SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting to know what you guys think of the changes made to the 9-3 for 2008. SAAB claims that there were over 2000 changes made to the exterior. Of course, we all know that the changes are to the front of the A-pillar. Saw the sedan in black and was impressed, but wonder what the other (lighter) colors will look like with the high contrast chrome (painted?) parts on the grill. I've read people's opinions on both sides. I, for one, like the 07 look a tad more as of now, but I'm also one that is open to change (with only some resistance). Just wanting to hear what you all think....

·
Registered
759 Posts
There are definitely some changes....but as usual Saab will over-inflate them, just like back when they "upgraded" the 1998 900 to the 1999 9-3. They claimed 2000 changes back then too....but some of the things on the list of changes was ridiculous, like changing the available colors, or deleting ashtrays in favor of a storage cubby, or the number of radio presets. Things that have nothing to do with the car's performance or features that we care about.

Overall the interior is identical to the 2007 models. Most changes are likely mechanical and exterior cosmetic.

·
Registered
502 Posts
inyrmnd said:
Just wanting to know what you guys think of the changes made to the 9-3 for 2008. SAAB claims that there were over 2000 changes made to the exterior. Of course, we all know that the changes are to the front of the A-pillar. Saw the sedan in black and was impressed, but wonder what the other (lighter) colors will look like with the high contrast chrome (painted?) parts on the grill. I've read people's opinions on both sides. I, for one, like the 07 look a tad more as of now, but I'm also one that is open to change (with only some resistance). Just wanting to hear what you all think....
I've said before that I really dislike the front-end of the 9-3 for 2008. The grille looks out of place--especially the center of it. It appears as though it extends down too far close to the top edge of the bumper (and of course, the license plate). There really should be some sort of separation between the bumper and the grille. The headlights look too much like those on the BMW 5-series. The area below the bumper (i.e. the lower intake and the fog lights) looks like a mouth with a mustache over it, especially on cars that aren't painted black. I wouldn't say it's ugly, but I definitely don't like it.

The '07 design (and prior) is much more conservative and organized in appearance. It is pure class, not flashiness.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I saw the 08's yesterday for the first time in person. The convertible I don't like the tailights on it- Was an aero parked next to an 07 aero. The sedan was the pepper green 2.0t- I loved the color, but it has to grow on you. The price increases seem a little high, guess they are going to have to have some great incentives to move them. Personally I would get 07.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've read that the 08 9-3 S/S has a rain sensitive windshield wiper system. Auto up power windows.

The 08 front looks like Darth Vader's helmet. I'm glad I bought an 07.

·
Registered
759 Posts
monsaab said:
I've read that the 08 9-3 S/S has a rain sensitive windshield wiper system. Auto up power windows.

Yes it looks kind of like a Transformer. :roll:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2 more cents

For some reason the pics of the new 08 9-3 Combis make them look like hearses (in Blk.). I think it may be the lack of the side door guards. IMO, the guards provide another elegant line for the car. The 08 9-3 SS I looked at wasn't all that "aggressive" looking like everyone seems to think. I think it's definitely a car that may appeal to the younger generation (or young at heart).

·
Registered
437 Posts
monsaab said:

I'm glad I bought an 07 also. Saw the 08 at the dealers for the first time yesterday.
I do not like the body changes they hae made.
removal of door bump strips, lower front and rear bumper lips, hood creases, rear saab badge support. not cool.
I do like the door handles, but they are not classic saab.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Agreed!

platypus said:
removal of door bump strips, lower front and rear bumper lips, hood creases, rear saab badge support. not cool.
Yes. I, too, do not like the front hood creases. They remind me of our family wagon's front end creases when I was a kid. The 2007s are more smooth. The door bump strips will be sadly missed in my opinion (if anything, for pure functionality). I've compared both models and can't figure out why SAAB didn't just opt to match these to the vehicles color. To remove them entirely could give SAAB owners expenses on dings and scratches. Of course, if you don't mind that and would rather have a smoothed out profile, that's your perogative. I'm a bit of a traditionalist in this sense.

All in all, I'm sure the 2008 will please many a SAAB enthusiast. I could've done without these changes, as well. Especially irritating is the clamshell look without it's functionality. I would've held out for the MY08s if they were front hinged. Oh well,....just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
588 Posts
naples007 said:
The door handles are so Chevy Malibu....urgh.
And why on earth would this stop anyone from buying a car? I mean come on, really people?!?! I'd be more concerned that about the cheap turn signal lever Saab uses. Or the (still) lack of bluetooth.

I'm not trying to defend the 08s, but people need to allow improvement - even if it breaks tradition.

Finally, I did check out the 08s as I am contemplating one vs. an MY07. I was a little concerned about the "chrome" on the front grill. It's pretty much painted plastic. Anyone else touch/see this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 06 9-3/2.0t is coming off lease in December, just trying to decide what to replace it with. I like the new pepper green color- with parchment interior, but door handles looked cheap, but overall I like the "minor changes"

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
joemama said:
Finally, I did check out the 08s as I am contemplating one vs. an MY07. I was a little concerned about the "chrome" on the front grill. It's pretty much painted plastic. Anyone else touch/see this?
Yes! I stopped by Saab of Santa Monica today to see if they had any '08s yet. They had a few. Three in black and one in that green color (pepper green?). I though the front "chrome" was nothing but chintzy painted plastic. Same with the rear silver strip - very cheap looking and feeling. Overall, I wasn't very impressed. I thought the front looked quite a bit overdone/overwraught. The funny thing is, I liked the taillights more than I thought I would, and the front less than I thought I would. Guess I'll hang on to the '03 until the Epsilon II 9-3 comes out...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts