SaabCentral Forums banner

2008 Saab 9-7x Aero Stabilitrak light and quick rear end vibration

13K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Yellowducky 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Im new to the saab world and i just purchased a saab 9-7x aero with 120k miles on it. When i test drove the car it seemed to be solid, no lights, and clean but of course after I purchased it, on my 10 hour ride home i start noticing issues. My main concern right now is when i would shut the car off and get back in and pull off i would hear a vibration/slipping noise from the rear end for about 3 seconds and it would go away. Also notice noice/vibration after sitting over night or for periods of hour or 2. Usually when that happens few moments later the stability-trak active message comes on the dash with flashes of light and if i was getting on the highway i would give it gas and the car would loose power and felt like rear brake was applied. It would turn off if i let off gas but if i give it gas again it would do the same thing. This is on completely dry roads and not my flooring the truck just easing into throttle. Now when it does comes on I lift off gas pedal and hold Traction control button till dash says stabilitrak off. From reading online, i think its the steering position sensor, and also i saw a code for that sensor that was stored in ecu memory with a snap on scanner. Will the sensor fix both my issues or are they two different issues? Am i even on the right track?

#2 ·
Sorry no one responded to you. The 97x forum is pretty quiet. Most of us spend more time at TBSSowners or trailvoy. Those forums are much more active. Mechanically, the vehicles are the overall same.

Are you sure part of what you're hearing upon startup isn't the air pump in the rear airing up the bags? If the rear end still has airbags, the air pump does cycle after startup.

Regarding the Stabilitrak, mine has the same issue. I usually just turn it off before or as I drive away after starting it. I've read that it could be steering wheel position sensor or speed sensors in the wheel hubs but I can't be bothered with replacing either. It wasn't until I bought a car in 1999 that had any sort of traction or stability control systems in it. I managed to survive without it then, pretty sure I can survive it awhile longer. lol

#3 ·
I will chime in for future reference. I had the stabilitrac light pop on at random after starting the car and turning out of my driveway into the alley. That is almost an immediate turn, not a long driveway. I note that this happens most in winter.

I could throw the truck in neutral, shut off the engine and restart and it would go away. this would lead me to believe it was the wheel position sensor, so I just ignored it because it was easy to fix on the fly.

Somewhere in there, I noted the transfer case was supposed to have its fluid changed every 50k miles, and with the proper GM fluid- not some random aftermarket fluid. I was over 50k- maybe more like 65k, and I also noticed some slight chirping of tires during tight cornering, especially when the weather and vehicle were cold. I got the right fluid and had it changed. after a day of driving, I noticed the Stabilitrac light stopped coming on, and did not do it again until I hit a bit over 100k miles.

I am of the opinion the fluid gets contaminated with the worn off clutch material, as well as just generally dirty and worn out, and causes the clutches to stick, especially when cold. This causes the tire chirping due to a lockup situation between front and rear axles. I am about 139k now, and still no issues since the last fluid change.

So, it MIGHT NOT be the wheel position sensor after all.
Your mileage may vary.
Kids don't try this at home.
Wear the proper safety equipment.
Always use Genuine GM Parts. :cheesy:

#4 ·
I am having the same issue and I used to do the "put in neutral, shut and start again", then it eventually killed the starter(LOL) while towing my camper trailer few houses away from home.

Anyway, I have just posted on Trailvoy asking for opinions.

I think the stabilitrack is cutting fuel so the truck slows right down unless you let off the gas, still takes 1-2 seconds for it to wake up and go again.

I bought a Dorman Steering Wheel Position Sensor, but others say they don't work and I might just buy a GM unit (made in Japan).

Also saw on TBSS that its the sensor on the wheel hub but I will try to change the SWPS first, because a SKF hub cost C$205.46 each from rock auto. I know they sell the sensor wires too.

Getting so tired of these fixes, I must have put in thousands fixing this truck over the 4 years I've had it.

#5 ·
I would just like to add to this troubleshooting of what I have just tried. Saab 9-7X 2008 95K km.

Stabilitrak light was more on than off. First tried the Transfer Case fluid change. I couldn't do it myself and my garage stated they had a hard time removing the fill and drain plugs so I can safely assume it was never changed. After a couple days the light stayed off for a few days and then came back on again, more on than off. My spouse drives the vehicle most of the time but I consider her a very reliable judgement of vehicles. Now light was coming on within a minute of driving and usually as soon as the brake was applied.

So after seeing a Youtube post about the GMC/Chevy Envoy, etc. and brakelight switch problems. Ordered the part from Rock Auto, part listed was hi-lighted in the index so I assume a frequently ordered part. Not too bad to change once you figured out the clip.

First test drive and no Stabilitrak warning light. I a confident these two items were the culprit, Transfer Case oil and brakelight switch.

If I remember I will update in a week or so to confirm the fix.

Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Ok I forgot to write an update. I ordered the front wheel hubs from rock auto and took it to my mechanic to have them installed. He actually did a thorough diagnostic and found that it’s the left side sensor being faulty. He measured the voltage while driving to see which side it was.

So he only replaced the left front hub and it solved the problem. Now I have the right front hub and a steering angle sensor sitting in the garage.

Been few months and no problems so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.