SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello just started experiencing some bigger issues with my saab 93. ive read several forums about this issue and have always worried it would happen to me.
Ive had this car for just under a year now with little to no problems other than a broken suspension spring.
That is until yesterday i try getting into my car, turninf the key but found that as soon as i put the key in i hear a differenty kind of click that id normally hear and found the key was not turning followed with a “steering malfunction” reading on my dashboard.
this has been happening for about a day now and ive simply just been resetting the electronics by unplugging the neg terminal on battery. that seems to be my workaround this issue for now. Ive test my DIEHARD battery and got a reading of 12.6 volts. i was hoping my battery was the root of my issue as many others have claimed however that doesnt seem to be the case.
My next attempt to fixing this was removing fuses 1 and 2 in the drivers panel fuse box. that seemed to work for about an hour or two until i shut the car off to get gas and was found stuck at the gas station, not being able to turn the key.
Im hoping this is not an issue with the CIM as i cannot afford such a costly fix in what was originally just a beater car for winter.
Could this either be a ISM problem or CIM issue even tho resetting electronics and replugging in fuses 1 and 2 on the car seems to get the key turning?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same problem a couple years ago. I replaced the ISM but it was a bad CIM in my case.

I have seen workarounds from others if it is the CIM and you can't afford to replace it. It included putting in a switch to trip the starter relay and cutting off the steering lock. It's not optimal but can be done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts