SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been through several threads and I THINK I may have figured out what I need. A lot of the other threads are somewhat confusing at times with the actual parts they used. So after everything, this is what I've come up with...

Is this the part I need to instal my aftermarket HU and retain the factory amps?

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=ct20sa04

Only problem I see is that the connectors (RCA, but appear to be referred to as ISO. New terminology for me...) are the same as the ones on the HU. So I would need adapters to connect them together. Other then that, I Hope this is the right one. Then I just need to find a decently priced dash kit.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So apparently, all I should need is the 20-273 harness? I'm not worried about the SWC at all. I have a Pioneer DVD HU that I got for way cheap that I'm putting in until I save up for a JVC Nav unit, so I'll worry about the SWCs when I do that.

All I want right now is to get this thing installed and working with the factory amps.

·
Registered
622 Posts
So apparently, all I should need is the 20-273 harness? I'm not worried about the SWC at all. I have a Pioneer DVD HU that I got for way cheap that I'm putting in until I save up for a JVC Nav unit, so I'll worry about the SWCs when I do that.

All I want right now is to get this thing installed and working with the factory amps.
Excluding the SWC wiring for now, I think for Pioneer you'd want:

51-012 (DD Cage Kit)
21-106 (Antennae Adapter)
50-311 (DD Fascia)
20-273 (ISO Wiring for Saab OEM Bose System)
20-170 (ISO to Pioneer Headunit)

Otherwise, just 20-273 may not wire directly from the car to the new headunit properly, you won't have any radio reception without the antennae adapter, and without the cage + fascia, the unit will not be a very clean looking install.

I could be wrong though. You should try to contact the company. Some have had success finding a knowledgeable rep that got them all the proper things needed. It might help if you know the exact model # of the Pioneer unit when you reach out to them as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
Been through several threads and I THINK I may have figured out what I need. A lot of the other threads are somewhat confusing at times with the actual parts they used. So after everything, this is what I've come up with...

Is this the part I need to instal my aftermarket HU and retain the factory amps?

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=ct20sa04

Only problem I see is that the connectors (RCA, but appear to be referred to as ISO. New terminology for me...) are the same as the ones on the HU. So I would need adapters to connect them together. Other then that, I Hope this is the right one. Then I just need to find a decently priced dash kit.

No, that part won't work. Here is what you need to install an aftermarket head unit in your car:

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/saab-9-3-2008-steering-wheel-stalk-control-adaptor-lead-ds-sa001.html?search=saab%209-3

And

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-dfpk-32-03-saab-9-3-2006-double-din-fascia-fitting-kit.html?search=saab%209-3

select your patch lead and presto, you're done. that's it! super easy install too, plus you retain your steering wheel controls, which is awesome.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I'll be going with the dynamic sound option, being it is cheaper and it will also give me SWC controls. Just a bummer it will cost as much or more then I paid for the HU itself (Used from coworker). Oh well, at least I'll have it all there for when I get my JVC nav unit. Other then the patch cable anyways.

·
Registered
91 Posts
..wow is it all that easy?..no cutting, plug and play? with the lead?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bluetooth?

Swedespeed, thank you for your input here. Okay, so the steering wheel controls will work but does that include the telephone controls (on the steering wheel), assuming that the HU is equipped with Bluetooth?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Waiting on swedespeed7...But I'm guessing, use of BT will be via head unit only, you'd have to use the head unit touch screen to go to the BT phone interface (ie whatever functionality it has)...use phone book, touch head unit to answer etc... for me if it's true, it would be no big loss.

·
Registered
622 Posts
would this apply to my 2007 as well? 2007 got the updated interior + stereo that the 2008+ has, so if that's all I need then and 2007 is the same as 2008, then I may do this sooner than I was planning.

My JVC KW-NSX1 unit runs BT and CD/DVDs. It also has both aux and usb inputs for other devices. It doesn't run Nav from the headunit, but it does use Mirrorlink with my Galaxy S4 to share my phone's display with the touchscreen on the headunit. This means that I run nav from my phone, but view and operate it from the screen on the headunit. I also use a hacked version of the Mirrorlink app that will share everything (not just specific apps), so just about any screen/app from my phone can be shared and operated from the headunit. The feedback is laggy, but it works great for streaming music from my phone + running nav at the same time. I can make any/all adjustments and flip between apps/screens directly from the headunit and just leave the phone docked. The connection for running Mirrorlink will also charge my phone while it's connected. It's a pretty smart little setup. The lag between the touchscreen and the phone is the only drawback, but it's not a big deal to me.

BT on the SWC isn't a big issue for me either. The touchscreen is fine for handling that. I'm assuming the SID controls remain active no matter what, but I do like using the SWC for Volume and Track/Station changes.

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
Swedespeed, thank you for your input here. Okay, so the steering wheel controls will work but does that include the telephone controls (on the steering wheel), assuming that the HU is equipped with Bluetooth?
When I installed a Kenwood double din touchscreen in my '09, as far as I remember, yes, the BT SWCs worked to control the phone portion of the Kenwood.

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
Mind you, after doing the install on my '09, I took everything out and reverted back to stock within a few days. I returned the Kenwood to Crutchfield (awesome return policy) and sold all the wiring/harness here on SC. This was back in 2011. I hated the touch screen (I like physical buttons) and went back to the stock non-nav radio. I now use the USAspec GM iPod adapter + Spotify for music and it works just fine (CD quality audio, controls iPod from stock head unit, charges iPod, and displays song/artist info on stock head unit). I don't need navigation or dvd capability so there really isn't a reason for a double din for me.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm mainly putting it in so I can use the Pandora feature. Don't have an iPod, nor do I ever plan to get one. That and I have it just laying around, so might as well use it.

Forgot about the antenna adapter. Guess I should put that order in too...

·
Registered
91 Posts
For myself I think the head unit upgrade is something I'd like to do but not high on my priority as I'm not looking at future upgrades (speakers, amp tweeters, sub, etc etc)..

I have BT - so it's not for that, but it's more for GPS and cosmetics of the interior. Anything I can do to spice up the blah/look inside (making it look more luxury is a + in my book)!

I would want one that has at least one knob for volume and a good gps function where I can d/l software ie. igo primo and run off of SD. I find my habit of going to the unit too strong to break and I hate pure touchscreen.

Only bad thing is the probability of potential prowling/break will increase as well.

This makes my future journey easier when I get to that point. Thanks all!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I now use the USAspec GM iPod adapter
Happen to have a link for that?

I've gone back and forth on the aftermarket/stock radio decision, and I feel like this might be a good middle ground for me as well. My old car had an aftermarket headunit with a iPod connecter that I just kept in the glovebox. I could control my old iPod Mini through the radio controls and it worked beautifully.

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts