SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few months, I have noticed that after some hard time on the road, and when coming to a standing idle, I could smell coolant and see steam coming from the driver-side back corner of the hood. From inspection of and around the expansion tank, I could never find the source, but topped it off when low. I thought it was a leaking hose or cracked expansion tank. It turns out that it is either a slow drip, and sometimes a steaming spew coming from the overflow tube (see photo). Although having filled coolant to the "COLD" level, after getting the engine fully heated and seeing steam, it will end up at about 1/4 full.
My mechanic suggests it may be the thermostat, and wants to replace it and the expansion tank and hoses at the same time, considering age and mileage. I can do repairs myself if not major issues, lift needed or special Saab tools. I would appreciate any feedback on possible causes and solutions.

thanks,
Ken

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,201 Posts
Sorry, didn't see where you replaced the tank and cap? If you haven't done that do it first. It's a pretty common fail item. Your "mechanic" wants to do a tstat because it's $$$. You can get a tank and cap for <$50 and DIY in 30 minutes with hand tools.

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
What I can see from pic, you have overfilled it. Right level is about 1-2 cm over low level.

·
Super Moderator
9,060 Posts
Looks like green coolant and the tank should only be half full when stone cold...even says on the front of the tank cold/kalt with an arrow pointing to level..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, didn't see where you replaced the tank and cap? If you haven't done that do it first. It's a pretty common fail item. Your "mechanic" wants to do a tstat because it's $$$. You can get a tank and cap for <$50 and DIY in 30 minutes with hand tools.
Thanks Diggs! I have not replaced either yet and will do. Any brand to be aware of? Mechanic warned of cheapos that will "explode" after a year.
Love your profile pic! Ancient alien theorists believe that... there may be a correlation between Saab owners and close encounters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like green coolant and the tank should only be half full when stone cold...even says on the front of the tank cold/kalt with an arrow pointing to level..
The tank is discolored, but the coolant is just above the Cold/Kalt mark when hot. I have had several instances where the level goes down to halfway between "Cold" mark and bottom after steaming out. I will replace tank and cap first and see if that resolved the leaking issue. If my dash temp gauge is at mid-point (normal), can I assume that I am NOT overheating?

·
Super Moderator
20,201 Posts
Not overheating, correct. My cheap tank is like 4-5 years old. Just grab one off ebay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts