SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MY07 9-3 Sportwagon (Combi) which has just four small speakers. The sound is pretty poor so I want to do something to improve it.

As Saab don't offer any upgrade for my car and there is no wiring for additional speakers / amps I'm on my own really!

My choices are:
Upgrade dash speakers and fit a sub - only downside is losing a bit of boot space and having to run lots of wiring through the car (power and signal cables)

My preferred plan is to buy some 6.5" components, fitting the mids in doors and the tweeters in the dash in place of the standard speakers - problem: no wiring to the door, there is speaker wiring in the door itself but there is nothing connected to it going into the car at the door / car plug in the door jam (is it possible to get terminals to add to this plug as there are plenty of spare locations in the plug)

Any help will be most appreciated!

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Check the FAQ. There are many, many, MANY threads on stereo upgrades.

Unfortunately, you are in a bind with the 4-speaker system. There is no way to get bass out that system unless you upgrade to the 7-speaker 150W system. Saab's upgrade kit is VERY expensive. It would be far cheaper to run a new head unit and install new speakers where you like, but you give up the stock look, steering wheel controls, and lose some system sounds.

Some members here have been able to obtain the parts needed for the 150W upgrade separately at far lower cost. Buy an AMP1 of ebay, then a wiring harness from Saab, for example. You don't really need the stock Saab speakers, as they are junk.

The lowest system sold in the States is the 7-speaker system. So most of the threads you will read here involve upgrades to that system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the post ctrlz but the problem i have is that as i have a 07my car (totally different system to the pre-07my cars) i can't even upgrade to the 7 speaker system as saab have not produced an upgrade. so any reference to amp1 etc... is irrelevent, as are all the other posts on upgrading from 4 to 7 speakers! i would be quite happy to buy the saab upgrade to 7 speakers, but i don't have that option!

from what i gather the 7 speaker 07my cars have an amp in the rear end that runs all 7 speakers. i have checked and there is no pre-installed wiring in my car for this, there is no preinstalled wiring going to the doors and there is no pre-installed wiring in the centre speaker location. my car has 4 speakers that run directly from the head unit - now i "think" (as i have no real way of testing) that it gives out a full range output to the speakers as there is a fair bit of distortion if you play something "bassy" even at low volumes.

the main things i need help with are how to get a signal into the doors for door speakers or whether i should forget that and just upgrade the dash speakers and fit a sub in the boot?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Sorry, you are right. You need that amp in the rear, whatever they call it.
Probably have to wait until people start crashing their 2007's to pick up a used one.

I suspect Saab still employs crossovers such that there is no good bass signal to be had anywhere in the 4-speaker system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts