SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A craigslist listing came up for a excellent condition 2008 9-5 on the big island Hawaii.

except the auto transmission slips @80K miles :confused:

Wil move with a lot of revs apparently.

Present owner inherited from a previous tenant so is vague about what happened to the automatic transmission.

Could it be low on fluid? What else?

I could use it as a parts car for my 2003 9-5 standard transmission

Humm,

suggestions.

TY

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
I was showing that car to my wife last night since we're on vacation in Hawaii right now. I was trying to think how to get it back to Seattle, but that's not going to happen. :) I've never seen a red wagon in Seattle, but then I saw a red 2002 or 2003 wagon in Waikiki yesterday, and then this one! There's even a 2004 Aero wagon on Hawaii Craigslist. Who'd have thought!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Offer them $300 and try a flush and fill with some Valvoline maxlife synthetic AT fluid from walmart, it's only $18 a gallon. IF it doesn't work you have a full parts car for $300. That car doesn't have an AT dipstick so you'll need to get a T-55(I think) to remove the fill plug. You'll probably get that money back the first few times you need parts for your ride.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was showing that car to my wife last night since we're on vacation in Hawaii right now. I was trying to think how to get it back to Seattle, but that's not going to happen. :) I've never seen a red wagon in Seattle, but then I saw a red 2002 or 2003 wagon in Waikiki yesterday, and then this one! There's even a 2004 Aero wagon on Hawaii Craigslist. Who'd have thought!
I am not fond of red cars, I drive too fast! But at that price its a steal on the islands

From what I can see from the transmission threads it may just need a trany flush, maybe that's wishful thinking?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Offer them $300 and try a flush and fill with some Valvoline maxlife synthetic AT fluid from walmart, it's only $18 a gallon. IF it doesn't work you have a full parts car for $300. That car doesn't have an AT dipstick so you'll need to get a T-55(I think) to remove the fill plug. You'll probably get that money back the first few times you need parts for your ride.
So that tranny plug is not the 23mm 15/16". TY

·
Registered
20 Posts
My fill plug looks like, no dip stick. I think the 15/16 you are referring to is the drain plug.
https://www.autopartsapi.com/eEuroparts.com/images/parts/md_0c76a3ce-2665-4efd-b093-d412ef78881d.jpg
I have a 08 9-5. No dipstick and you'll need to make a dipstick to check the level. Just get two sticks intersected at 90 degrees like a cross and measure 2" from the top of the at casing for proper level. Link here for instructions https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343466
I made sure I was able to remove the fill plug before I drained it. (it was suggested by another posting here)

Try the once drain and fill and you'll know if it's the fluid level causing issues.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
DO NOT undo the large bolt on the top of the transmission. That is the anchor for one of the transmission bands and if you take it out you'll need to rebuild the transmission.

The fill point has, IIRC, a Torx plug in it. It's on the front of the transmission in front of the gearshift position switch (a.k.a. Neutral Safety Switch)

The AW55 gearbox is pretty solid and has been used in some pretty high mileage cars that I've seen. (including my 2003 Aero that had 190K on it when I sold it)

One thing that could have happened is that someone put the wrong fluid into the transmission. The transmission is designed for a fluid that meets the JWS 3309 specification and without the friction modifiers that are in that fluid it won't perform properly.

Or the fluid is low. But without a dipstick you'll have to make one to measure the fluid. If it's low then it's likely leaking somewhere. you should be able to see that.

But a 3X drain/fill with the proper fluid might well clean up the problem and won't cost you a whole lot. The Saab owner manual back in those days specifically said to not use synthetic fluids but that was before I knew of any JWS 3309 spec fluids. They might be ok, but I'd check on line if your fluid meets that spec.

(Mobil 3309 and Toyota Type IV both do)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have a great time and enjoy our patch of good weather!

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Oh, and BTW. A used AW55 transmission will set you back about $400, shipping to HI is probably not THAT much. If you have some wrenching skills you could probably do the transmission yourself and then end up with a $1500 2008 9-5 with 80K.

And a red wagon to boot! (love my Red 2001 Aero wagon!)

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
DONT use that Valvoline stuff. My goodness. Wrong information. Its good to try a trans fluid change but it takes #3309; Mobil sell it as just that or Toyota fluid AISIN transmission and Aisin themselves recommend changes at every 40,000 miles.

its unlikely that a fluid change can help but its worth a shot. A good used trans from LKQ is readily available. Try to match years.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
My fill plug looks like, no dip stick. I think the 15/16 you are referring to is the drain plug.
https://www.autopartsapi.com/eEuroparts.com/images/parts/md_0c76a3ce-2665-4efd-b093-d412ef78881d.jpg
I have a 08 9-5. No dipstick and you'll need to make a dipstick to check the level. Just get two sticks intersected at 90 degrees like a cross and measure 2" from the top of the at casing for proper level. Link here for instructions https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343466
I made sure I was able to remove the fill plug before I drained it. (it was suggested by another posting here)

Try the once drain and fill and you'll know if it's the fluid level causing issues.
I just use the trans dipstick off my 05 to check the fluid level in my 08. The idea being that once the very end of the black plastic is at the top edge of inner plug hole, that’s the check point. The rest of the stick would otherwise be in a tube like the 05.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For example, this one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-Saab-9-5-9-5-Automatic-Transmission-Auto-Trans-B235L-R-4-Cyl-OEM/143121912141?fits=Model:9-5|Make:Saab&hash=item2152bb114d:g:gSIAAOSw6aVcXJp-:rk:2:pf:0

(check out the "interchange number" since you can search on that and find more)

$449 with free shipping (probably not to HI) but you should be able to pay the incremental shipping to get it to you
Oh, and BTW. A used AW55 transmission will set you back about $400, shipping to HI is probably not THAT much. If you have some wrenching skills you could probably do the transmission yourself and then end up with a $1500 2008 9-5 with 80K.

And a red wagon to boot! (love my Red 2001 Aero wagon!)
So it would be an engine out job, right?

What does "interchange number" mean?

Thanks for your feedbacks, and everyone else too.

Greatly appreciated, hope to get it running, its a shame to make it into a parts car as everything else is in really good condition.

TY

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's either an engine out or subframe off job. The transmission can be replaced either way.
Amazing news

The transmission took 7 qts, fired it up and drove it home.

It had leaked out.

Cherry inside and excellent out. 72K miles $400

Ordered new tires and got to fix tire pressure sensor on rhs front and other small stuff.

Engine clean like new.

So thinking I should flush the transmission again soon, anything else I can do?

New serpentine belt, ac needs recharging

BTW filler plug is a 50 Torx.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
What does "interchange number" mean?
For completeness even though you apparently don't need a new transmission.

The interchange number is something that the used auto parts business uses to identify stuff. For example, the AW55 will fit all 9-5's from 2002 thru 2009, although there were some variants for the V6 and Aero models. So instead of searching for all of the different model years, you can use the interchange number that identifies the same part for all of those years.

In most eBay parts listings that are done by disassembles, they list the interchange number.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts