SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what term SAAB uses for them, but I'm looking for OEM or aftermarket rails to fit on an 08 wagon. Needing to have the proper setup to be able to transport skis and kayaks.
Possibly interested in fairing and ski racks as well if you have them.

If you have some or know of a place that they can be purchased for a reasonable price please just let me know. Thanks!:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I am shocked that yakima or thule doesn't offer a bolt-on option instead of just a clamp-on option. I'm 90% sure that Thule is the OEM on the rails, too!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you don't have the factory rails, you should still have the factory mounts on the roof for a bolt on set-up. I have a 2010, and there are four tabs on the roof that flip up. Under those tabs are mount points for the OEM load bars, or you can order Thule 758 Specialty load carrier. Surprisingly, the OEM bars are cheaper, but I am not sure what the difference is, if any between them and Thule bars. I am pretty sure Thule makes the SAAB branded bars too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes -- I have the tabs that flip up and there is threaded inserts for a roof rack beneath them. Figures that the only application that will work on those mounting points is the Thule :( I get 50% off on Yakima products.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't like how either of them mounts to the roof and exposes the hex bolts that mount them. I had a Volvo S60 and a really nice Volvo rack that had covers over the mount tabs and I even added locks to them. Seems like SAAB and Thule could have done the same thing since they are basically 1 in the same.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm still a little confused. Just so the terminology is common for all of us -- these cars have factory roof rails (which I don't have and run front to back) and then they would have cross bars (left to right) and then racks (equipment specific).

So -- you can install the cross bars without the rails or do I need both the cross bars AND the rails?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are correct in all accounts - Even with the factory roof rails, which run front to back, you have to install the roof rack or cross bars which mount to the rails, and run left to right. If you don't have the roof rails, you have to install the roof rack (under the tabs). Even with either of these options, you still need to have equipment specific carriers or racks.

I don't have the factory rails - so I plan on installing the SAAB P/N 32025591 or Thule 758 load bars and adding my own bike racks to them. All of these racks and info are on the SAAB accessories website : http://www.saabusa.com/us/en/start#/buy-own/ownership-experience/accessories/view-accessories/

·
Registered
6 Posts
I posted a response, but it said it had to be approved by a moderator and never showed up...

You are correct in what you are stating...if you don't have the factory rails, you can install the stand alone cross bars, or load bars, and then attach equipment racks to those. If you have the factory rails, you still have to have some sort of cross bar, or load bar to carry any equipment.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have OEM rails from a 06 9-3 Combi (which should fit all years of the 9-3 Combi) that I am interested in selling. Perfect condition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts