SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am new to this car I am wondering if the car is running too rich as the end of the chrome exhaust on the exterior is always getting soot-ed up. I can wipe it off w/out a problem so I was just wondering if this is typical?
Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Exhaust Tip soot what is normal?

Mine looks pretty sooty as well. I don't have any helpful info to add but I am curious as well. :D
Ditto I have 2006 9-5 Sportcombi. I just cleaned up my car last weekend. Clay bar, wax, did the rims, and cleaned the exhaust tip. I noticed it was already sooty again just after four days. So I just cleaned the tip again today.

I am also very interested in the amount of soot coming from the exhaust. I checked the oil level and it seems fine. Is this normal?

One of my concerns is that when we purchased our car it had to be driven to our dealer from about 300 miles away. I was concerned the driver beating on my car too much in the early going. Does SAAB do a factory break in?

Anyone beuler?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mine does the same all the time. Just clean it now and then.
However, by running the engine in idle for 15-20 minutes in a closed underground parking lot, I cannot identify at all any fumes or burnt oil smell.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ditto I have 2006 9-5 Sportcombi. I just cleaned up my car last weekend. Clay bar, wax, did the rims, and cleaned the exhaust tip. I noticed it was already sooty again just after four days. So I just cleaned the tip again today.

I am also very interested in the amount of soot coming from the exhaust. I checked the oil level and it seems fine. Is this normal?

One of my concerns is that when we purchased our car it had to be driven to our dealer from about 300 miles away. I was concerned the driver beating on my car too much in the early going. Does SAAB do a factory break in?

Anyone beuler?
Most delivery drivers are paid by the mile and lots are petrol heads and appreciate a quick take off.

So do the maths (math).

I guess there's a whole new thread on whether running in is a good thing or not!

·
Registered
429 Posts
My '05 Aero's tip is also always covered in soot (carbon). I frequently just take a rag and wipe it off.

The dealer says it is normal build-up, and some research on different Saab boards seem to suggest that these cars run a bit on the rich side to prevent knocking and potential melt-down issues.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen a car without a sooty tailpipe... unless it was electric or something dumb like that. Soot in the tailpipe is 100% normal and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't think I have ever seen a car without a sooty tailpipe... unless it was electric or something dumb like that. Soot in the tailpipe is 100% normal and nothing to worry about.
Both Jeep Grand Cherokee's I've had do not gather soot & carbon on the outside of the tip like my Saab. My exhaust tip will be totally covered in less than a week.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Its been my understanding that nearly every stock tune runs very slightly rich. Rich is not quite optimal, but far better than running lean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts