SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
today i take test drive new 2008 saab. new body style but i going around and...... i'm looking where i can turn off esp.in 2008 model you can't. esp it's always is turn on.?????? wha't????? i can't........i want decaide on off.........

·
Registered
87 Posts
It would be a very bad thing if you can't turn off the ESP in the MY08. Especially when driving on steep hills in the snow, the system sometimes just goes crazy and you can't drive the car anymore. M-B has the same crappy system.

Solution: pull the fuse in the rare cases you need to turn it off.

·
Registered
850 Posts
second button under the Night Panel button, this is for switch off the ESP/TCS.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Yes, esp, abs, tcs are all the same button. Essentially they are all the same mechanism anyway (with the addition of a couple sensors).

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I had the ESP kick in on an off ramp yesterday. I took the ramp WAAAAAY too fast, the car was understeering like crazy. Then I heard a strange sound, I guess similar to ABS, and all of a sudden the car turned in and stopped understeering.

Very cool.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Krieg said:
I had the ESP kick in on an off ramp yesterday. I took the ramp WAAAAAY too fast, the car was understeering like crazy. Then I heard a strange sound, I guess similar to ABS, and all of a sudden the car turned in and stopped understeering.

Very cool.
From what I hear, the Saab Aero Academy praises the esp/tcs/abs in the classes. Maybe someone that has been there can expand on this.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
DanS said:
Yes, esp, abs, tcs are all the same button. Essentially they are all the same mechanism anyway (with the addition of a couple sensors).
Although the ESP/TCS uses the ABS sensors, hitting this button will not disable the ABS.

In the pre-2008 models hitting the button would turn the ESP/TCS off at speeds below 35mph, but above that threshold ESP/TCS still intervenes regardless of whether the system is on/off. ESP will also always be active during braking.

The level to which these systems actually turn "off" varies across manufacturers - I know on BMW's pressing the switch "partially" disables the system, but if you press and hold the button for 10 seconds it will actually switch it off. On some Mercs on the other hand the ESP system cannot be turned fully off.

I suspect the 2008 model's operation is exactly the same as the earlier cars - if not, what's the point in having a button on the dash that actually does nothing?

·
Registered
91 Posts
On my mother's 2008 9-3 there is no ESP button on the dash. It has been replaced by the Sport Shift button! To turn off/on ESP go into the menu in SID using the controls on the steering where and you will see ESP after scrolling around a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts