SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states my car only came with one key. I asked how much a spare would cost and I got quoted about $350 by the dealer. I asked what if I got a new blade and bought a used fob online, he said they can only be programmed once. I highly doubt that is true. I did some research and found the 9-3 can only be programmed once but found very little info on the 9-5.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198081

The only info I found was an archive on this site, the guy in the end called and got a cut key from clearcomtech for $100 and had the dealer program it. My question is... Was the dealer trying to take advantage of me? Do you think they will program the key if I do get it from clearcom tech?

Sorry for the length I just wanted to give a thorough back story.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,287 Posts
As the title states my car only came with one key. I asked how much a spare would cost and I got quoted about $350 by the dealer. I asked what if I got a new blade and bought a used fob online, he said they can only be programmed once. I highly doubt that is true. I did some research and found the 9-3 can only be programmed once but found very little info on the 9-5.

The only info I found was an archive on this site, the guy in the end called and got a cut key from clearcomtech for $100 and had the dealer program it. My question is... Was the dealer trying to take advantage of me? Do you think they will program the key if I do get it from clearcom tech?

Of course... We're talking about dealers. Your paying for all the overhead and coffee. Never been a dealer guy myself.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Any dealer can order a cut key based on the vin. He will also order the internals and the rear door. I think it is about 50.00. Call around. Most will charge about 50.00 to program it into the car with the Tech II. A key can be reprogramed one time I believe but very few know how to do it. Some of the e bay sellers claim they sell keys that have been set up to be reprogrammed. If that is so you need to only order a blank key from the dealer and swap out the internals and have it programmed. But that is risky.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I did this as cheaply as possible and I still ended up paying about $150.

Had to pay $45 for the cut shaft....plus an *** load of shipping due to stealership rules. But I got the internals off eBay for like $25. Then I had to pay an indie $80 to have it programmed. Around here there was just no cheaper way.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
A cheaper way would be to get a type 1A transponder key as a spare (about $11 each); get the key code for your car from the dealer and have a locksmith cut it for you; some locksmiths can clone the type 1A's or use a Tech 2. I get a key programmed for $40, $10 for each addtional.

I did this as cheaply as possible and I still ended up paying about $150.

Had to pay $45 for the cut shaft....plus an *** load of shipping due to stealership rules. But I got the internals off eBay for like $25. Then I had to pay an indie $80 to have it programmed. Around here there was just no cheaper way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got back from the dealer and they now quoted me at around $250 now. Clearmotech is 135 cut and shipped and then it would be another 50 for programming. So to save the hassle and keep it local I just ordered one from the dealer. $50 dollars isn't worth getting a possible non working key from a company very far away from me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A cheaper way would be to get a type 1A transponder key as a spare (about $11 each); get the key code for your car from the dealer and have a locksmith cut it for you; some locksmiths can clone the type 1A's or use a Tech 2. I get a key programmed for $40, $10 for each addtional.

Dumb question...so a type 1A transponder key will allow you to open the door (using the key - no remote) and will let you turn on the car without the alarm tripping. So a good spare. It just lacks the remotes.

Right? I'm thinking I need a spare. Sounds like it cost $54 ($11 key plus $40 to program the transponder).

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
This is correct. I have two type 1A's; when I switched to the type 2 keys; I have one as second spare and the other hidden somwhere on the car in a hide a key if I ever lose one away from home.

Here's a good deal on a type 2; with the dealer keycode you can have this cut at a locksmith that does laser cut keys; get the remote on ebay then have it programmed to your car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2002-Saab-9-5-9-3-Remote-Key-Shell-2-Track-/151059185471?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item232bd43f3f&vxp=mtr

Dumb question...so a type 1A transponder key will allow you to open the door (using the key - no remote) and will let you turn on the car without the alarm tripping. So a good spare. It just lacks the remotes.

Right? I'm thinking I need a spare. Sounds like it cost $54 ($11 key plus $40 to program the transponder).

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
My son lost a key the other day for his 99. I just called the dealer and they told me that they can't get the pre-cut keys anymore so the $50 Type 2 key is a blank that then the dealer charges to cut and program.

$50 for the ky
$132 for the remote
$18 for the back
$120 to cut and program

ouch!

looks like an ebay trip for me!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've done this a number of times as I've bought cars with only one key.

Buy the transmitter and back off of eBay. They can be reprogrammed as many times as needed. The last time I did this it cost me $35.00 shipped.

My dealership has factory blanks for $11.00 each (sans guts of course) but even if you buy them off of eBay anyplace that can make side-cut keys can copy the one you have.

Then you only need the Tech II programming procedure.

·
Registered
659 Posts
with the dealer keycode you can have this cut at a locksmith that does laser cut keys; get the remote on ebay then have it programmed to your car.
Just one correction. They do not have to be laser cut. Any locksmith or key shop that can do a side cut key can replicate these. Essentially it cuts the key much like a router would cut wood.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Call this number 617 923-0014 ask for Jim; he can send you a key cut to your car; you would just need a transmitter and cover; that you can get off ebay then have it programmed; the blank type 2 for 1999 is part # 5184502

These guys have the blanks as well if you want to get it cut by a locksmith; you would need a key code or if you have one key left you can have them copy it.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/shop/search.php?search=5184502#linkbar

My son lost a key the other day for his 99. I just called the dealer and they told me that they can't get the pre-cut keys anymore so the $50 Type 2 key is a blank that then the dealer charges to cut and program.

$50 for the ky
$132 for the remote
$18 for the back
$120 to cut and program

ouch!

looks like an ebay trip for me!

·
Registered
22 Posts
After a 2 year absence from owning a Saab, I just bought a 2003 9-5 Arc with only one key. I am going to order a pre-cut key and then the remote parts from Ebay. Any recommendations for a dealer/indy/locksmith in the Northern California area that can program the key/remote at a reasonable price?

Since I have moved out to California with my previous 2001 9-5 SE, I have everything on my Saabs, so I don't have any experiences with local any dealers or indies.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I got mine programmed by south bay saab (a small independent) in south San Jose. Just north of 82 and capitol expressway. IIRC he charged me $50 and changed a whole bunch of stuff while he was in there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts