SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got bored and did this in about 2 hours, also converted to the newer style acc unit, in the process of trying to get the gauge cluster to play nicely with the acc unit, not much succes though. most be a voltage difference between the 2007+ and older systems. the acc backlight flashes with the newer cluster in and married, tech 2 shows voltage increase and drops that coincide with the flicker as if someone is changing the dimmer settings.
I also am using the newer headunit for now. and i did anniversary interior swap at the same time.
[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/tour96se1/media/IMAG1432_zpsygqdz8zz.jpg.html]
[/URL]

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/tour96se1/media/IMAG1430_zps80muzaqz.jpg.html]
[/URL]

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/tour96se1/media/IMAG1429_zpss3wnqkwe.jpg.html]
[/URL]

·
Super Moderator
19,054 Posts
Wow, nice job.

·
Registered
531 Posts
UnREAL! I always thought this could be done. Please outline the procedure - especially the difficulties... What about MOST / fibre?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'll make a full pinout when i know for sure if i can/cant get the sid control panel and cluster from the 2007 to work with my car. as of now i can't. I have the pinout for the acc swap, thats pretty simple really.
its a lot of WIS reading and searching right now, what a horrible layout on that program, its maddening. :evil:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tell me tell me tell me tell me tell me!!!

100 internet cookies for you if you do.

And a lighter wallet for me if you do.

But....tell me tell me tell me tell me tell me!!!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is it you want me to tell you? haha
the dash itself is nearly a direct swap, you will need to drill two new mounting holes above the cup holder. The center stack on the dash was changed, really, it was all shifted down to make space for the gm sized stereo. So two of the four mounting points are different then the 03-07, but thats a 20 second fix with a drill. You'll need the center vent, sid control panel(dimmer switch in the 07+ really), cupholder trim, and upper gauge/stereo shroud. The side vents,ashtray/or cubby pocket,glove box, and climate control unit(i'll get to that) are interchangeable. The cc unit from the 03-06 doesn't fit 100%, the mcc can be pushed in and will fit fine, the acc unit has led display that doesn't like to be squeezed :nono; , ideally you need to trim a little off the sides of the cc units face plate, or if you have acc you can convert to the 07+ with just a simple repinning of the 03-06 harness. Sorry mcc guys, trimming the face plate is the best advice i can give you, and in all honesty, it allows you to use the 07+ gauge cluster, which is a bonus because 1) it looks better 2) you retain your SID info.
As far as head unit, that's your choice, i had already wired in a 4 channel amp when i was using the old icm2, so this allowed me to use the factory head unit with just using power and ground wires from the old icm harness and running my own speaker wire to a line out converter to the amp and speakers. Or you could run audio cords to the amp if you are planning on a aftermarket headunit.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We looked into it bc I was going to switch to mcc. Most of the components besides the blower motor are different

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well done!

Lot's of forums say you cannot do this, especially the dash. Myself I am in the process of swapping all the old grey interior to black interior.

·
Super Moderator
2,875 Posts
I've never married a facelift cluster to an older 9-3, but there are some serious BUS differences electrically and communication wise. The I BUS is most likely going to have none of this without a full replacement of nearly all modules on P and I BUS with security access and VIN continuity. Looks cool though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Excellent job, I am in the process of swapping the newest acc unit in my 06 Saab.
Is it only repining you need? Will it work without flashing LEDs and stuff?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts