SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking everywhere (under the hood and on the web) for the location of the tranny dip stick in this car and I couldn't find it. I finally found it yesterday when the car was lifted.

The dip stick for the tranny is the short green dip stick located on the driver's side near the front, and can only be seen when the car is lifted. I have attached some pictures showing the location.

I am going to do a tranny drain and fill next week, I will report back telling yall how much fluid comes out.

and of course....

Bonus picture :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Dig the bonus picture! Love the red. Plasti-dipped the grill? I have been debating this...just might go for it now.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Do you know where to fill it? And make sure you don't put in any more than you take out. Should be right around 2.5-3 quarts.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Dig the bonus picture! Love the red. Plasti-dipped the grill? I have been debating this...just might go for it now.
Just do it. You will like it, it's cheap and reversible if you dont, but it will flow with the rest of your car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad that i can help you decide on dipping your grills!

on another note, i thought the drain and fill was 4 qt, not 2.5-3??

·
Registered
542 Posts
Weird... I didn't see any green dip stick or any dip stick at all for that matter on my 07. Can the dip stick just be pulled out or does that screw have to be taken out first? How are ppl filling the trans from the top of the engine bay?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weird... I didn't see any green dip stick or any dip stick at all for that matter on my 07. Can the dip stick just be pulled out or does that screw have to be taken out first? How are ppl filling the trans from the top of the engine bay?
you really have to look for it to find it. it's around where the oil filter is and look down ~6 inches.

you have to take the screw out first before you can remove the dip stick (duh). putting the screw back on is the hard part, and took me 40 minutes.

to fill the tranny you need to get a long flexible funnel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those are some great photos. The 2nd and 3rd show exactly what I see underneath my 2006, 9-3 SportCombi. What I'm trying to figure out is how to actually get the dipstick out. I tried to get a small wrench and a ratchet up in there with no success. Some forum threads I found had pics that look like the piece held on by the torx bolts (an engine damper?) was removed. But I'm not sure how there's enough room even with that gone.

Are there any tricks I need to use to get that thing off?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I got bolt from above...

...with two extensions and a small socket.

then when I put dip stick back in, I wore a glove. Its really tight in there replacing the dipstick.

I used a magnet on a telescoping thing and got the bolt back down there and then used the extensions and socket to tighten it up again

·
Registered
4 Posts
...with two extensions and a small socket.

then when I put dip stick back in, I wore a glove. Its really tight in there replacing the dipstick.

I used a magnet on a telescoping thing and got the bolt back down there and then used the extensions and socket to tighten it up again
Thanks! That worked great. I got another 16" of extensions at the store (I used 22" total) and it's as easy as changing the motor oil.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to kill the engineer who designed that dip stick. why not just make it 2 feet longer so it will be super easy to reach?

then again GM probably designed it that way so you need to bring it in to service it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dumb question, has anyone got a picture and an exact location of the ATF fill tube? I know it says near oil filter but I cant see it?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Dumb question, has anyone got a picture and an exact location of the ATF fill tube? I know it says near oil filter but I cant see it?
There isn't a fill tube. You need to remove the green plastic dip stick, then use a Transmission funnel (a standard funnel with 2 feet of hose attached to it) from the top side to slowly pour the new ATF into the transmission through the dipstick hole.

I poured the spent ATF into a one gallon plastic beverage pitcher purchased at a Dollar Store, then read the quantity of fluid on the side of the pitcher, to determine how much fresh fluid to add. I think it was 3-1/2 or 3-3/4 quarts of fluid that drained out.

2006 9-3 with 5-speed automatic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
video for saab 93 atf drain and refill

Here is a short and rough video on how to do this job.

You will need a set of ramps, a 12mm socket, 2-8 or 10 inch extensions, a 3/8 universal joint, a drain pan, a 15/16 socket for the drain plug, a funnel with tube and 4-5 quarts of 3309 ATF.

As always, be safe, wear glasses/goggles, and take your time.

Step 1. Drive car up ramps and remove the plastic engine cover.
Step 2. Make sure engine is cool. From atop the engine, fish the 12mm socket down and remove the bolt holding the fill plug.
Step 3. Use the 15/16 socket to loosen the drain plug. Approx 4 quarts will drain out.
Step 4. Reseat the drain plug.
Step 5. Use the filter and tube to add four quarts of ATF very slowly. Reseat the fill and check for leaks.
Step 6. Drive down the ramps, and check the level with the dip stick. Use a bit of masking tape to hold the bolt to the socket when you fish it down to tighten the dip stick.

I made this video on an iPhone with the youtube capture app and did not take too much time with editing. Good luck!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here is a short and rough video on how to do this job.
You don't know how annoying it was that all the DIY transmission fluid change videos on youtube were of the 9-5... or you do since you did this. Thanks!

I'm sure my 2003 9-3 is practically identical but my ATF dipstick is black?

·
Registered
361 Posts
One question, did y'all notice if it mentioned ATF I-IV on the dipstick? I know its exactly the same stuff,... etc. but the I read it somewhere it says that on there. Just curious.

Added:
Ooooh, second question, has anyone replaced any seals when they changed out their tranny fluid? WIS mentions to do so, 2 seals I believe...

·
Registered
668 Posts
I used a tip from the forum and bought two identical containers from Dollar Tree.....one for old and one for new......put the old fluid in the container and add quarts to the other until the levels are identical.

If the dipstick is really dirty and grimy sometimes its hard to see. Once you get it off they are easy to clean to neon green with WD40 and a paper towel. Some of the replacement dipsticks are yellow.

I thought about having some dipsticks/tubes made to sell that would extend the tube about 10 inches (can't go too far on the single bolt). You would have to stick your arm down a little but you would be able to read it and add from the top......sadly it seems the initial investment is too large to have them made up.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
One question, did y'all notice if it mentioned ATF I-IV on the dipstick? I know its exactly the same stuff,... etc. but the I read it somewhere it says that on there. Just curious.

Added:
Ooooh, second question, has anyone replaced any seals when they changed out their tranny fluid? WIS mentions to do so, 2 seals I believe...
It does say "Type IV" on the dipstick of my '06. I just did the drain and fill, so no need to to replace any seals. I do take the o ring off the dipstick when checking the level, like mentioned in this link.

http://saabworld.net/f69/saab-9-3-automatic-transmission-fluid-level-check-adjust-24605/

I used a tip from the forum and bought two identical containers from Dollar Tree.....one for old and one for new......put the old fluid in the container and add quarts to the other until the levels are identical.
This is a great idea. ;ol;

1 - 20 of 34 Posts