SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Guys

I really want a Hirsch grill for my new turbo x sc but cant seem to find one at all, new or used. Has anyone ever seen copies or reproductions of them? I asked hirsch if they have one and they said they have a few for sale but at the cost of 925 shipped lol. Way to rich for my blood.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does look really good. Where did you get the honeycomb from and what are the specs on your wheels. Fittment is perfect. Thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, that's a really great grill look, swedespeed7.

If I did that to mine, I wonder if there's enough room behind the honeycomb for me to hide some driving lights behind where the SAAB emblem was...

I love my 9-3, but in my opinion the exterior illumination needs some help...

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
Wow, that's a really great grill look, swedespeed7.

If I did that to mine, I wonder if there's enough room behind the honeycomb for me to hide some driving lights behind where the SAAB emblem was...

I love my 9-3, but in my opinion the exterior illumination needs some help...
Thanks! Plenty of room for driving lights, yes. You might also want to look into a lens upgrade for your headlights. Made a huge difference in light output for all the cars I've done it to.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks! Plenty of room for driving lights, yes. You might also want to look into a lens upgrade for your headlights. Made a huge difference in light output for all the cars I've done it to.
Can you elaborate as to what a "lens upgrade" is?? I have the standard aero projector HID lights..

thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
Can you elaborate as to what a "lens upgrade" is?? I have the standard aero projector HID lights..

thanks
Sure thing. Quote from my build thread:

-----------

OK so the TRS clear lenses are in. Really easy to open the headlights back up once you've done it once before! Again, butyl is your friend for resealing.

I will say that the stock lenses really aren't THAT diffuse. They aren't like the older 9-3 lenses that had fresnel circles etched into the lens. They have a ton of tiny little dimples all over the lens, which gives the effect of a "cloudy" or diffuse lens.

This picture captures those dimples pretty well on the stock lens:

However, the TRS lenses are clear. Very clear. Definitely a noticeable difference when looking at the lens.

TRS clear lens:

Stock lens (don't mind the fingerprint/moisture):

TRS clear lens:

Installation was easy. You could almost do this mod without taking the outer headlight cover off, but the shroud on the projector prevents the projector from being removed. So, after the outer cover has been removed, you can remove the shroud and back the projector out of the headlight.

The rest is pretty self-explanatory. Remove the circlip, bend the tabs back, remove the stock lens. The stock lenses have a notch in them for orientation, therefore the stock projector housing has a "bump-out" to accommodate this notch. This "bump-out" must be ground away to accommodate the new TRS lens, which does not have a notch (or orientation)

Here is a pic of where the projector "bump-out" must be ground away (I used a Dremel):

Picture of the projector parts:

Once the new lens is in, re-install the circlip, bend the tabs back in, and put everything back together. It's not dark here yet, but I'll take some pics of the cutoff, which is nice and crisp ;ol;

That's it! Hope that helps others doing headlight mods. I wouldn't take the headlight apart just to do the lens swap, I'd also paint the orange reflector and maybe even just do a projector swap altogether if you want.

OK so at night, these lenses are AMAZING. This might just be my most favorite mod I've ever done. Pictures don't do them justice at all, you really have to be riding in the car to experience them. I'm super happy with them. Plus they only cost $7.50 for the pair!!!

SO MUCH more light now on the road, and super sharp cutoff lines.

First pic has the shutter speed turned up to show the sharp lines. Kinda hard for the camera to capture the true brightness the headlights now emit.

Sorry I don't have before pictures at night, but you get the idea.

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
Hey swedespeed7 maybe I can get your expert advice I have a 08 9-3 aero xwd I got a set of Bbs wheels from my Vw the bolt pattern is 5x100 maybe you know where I can get adapters and hub rings to run them on my Saab or am I better off trying to get them redrillled?
Definitely hub adapters. Motorsport-tech.com

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I am not very handy. I need a lower grill for my 2011 Turbo 4 vert and the honeycomb looks like a nice and cheap fix. I think the previous owner may have put a non standard front lower spoiler on, does not look at all like my 2008 Aero SC (single lower bar not a whole grill).

I can cut that honeycomb to size, but stupid question, how do I attach it?

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
I am not very handy. I need a lower grill for my 2011 Turbo 4 vert and the honeycomb looks like a nice and cheap fix. I think the previous owner may have put a non standard front lower spoiler on, does not look at all like my 2008 Aero SC (single lower bar not a whole grill).

I can cut that honeycomb to size, but stupid question, how do I attach it?
You gotta be creative. Zip ties mostly with tiny drilled holes for the ties to pass through. Post a pic of your front end as it stands now, I'm curious as to what's on there. If yours is a Turbo4, then you would have the one-piece bumper design and it won't look like the Aero front bumper (2-piece design). There is no front lower spoiler on the Turbo4. PO probably added the factory accessory lip spoiler, which I love. Here's some pics from our 2008 SportCombi 2.0T (same bumper as your Turbo4):

P.S. - looking back I would have taken out the reinforcement insert for a cleaner look (which is actually what I did on my '09 2.0T). You can see the cut marks otherwise.

You can see here on my '09 that I removed the reinforcement section for a cleaner look, so the honeycomb is flush with the painted part of the bumper:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Thanks, on first glance mine looks like yours, I think. Will take pictures later

I figured it was zip ties and such. As long as it is hidden and effective is all that counts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have the original front lower grill from previous owner, this is definitely a replacement, the OEM has an integrated grill with the lower front lip.

And, yes, this one needs to be cleaned up or taken off and repainted when I do the honeycomb. Or do you think it will look ugly to have lower honeycomb and stock upper?

OOPs! Upon further review I see you did stock upper on red and replaced both on silver. Looks OK on the red with stock and honeycomb..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,237 Posts
I have the original front lower grill from previous owner, this is definitely a replacement, the OEM has an integrated grill with the lower front lip.

And, yes, this one needs to be cleaned up or taken off and repainted when I do the honeycomb. Or do you think it will look ugly to have lower honeycomb and stock upper?

OOPs! Upon further review I see you did stock upper on red and replaced both on silver. Looks OK on the red with stock and honeycomb..
OK here's the deal with your car. You have the 2.0T/Turbo4 front bumper. Previous owner cut out the middle bar (part of the bumper) and the vertical supports, just like I did. Only difference is they didn't put anything in that big gaping hole, presumably for perceived intercooler benefit (makes no difference with stock intercooler, or really any intercooler). He/she then installed factory front lip accessory spoiler, part number 32025844, seen in this picture (the white thing) (just like I did on both cars):

You can see the cut marks on your car (circled in green). Accessory spoiler in red:

You can't replace the lower grill on your car without replacing the entire front bumper. It's just the design of the bumper/grill on the 2.0T/Turbo4, 1-piece like I said earlier.

I would recommend doing custom honeycomb on the lower section. Keep the accessory spoiler on there (both my red and silver cars had it). I have 2 brand new sheets of the honeycomb that I used, let me know if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts