:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232868

The lowering is decent but you need to be very careful on speed breakers and rough roads which made me go for a Vector front lip spoiler instead of the larger Aero lip spoiler.

Attached is an additional photo from the side on how low it is.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
kw's are on a whole different level than any other suspension kit, as for ebay coilovers they are decent for build quality and as for ride quality they feel great compared to koni yellows and springs. Although i found that the koni and springs were alot easier to drive on and made the car handle really well out of the box.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Paco: I understood you're not a fan of FSDs (if not other Koni) with lowering springs...

·
Super Moderator
9,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paco: I understood you're not a fan of FSDs (if not other Koni) with lowering springs...
In regards to this, this a total myth. I've spoken with several Koni reps who stated that FSDs do indeed pair exceptionally well with lowering springs, which is why Koni even sells kits of FSDs/lowering springs together. The warning on their website is a generic one and while it applies to a select few makes/models, it doesn't apply to SAAB. Tirerack also confirmed this.

Now opinions are a different story.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
no im not, i talked to 2 guys off the forums who had fsd's actually one had them with aero springs and the other had them with H&R's, they both said that the ride was completly different with the aero springs and that it seemed to handle better and the comfort was better. I was going to buy the h&r's off the one guy but he sold them to someone else so i bought a set brand new.

·
Registered
707 Posts
In regards to this, this a total myth. I've spoken with several Koni reps who stated that FSDs do indeed pair exceptionally well with lowering springs, which is why Koni even sells kits of FSDs/lowering springs together. The warning on their website is a generic one and while it applies to a select few makes/models, it doesn't apply to SAAB. Tirerack also confirmed this.

Now opinions are a different story.
I've seen same on Tirerack. And if gospel , gives us more options. I'm just trying to reconcile with following from Genuine Saab:

"Koni FSD Dampers New 9-3 / CV 03-11 For Stock Springs Only
[9-3ssFSD] $1,092.00 $764.40

Click to enlarge
Koni FSD Shocks for 9-3 2003-> Sedan, Combi 06->, Convertible 2004-07 Fits all models including V6. Sold Per Set of 4 Only for stock springs. Not for use with aftermarket lowering springs. (ok for factory sports chassis) FWD ONLY not for XWD cars."

Bilstein sets the threshold at 30mm for one set of lowering springs with their B6 shock ; beyond you should go (from their FAQ -- amerkn brought this to my attention) to their B8 shock (not even available on their North American subsite!). Evidently then Koni doesn't make the same distinction in their line of shocks (FSD vs. Yellow).

It's a real maze out there!

·
Super Moderator
9,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've seen same on Tirerack. And if gospel , gives us more options. I'm just trying to reconcile with following from Genuine Saab:

"Koni FSD Dampers New 9-3 / CV 03-11 For Stock Springs Only
[9-3ssFSD] $1,092.00 $764.40

Click to enlarge
Koni FSD Shocks for 9-3 2003-> Sedan, Combi 06->, Convertible 2004-07 Fits all models including V6. Sold Per Set of 4 Only for stock springs. Not for use with aftermarket lowering springs. (ok for factory sports chassis) FWD ONLY not for XWD cars."

Bilstein sets the threshold at 30mm for one set of lowering springs with their B6 shock ; beyond you should go (from their FAQ -- amerkn brought this to my attention) to their B8 shock (not even available on their North American subsite!). Evidently then Koni doesn't make the same distinction in their line of shocks (FSD vs. Yellow).

It's a real maze out there!

I'm pretty sure GenuineSaab just put that up there to match the Koni website. Unfortunately both are incorrect, and frankly, I don't think GenuineSaab has sold enough of the FSDs to make a change to their website.

Also, Bilstein B6 shocks aren't the same shock as Koni FSDs, so you I don't think you can quite compare the two. Besides, most lowering springs don't lower more than 30-35mm anyway, so it wouldn't even matter if what you're saying is the case.

My suspension is going on the car sometime in the next week or two so I'll put a review up of the setup. If it's anything less than perfect, naturally I'll be pissed and I'll be complaining/returning to retailer. But I'm not planning on that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts