SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last 2 weeks could hear a slight squeak at start up, that would go away once I was driving. I figured it was a belt slip and no biggie. Today car wont start. Lights work, radio ect. Turning it all off and no start.

When I turn the ignition i hear two clicks and that's all, no attempt to turn over. Tried starting from Neutral- because hey couldn't hurt and yeah no luck.

Do you think its the starter?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Last 2 weeks could hear a slight squeak at start up, that would go away once I was driving. I figured it was a belt slip and no biggie. Today car wont start. Lights work, radio ect. Turning it all off and no start.

When I turn the ignition i hear two clicks and that's all, no attempt to turn over. Tried starting from Neutral- because hey couldn't hurt and yeah no luck.

Do you think its the starter?
Sounds like the starter solenoid wouldn't disengage during startup or the return spring. The 2 clicks would be the solenoid, among other things. If you can, hit the starter and the solenoid with a rubber mallet a few times. I would agree it's the starter, but there could be other possibilities. Good place to 'start' with! Ahh hahaha...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

I will give it a shot. Any thing to be aware of when tackling the change? It'll be my first Saab work, although I did most everything on my old 96 volvo.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Pretty straight forward. You're going to have to put it up on ramps. The starter is at the bottom of the engine where you'll have access to the electrical wires and one of the 2 mounting bolts. You're going to need E-Torx sockets + socket extensions to get it off.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes, check battery. Check connections (B+ and ground) for corrosion. Then for a quick try, connect a jump starter or heavy duty charger if you have one. A weak battery will run the lights and everything else but may fail to run the starter.

·
Registered
539 Posts
if you want to fry the electronics..;ol;
disconnect battery and charge..
Perhaps you have inadequate chargers on your side of the pond :)
Here in the New World it is perfectly safe to hook up a good commercial charger or jumper to the car and start it. In fact our jumpers contain a smaller 12V battery and the electronics to charge it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well

Starter change was pretty simple, if not infuriating. Longest bolt ever to take out "1-click" per turn with the ratchet.

But, it was the battery all along. Had enough juice to run a/c, lights, radio ect... but not enough to turn the starter. Was only 2 years old too.

Thanks everyone. I'll start with the easy first from now on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts