SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 9-3 TiD Turbo Edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Have had my 9-3 for just over a month. It went into the garage last week to have a new exhaust put on and a new wheel bearing. On doing the free health check they found a dangerous issue with the car and I’m wondering if anyone can give me any idea how it happened. The offside steering knuckle has snapped. I’ve never heard of this happening on any car before. As a bit of extra info it happens that it’s the offside wheel bearing that needs replacing and the offside brake backing plate is missing. I also know that the offside front and rear coil springs were replaced prior to it passing it’s last mot as they had both fractured.

many thanks

Sara

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If the knuckle "snapped" then I assume you'd be unable to steer. Did the shop show you what snapped? Are you sure it isn't the bottom of the strut that perhaps rusted away or maybe the sway bar link snapped? Post a picture.

Have them replace the backing plate as it helps to keep stones out of the pad/disk/caliper area.

Coil spring failure isn't uncommon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the photo that the garage sent me of the knuckle. They said it snapped, but hadn’t collapsed.
20210521_085755-Front Knuckle.jpg

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You’re lucky it was caught. Probably a manufacturing defect that took years to worsen. I’ve never seen it either.

Thank the technician at your shop.

·
Super Moderator
9,348 Posts
That's been like that for a while,That should/would have been pick up at the last mot(when was it done)..why is that cable clean as a whistle..it's rare for rear to snap...f/r on the right hand side snapped sounds like it hit a pothole..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have thanked the tech at the shop. The part is on order along with the backing plate. The last mot was done April 13th, 6 days before I bought the car. I’m not impressed. Already had to get the garage I got it from to cough up for the exhaust, the reason it snapped was corrosion related and wasn’t noted as an advisory on the mot, but I’m just sucking this up as I can’t prove when it snapped. By the time it was found the car had been in my possession for a month. They’ve also found a snapped near side rear coil spring and an oil leak. I love the car so no matter what crops up I’m going to fix her and keep her. I’ve wanted a Saab since my dad had a 900 turbo when I was a kid. I did think pothole damage or someone was doing excessive speed over speed bumps. Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has had some stuff replaced recently, for which I have the paperwork. It had brake line, rear door lock and front and rear off side coil springs done. Luckily I took it to my local Vauxhall dealer, they used to be a Saab dealer too, so they’ve got all the tools and even some Saab techs still. Waiting on parts is a killer, 7-10 working days to get here from Sweden

·
Registered
162 Posts
Waiting on parts is a killer, 7-10 working days to get here from Sweden
Could be worse--I feel like whenever I'm looking for parts on mine they're in the UK and now cost a fortune to ship and import because of Brexit. I need a new rear bumper cover and there's pretty much none to be found in Europe, but loads on eBay in the UK. Saw one that was exactly what I needed listed for £20 on eBay UK, and no way to get it. If it weren't for all this COVID nonsense I'd have just driven up and gotten it.

But, either way, good luck getting your car into shape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just thought I’d keep you all updated. Car is still in the shop. I’m now topping £1300 in repairs. The bottom arm was seized too, so that’s had to be replaced. Still no idea what the oil leak is though. Hoping to get the car back by the end of the month. By the time it comes back the o/s front will be more or less rebuilt.
The car has now had the following parts fitted in the space of 2 months:
O/s front and rear coil springs ( done by garage I bought it from prior to me buying the car)
O/s front wheel bearing
O/s front steering knuckle/ steering hub
O/s front brake backing plate
O/s front bottom arm
N/s rear coil spring
Complete exhaust
People keep asking me if it’s worth it and I’ve had moments where I’ve asked myself if I’m doing the right thing, but I love the car. I could have cut my losses, sold it and ended up with something just as bad or worse, at least I know the work has been done now and the car is safe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts