SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove the new 9 3, nice car in person, really like the new body work. The interior looks much better in this car as opposed to the 2007. They had a conv and sedan and was told by the business manager they have a 9 3X but I did not see that model. The leather seems of better quality-like a BMW nice and soft. A few things I did not like were the door handles-not SAAB look like they came off the Cadillac BLS, the small grills and not functional-blocked off-yuck! and i would remove the daytime running lights so the LED eyebrow light would look much better. I cannot wait until my lease is up to get one. Oh, the cars they had are not for sale, still waiting for EPA stickers.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
bofusric said:
A few things I did not like were the door handles-not SAAB look like they came off the Cadillac BLS
Did you notice that the convertible still has the old style handles and rub strips, where the sedan and the combi have the new handles and no rub strips.
Steve.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Conv still has old style handles and rub strips, maybe because SAAB does not build it-Magna Styr in Austria builds it along with the BMW X3.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I agree with you about the door handles (lost the Saabness), rub strips and grille (Why the bogus grills guys?).

The interior doesn't appear changed from 2007 other than the leather upgrade ($1500). Did Saab change the interior from 2007-2008 (other than fancy leather)?

·
Registered
132 Posts
From everything I have read, the 9-3X isn't supposed to be available until January 08. I really wonder if they had one in stock. I am waiting to test drive one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do not like the door handles as well, much prefer the ones on my'06. Something else I noticed on a road trip this past weekend... I saw the same "shark fin" on a Chevy Cobalt as on the '08. Damn product integration.

·
Registered
250 Posts
DanS said:
I agree with you about the door handles (lost the Saabness), rub strips and grille (Why the bogus grills guys?).

The interior doesn't appear changed from 2007 other than the leather upgrade ($1500). Did Saab change the interior from 2007-2008 (other than fancy leather)?
When I first read your post, I thought "uh-oh, they have made leather an option for '08 and it comes standard with vinyl" I checked the SABBUSA site and was relieved when I saw it was only the premium leather that was an option. It still has the leather seats we all have now standard. :)

The reason I was so worried is that I have been also looking at the '08 CTS. Believe it or not, it comes standard with vinyl upolstery! (euphemistically called "leatherette"). You have to buy the $2200 leather package. I can't believe they are selling a Caddy without leather standard. I bet hardly anyone buys it without leather seats. This is like charging for different colors of paint - just a way of advertising an attractive starting price.

Barry - '04 9-3 Arc SS

·
Registered
59 Posts
Investor74 said:
The reason I was so worried is that I have been also looking at the '08 CTS. Believe it or not, it comes standard with vinyl upolstery! (euphemistically called "leatherette"). You have to buy the $2200 leather package. I can't believe they are selling a Caddy without leather standard. I bet hardly anyone buys it without leather seats. This is like charging for different colors of paint - just a way of advertising an attractive starting price.

Barry - '04 9-3 Arc SS
BMW does the same thing. Leatherette is std until you get up to the 550i series with base MSRP $58K..then you get Dakota leather std.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
The interior I thought was carried over from MY 07' as it was new then.

Which dealer told you they had a 9-3 X?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I saw acouple new 9-3s (non Aeros) at my dealership last week - man how they have changed since the 2006s! Granted I have yet to see the new Aeros albeit from what I have seen, they will also be a disappointment to many, and don't forget about the price increase.

If someone is seriously considering a 9-3, my almost new 2006 Aero in the Classifieds would be a great deal, especially with the extras, low miles, etc. - open to offers for a quick sale.

·
Registered
811 Posts
2008's disappointing in person

Had a quick look at the 08's at my dealer today and I must say they changes are quite disappointing. The overall look of the car is poor, the flow, the lines, I will stick with my 06 and wouldnt purchase an 08 based on what I have seen thus far. Too bad really.

Drew

·
Registered
72 Posts
Was at the dealer yesterday too, not that overly impressed with the 08's either, and the salesman said they are having a hard time selling them, And Saab's programs for leasing them is awful people are driving up the street to lease an Audi A4 instead. Glad I got an 07! Hopefully they will increase the incentives on the remaining 07's November 1, so I get another 07.

·
Registered
588 Posts
naples007 said:
Was at the dealer yesterday too, not that overly impressed with the 08's either, and the salesman said they are having a hard time selling them, And Saab's programs for leasing them is awful people are driving up the street to lease an Audi A4 instead. Glad I got an 07! Hopefully they will increase the incentives on the remaining 07's November 1, so I get another 07.
I completely agree. I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Add in the fact that they cost more and the incentives aren't that great, and you are going to have a bunch sitting on the lot.

oh, and no bluetooth...still.....!

·
Registered
72 Posts
And no side door bumber guards, door dings galore! Why the removed them who knows, they could have kept them and color key them to match the paint, oh well the black is fine anyways matches the window tint nice.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Cosmicflash said:
The interior I thought was carried over from MY 07' as it was new then.

Which dealer told you they had a 9-3 X?
Yes, interior is identical to 2007 with some very minor changes in color of a few plastic pieces.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Saw an ad in the paper for the new 9-3. $28K gets you 16" rims, rainsensing wipers, XM, and Onstar.

So in addition to the restyle, they increased content. My '07 has rainsensing wipers in the Premium Package, but no Onstar or XM.

I think $28K is a damn good deal. You can't even buy a decent Accord or Camry for that money.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Checked out the 08's this evening. Was hoping to see an SC but I guess they aren't available yet.

Noticed the "new EPA" mpg #'s--wow:suprised;

2.0T--19 city, 26 hwy
2.8T--15 city, 24 hwy

both autos.

The doors seem heavier and more solid than the 06-07's and I compared mine, an 07' on the lot, the new 08'.
Perhaps one of the gazillion improvements was more sound deading or something that maked the doors more solid.

Also read in the manual that 5W 30 and 5W 40 weight oil is now approved along with the 0W 30 and 0W 40 that has been required since the 03' MY.

Also, they now charge for the moonroof:( Hasn't that always been standard since 03' MY?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I´ve done now few test drives on ´08. Yes, more than 5 times. That´s what was needed for me to get confirmed that it´s an improvement over ´07. And now I must admit that actually it´s quite a big improvement.

First, I have ´07 SC w/30000km on the clock myself, so I have some sort of an idea how it is to drive and how it feels.

First, sound proofing. You have to drive on a highwayspeed to pickup the difference. The overall sound is smoother and more dampened feel on ´08. Especially annoying tire noise have been cutted a good amount.

And like here stated, doors feel like chunkier. I like the new doorhandles. First they felt a bit clunky, but actually they are easier to use than the ones on ´07. Even if they´re from Chevy Malibu or some other car.

6 spd transmission feels more precise now. Changing feel is easy and very accurate.

And then there´s the looks. It´s just brilliant. From all the angles. Unfortunately it makes my ´07 to look dated. Quite badly actually :(
Of course this is a matter of taste, but that´s how I feel about it.

New SportShift transmission is awesome. It really is sporty to drive. It holds the gear quite long if you slow down a bit. Like cornering for example, it will hold the same gear and there´s torque right on tap when you press the pedal to come out of corner. Also downshifts are really smooth, seemless and very quick. This is excellent upgrade.

New black interior is nice. Though it makes the car look a bit Japanese to me. They use black interior colours a lot. But anyways, it looks good in a Saab too, so no problem there.

Cannot wait the testdrive of TTiD and XWD Aero models. These, of course, are the biggest improvements over previous models.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Cosmicflash;

The wording re viscosity of oils to use has been changed from previous years to make it a little clearer in the 2008 manual. 5W30 and 5W40 have been allowed in past as long as they meet the spec. The 2008 manual now spells out that these particular viscosities can be considered.

However,the catch is that the manual also says that all oils must meet the required spec(GM-LL-A 025).Most 5w30 and 5W40 Synthetics do not meet the spec. For example,Mobil 1 Syn 0W40 meets the spec and it is the usual factory fill for N.A.; but Mobil 1 5W30 Syn does not meet the spec. I personally am not aware of any 5W30 or 5W40 synthetic that meets the spec.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts