SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the navigation radio with the 6cd changer in the trunk.
After recently having the brake booster changed out and the battery
disconnected, where the clock would normally displayed in a button in the upper right corner of the display, it is now blank. If you press and hold this button, the clock set-up screen is pulled up. The problem is none of the adjustments are active or changeable and the clock display button is always blank. I have tried disconnecting the battery and rebooting the system with no success. I took it to my repair guy today and had him do a full scan which shows all the systems are communicating with each other and are happy, no error codes.

Has anyone ever come across this problem or have a solution for it? On a side note, I have never had a navigational cd for the system. Does anyone know of a source for one of these or would they be too out of date to be of any use?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have the navigation radio with the 6cd changer in the trunk.
After recently having the brake booster changed out and the battery
disconnected, where the clock would normally displayed in a button in the upper right corner of the display, it is now blank. If you press and hold this button, the clock set-up screen is pulled up. The problem is none of the adjustments are active or changeable and the clock display button is always blank. I have tried disconnecting the battery and rebooting the system with no success. I took it to my repair guy today and had him do a full scan which shows all the systems are communicating with each other and are happy, no error codes.

Has anyone ever come across this problem or have a solution for it? On a side note, I have never had a navigational cd for the system. Does anyone know of a source for one of these or would they be too out of date to be of any use?

Thanks,
John
Not sure about the clock but for my 2005, I was able to set the clock and date with no Nav. As for the NAV disc, I got one off a member here. I believe the last update for mine (2005 MY) was 2013 or something? I don't recall off hand. so far I haven't gone anywhere that wasn't in the disc, but I also have GPS nav on my phone (not google nav) so I'm not all that worried about it to be honest. The in car Nav is handy when travelling because it shows you the next 3 locations and distance to stop and get food, use a washroom or get gas automatically.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Go figure, my turn now not able to adjust date/time on Nav

Got a replacement battery today, swapped it in. Set the time on the SID, and then proceeded to do the same with the Nav screen.
First thing I checked was for GPS Sat coverage (It was active).
Pressed the date button on right side, nothing. Press and hold, nothing.
Pressed Adj on the left column of buttons, selected the clock option button on the Nav screen. Daylight Saving time button is inactive, CLOCK ADJUST is empty, Display Type is set at 12H and 24H is not selectable (it reverts back to 12H immediately), GPS TIME is --:--, TIME ZONE is just a big blank field.

Is there any hope Obi-Wan? This may be my last hope.

***Of course this had to happen since I was so quick to say "I never had this issue"*** I know, I know, jokes on me, but seriously, Outside of requiring GPS coverage, what else would the system need to just set a date/time?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I guess this must be a first then. GPS signal, good to go. Clock/Date setting inoperable. Time to scour the earth for info. If I find any, I'll post back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Nocturne!

Did you find a fix?

It just so happens that I changed the battery on my 08 9-5 Aero last week and have encountered exactly the same problem. My symptoms are identical to yours in every respect.

I haven't been able to come up with a workaround. For now I've concluded that there is an issue with the clock data being sent via GPS and the head unit can't decode it correctly. I have not been able to verify this, but I can't come to any other conclusion.

Why on earth there is no option to actually set the time is beyond me. It seem bizarre that it has to lock onto GPS time and only then gives you the ability to make adjustments.

If you've manage to fix it please let me know.

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Hi Nocturne!

Did you find a fix?

It just so happens that I changed the battery on my 08 9-5 Aero last week and have encountered exactly the same problem. My symptoms are identical to yours in every respect.

I haven't been able to come up with a workaround. For now I've concluded that there is an issue with the clock data being sent via GPS and the head unit can't decode it correctly. I have not been able to verify this, but I can't come to any other conclusion.

Why on earth there is no option to actually set the time is beyond me. It seem bizarre that it has to lock onto GPS time and only then gives you the ability to make adjustments.

If you've manage to fix it please let me know.

Cheers

Tim
I'm still at a loss. I check every day, and nothing has changed. It doesn't make ANY sense to me at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! Just wanted to let you know that my 95 is exactly the same after a battery replacement. Also, having done a whole host of research, we are most definitely not alone in this. The Corvette and Cadillac forums are full of people having exactly the same issue. GM in the States have opened a service bulletin on it and seemingly Nippon Denso are aware of the issue but only time will tell if a fix comes. If there is any interest I’m happy to provide links to a couple of forums in the US that are having the same issue!

All the best

James

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Hello! Just wanted to let you know that my 95 is exactly the same after a battery replacement. Also, having done a whole host of research, we are most definitely not alone in this. The Corvette and Cadillac forums are full of people having exactly the same issue. GM in the States have opened a service bulletin on it and seemingly Nippon Denso are aware of the issue but only time will tell if a fix comes. If there is any interest I’m happy to provide links to a couple of forums in the US that are having the same issue!

All the best

James
I'd be interested

·
Registered
2,349 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
info I found out

I have started a thread here about this, and somebody just pointed this one out to me.

https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6372582#post6372582

The upshot of what I wrote is:

I have been talking to a Saab Shop and they claim that the Denso has a software fault. When you disconnect the Battery it happens, and the screen with the clock is no longer available. Now I have disconnected the battery several times over the years and I never had this happen. I did however disconnect the Battery this time for a small electrical repair, after that the Denso had the problem.

And:

OK I discovered more. Via the Saab Club NL I found the following info. It is, apparently, a known problem and seems to be a software fault.

If you disconnect the Battery it happens. You can no longer set the clock and there is a stripe through the GPS symbol. However the Navigation still works so there seems to be a GPS signal.

It is a software bug in all Denso units from 2005 till 2010. US Cadillac’s apparently have it too and apparently the Corvette C6 has it too. According to the poster is GM working on it.

If I find out more, I post.

Still, I be interested to hear if anybody else has the problem or has a solution or other information.

As to disconnecting the battery I suspect it is true. However I also like to say that I have disconnected mine many times over the years without any problem it just happened after this last disconnect.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Soooo, it seems that we'll be SOL. Unless a new Firmware for SAAB becomes available (which I doubt since lately from what I've read, all updates/fixes etc for MY '05-'10 from GM cover everything except SAAB).
Denso should provide a downloadable update direct from their site for the units at no cost since essentially this seems to have been an oversight on Denso's part, a defect essentially.

Time will tell (no pun intended, or is it?...)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Soooo, it seems that we'll be SOL. Unless a new Firmware for SAAB becomes available (which I doubt since lately from what I've read, all updates/fixes etc for MY '05-'10 from GM cover everything except SAAB).
Denso should provide a downloadable update direct from their site for the units at no cost since essentially this seems to have been an oversight on Denso's part, a defect essentially.

Time will tell (no pun intended, or is it?...)
I have approached Denso direct with this, I suggest as many of you, that have this problem (or will have the problem in the future, you will if you disconnect your battery, so get proactive I would say) do the same. Maybe that helps and all we have to loose in the end is time. (Was that a pun too? Not sure.)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts