SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
should have been redesigned. Big mistake. I am not going to wait until 2011 for the interior to done up to current class standards. The new Malibu interior blows it away. Maybe Lutz is trying to kill SAAB slowly.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I too like the simple functionality of the '07/'08 interior.

I contrast it with, say, the '08 Honda Accord. Honda has totally overstyled their dash. I can't stand it.

A lot of the makes seem to be in a race to see who can have the biggest climate control knobs. I can't stand that trend.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I still marvel at the elegant simplicity of the 2007 dash and interior. I don't feel the need for more glitz and glamour and bling.
I do remember older Saabs with a little more polish then present models, but the price is kept competitive and it certainly isn't an interior I consider cheap. I have plenty of room in the Saab in either driver's or passenger side and feel very comfortable.

·
Registered
588 Posts
monsaab said:
I still marvel at the elegant simplicity of the 2007 dash and interior. I don't feel the need for more glitz and glamour and bling.
I do remember older Saabs with a little more polish then present models, but the price is kept competitive and it certainly isn't an interior I consider cheap. I have plenty of room in the Saab in either driver's or passenger side and feel very comfortable.
Take it from someone who just bought an 07 - the controls are VERY impressive. Yes, it's the standard GM radio. So what, it works.

And the HVAC is so easy to use. As of right now, I can't complain. Hopefully I'll feel the same way in a few months/years.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Malibus may superficially be impressive, but take my word for it...Malibus really really really suck. The wife has a Malibu for a company car and its really cheap where it counts, brakes, struts, welds, steering components, etc. GM knows what vehicle cost is and what the profit margin is. They aren't using the Saab parts and giving away the Malibus. The Malibu is really a cheap rental car/business car/taxi that is made to go the minimum amount of miles and be resold.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Honestly, I don't know if I will be buying another Saab, and I just bought an 03 Vector.

Why?
Well, V6 is one of them, it doesnt remind me of Saab, and I am sure they could pull the same horsepower from the 2.0.

Interior hasnt changed, and the exterior looks like some other cars I see on the road, to an extent.

The XWD might make me change my mind depending on how it goes. All I know is my next car is awd or rwd, there really is no point in having any power if it's fwd.

·
Registered
110 Posts
DanS said:
Malibus may superficially be impressive, but take my word for it...Malibus really really really suck. The wife has a Malibu for a company car and its really cheap where it counts, brakes, struts, welds, steering components, etc. GM knows what vehicle cost is and what the profit margin is. They aren't using the Saab parts and giving away the Malibus. The Malibu is really a cheap rental car/business car/taxi that is made to go the minimum amount of miles and be resold.
Have you seen/driven the new 2008 model? Interior material quality and layout is beyond what Saab offers. For once, they have not cut corners and have produced a car that has been critically acclaimed by even those who normally slam domestic cars (and rightfully so in most cases).

Have a read -

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/reviews/chevrolet-malibu-review/
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/05/first-drive-2008-chevrolet-malibu/

G

·
I hate to admit but the 07/08 dash is pretty bland and boring. At least the 03-06 had lots of buttons and the SID on top of the dash to make it different from other cars. The current 9-3 dash looks more like a rental car than the new Malibu interior... :confused: The old Malibu interior was pretty cheap looking.

Instead of refreshing the exterior of the car, they should have spent the money on the interior. That's where you spend most of time anyways. I bet if GM slapped a night panel button on the Malibu dash, put the ignition in the center and stick the griffin on the steering wheel, everybody here would be oooohing and aaahing over the clean Swedish design.. Oh wait, leave the ignition out of the center console and put a decent cup holder there...

All right, you can start the flaming now ;) :cheesy:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Wulf said:
Instead of refreshing the exterior of the car, they should have spent the money on the interior. That's where you spend most of time anyways. I bet if GM slapped a night panel button on the Malibu dash, put the ignition in the center and stick the griffin on the steering wheel, everybody here would be oooohing and aaahing over the clean Swedish design..
Very well said!!!! Succinct and to the point.

Much as I like most aspects of my MY07 9³, I've been thinking up ways of 'polishing up' the look of the upper center console. By 'polishing up', I mean rip the whole thing off and replace it with a new, custom-made one. Now how's that for a mod? :p
I've been slaving over multiple drawings, photoshop renderings and all that, but it's to no avail I guess. It surely has been fun, but I'm not sure I can find the right shop to finalise such a project.

Anyways, lets hope that next time Saab will come up with a better, more inspiring interior.
Unless off course I do first :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Wulf said:
Instead of refreshing the exterior of the car, they should have spent the money on the interior. That's where you spend most of time anyways. I bet if GM slapped a night panel button on the Malibu dash, put the ignition in the center and stick the griffin on the steering wheel, everybody here would be oooohing and aaahing over the clean Swedish design.. Oh wait, leave the ignition out of the center console and put a decent cup holder there...
Nah, they would be complaining that the SID had not been put back on the top of the dash.

·
Registered
124 Posts
New Malibu is worlds better than earlier versions. Just named to Car and Driver 10 best. It is the last new model that will be released off Epsilon I. I still prefer the Saab, but in all but the most basic model the new Malibu is a very impressive car inside and out, especially for the price. In fact, I believe Motor Trend just commented that they prefer the Malibu to the all-new Accord.

I think you will not see anything different with the 9-3's interior until the Epsilon II model is released several years from now.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Orlandoaero said:
In fact, I believe Motor Trend just commented that they prefer the Malibu to the all-new Accord.

Is this like the part in The Velveteen Rabbit where the kid starts getting sick and has delusions?

Is that happening to me right now? Did you just say that? Is it true? What dimension is this, anyway?

·
Registered
569 Posts
The beauty of the 9-3 interior is in its simplicity and ergonomy. Functionality is more important than form. SAAB was never made for people who want their dashboard to look like a pinball machine. :lol:

Unfortunately, the more GM promotes SAAB in the mass market, the more they are likely to attract comments from people who don't "get it". My fear is that these people will find their way into focus groups, and their comments may eventually influence design. Heck, they are probably responsible for moving the window switches to the doors, getting rid of the coupe, making the back end look more and more like a Beemer/Audi... and every other "innovation" that makes SAAB a little bit less "SAAB".

People who would buy a SAAB "if only it were more like a Malibu" (or Acura, or Audi, or whatever) remind me of poeple who decide they want to live in the country, and then go shopping for a condo near a shopping mall. :evil:

That being said, the Malibu is indeed a great-looking car (I like the side profile), and I wish GM and the North Amercian auto industry a speedy recovery. Really, our standard of living depends in large part on that happening. I used to be an American-car-only kinda guy (Mustang, Jimmy, Cutlass, Century), but that was before I drove a SAAB. Now I am a performance snaab... :cheesy:

·
Registered
124 Posts
bwik said:
Is this like the part in The Velveteen Rabbit where the kid starts getting sick and has delusions?

Is that happening to me right now? Did you just say that? Is it true? What dimension is this, anyway?
It is true. In the COTY testing (won by the CTS, another world class effort from GM), the Malibu scored higher than the Accord, and there were some extremely positive comments on the all new Malibu while some not so positive comments on the all new Accord.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
My wife's Malibu could have a Mercedes interior and it wouldn't help the steering, suspension and brake problems. Her car still won't go down the road straight. The Malibu has failed to start for her several times and it has electronic glitches.

The new interior design on the Malibu is just that...same plastics in different shapes that will soon be same old, same old. Go ahead and slather the praise on the new interior of the Malibu and then tell me about the suspension, brakes, steering and engine.

Comparing the underpinnings of the Saab to the Malibu show where GM saves its money. There are so many pennies in a dollar and I'm sure the Malibu isn't made from corinthian leather, cnc'd aluminum billets, hydeu, brazilian walnut or any other top grade materials. Plastic is plastic. Fancy interiors don't make a car run any better.

Upgraded brakes, tires, suspension, engine, cv joints, body welds and steering components have a high cost.

A Malibu is designed to be a rental car, business car, etc. GM plans on selling in high volume and will be on the road by the gozillions.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The Swedish Bullet said:
The beauty of the 9-3 interior is in its simplicity and ergonomy. Functionality is more important than form. SAAB was never made for people who want their dashboard to look like a pinball machine. :lol:
Have you driven an '08? I spent time in an '08 Aero this week and there is chrome/shiny plastic all over the dash. It was very distracting. I much prefer the understated dash in my '06 Aero. That being said it was fun to drive :lol:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Love my 06 DASH

Thought Id chime in as I was in the dealer a few weeks ago and was talking with Jeff a sales guy at my local dealer. He too has an 06 and we had a good chat about how the 06s dash, radio, etc is much better and more "SAABLIKE" than the new models. I love my SAAB and dont exactly like the way the newer SAABS are going, but thats why I plan on keeping mine for many, many, many more years to come!

They are far superior to the Malibu though!!

Drew

·
Registered
759 Posts
Orlandoaero said:
Originally Posted by Orlandoaero
In fact, I believe Motor Trend just commented that they prefer the Malibu to the all-new Accord.

bwik said:

Man have you SEEN the new Accord? EeeGawd!! It is so ugly it's unbelieveable. Someone beat the designers with the ugly stick! Honda should be embarassed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Personally, I really like the current interior of my saab and frankly cannot see how one could even compare the interior of the 9-3 to that of the malibu. In my opinion, the two cars aim for two completely different goals.
It is pretty clear that Saab is not interested in creating the 'ultra luxurious' or even 'ultra sporty' car (the new turbo x boasts only 280 hp). They could if they wanted, put out say a great powerful sedan like the new m3 or s4 (say even rs4) but they don't. They also could design an interior that defined luxury but again they don't. Granted, Saab is not an independent company so they do not always have the final say I do not think on what is actually produced but they do strive to put out designs that really capture an honest, clean, efficient and I would say even elegent simplicity. The current interior of the 9-3 fits the overall design of the car but also the design philosophy of Saab. The interior of the Malibu placed in the body of the 9-3 would simply look terrible - two completely different ideas competing.

Now the new malibu is great for what it is - a relatively affordable car with a more luxurious feel. And many reviews are great but one needs to look at the car objectively. The interior is great for the price. I would not call the new interior really that luxurious or great by an extent of the imagination but for the price, its not bad. In terms of luxury, I am a big fan of the audi a6 and a8 - I think they were very successful in creating two very 'luxurious', well-designed interiors but again both those cars are quite a bit more expensive than the new malibu...You could even look at say the maybach - its quite nice :) but also very expensive

So to me, the malibu tries to be the car that gives almost free luxury but I don't think its really all that possible - luxury is expensive. Its for people who want that feel of luxury and that feel of 'wow' without the cost. But that luxury is fairly poor and bland with respect to other interiors. It tries to be something it cannot for the price it is sold for - you cannot create a great luxurious interior on a small budget.

To me, Saab and the 9-3 interior is just plain honest. It doesn't give a false sense of luxury and it does not give a false sense of being ultra sporty. It does not give what it knows it cannot for the price. It is simple, works well and in certain regards keeps certain saab qualities. Sure there are things I would perhaps slightly improve or change but overall I think saab really was successful.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts