SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m in Dallas Tx and recently lost my key to my Saab:(
I have a couple of extra fobs I ordered from Amazon & had programmed years ago for $40.
I have been calling around and nobody wants to do it for less than $500. Any ideas how I can get my keys programmed without being robbed? Please help! I have Stage 4 cancer & I am on a very tight budget! Thanks! Val

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
If the key was programmed once, it doesn't need to be reprogrammed so you should be fine with the one(s) you previously ordered. That said, the cheap keys you find on Amazon and eBay are generally knockoffs that cannot be programmed in the first place. If you got some that were able to be programmed, you lucked out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the key was programmed once, it doesn't need to be reprogrammed so you should be fine with the one(s) you previously ordered. That said, the cheap keys you find on Amazon and eBay are generally knockoffs that cannot be programmed in the first place. If you got some that were able to be programmed, you lucked out!
I don’t have a key left that is programmed, unfortunately.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
If you do not have any key (fob) that work, you NEED new CIM and new fob(s).
Used CIM will work if it have paired fob. You also need NEW ORIGINAL fob(s).
For that you need TECH2 (and security access).

There is NO other way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So sorry to learn of your condition. Wish there was an easier, cheaper and faster way to rectify the problem with your car. You might be able to get this done for less than $500, but not much. Really hard to say, exactly, as the final cost depends on a few factors. It's not that you're being robbed, but there are certain parts, equipment and knowledge that are required to fix this.....none of it is cheap.
This is a very common problem with Saabs and it happens to a LOT of owners. Happened to me a few months ago. There are many, many past links and stories on this forum about the exact same situation. It's not difficult to rectify, but it does require a certain "set" of things. There is no "work around" or "hot wire" type attack to get the car going.
Not sure how you wish to proceed, but all the help you'll need to fix your key/fob problem is available right here, on this forum. There are many extremely knowledgable members, with great advice, that are more than willing to share their knowledge and expertise ( I don't consider myself to be among them, BTW :oops: ).
Let us know how you want to proceed and we'll go from there. Keep in mind, there is no "quick fix". This is gonna take a little time. If for no other reason, you're probably gonna have to rely on shipping/mailing, at some point, and that can slow things down.
You might want to start looking in your area for anyone that has a Tech2 scanner and works on their Saab. Many owners have this tool and you might be able to find someone willing to give you a hand. Try local forums (Craigs, etc) or want ads. Maybe talk to a few mechanics that work on foreign cars and Saabs. Maybe look for a Saab club or group. There are many Saab enthusiasts everywhere!
If you'd like to learn more, just ask.
Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts