SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase the Alpine EX-10 iPod/Bluetooth adapter when it comes out next week. Basically, its a unit that sits on top of your dash, and connects to your iPod's dock connector, and has an output to the Aux-In on the 2007's head unit, and is powered by a cigarette power adapter. Is there any way to mount this unit on the dash about the head unit, store the iPod out of sight in the glove compartment, and power the unit from the center console, all with minimal wires visible? I don't mind powering the unit from the dashboard power if the wire doesn't have to hang from the top of the dash downwards. Is there a way to have the wires go from behind a dash mounted unit, along the windshield, into the glove compartment, and just plain out of sight?

Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can I ask what the point of this unit is? It's basically just another interface for an iPod which already has a much better UI in my opinion...plus it's one more piece of equipment to have to mount/hide/etc. Wouldn't it be better to mount the iPod directly and control from there?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still looking for a true iPod interface like I had in my Audi, but nothing beats the iPod touch UI, even if it's just connected via a line out cable to the radio.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
sm0kescreen said:
Can I ask what the point of this unit is? It's basically just another interface for an iPod which already has a much better UI in my opinion...plus it's one more piece of equipment to have to mount/hide/etc. Wouldn't it be better to mount the iPod directly and control from there?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still looking for a true iPod interface like I had in my Audi, but nothing beats the iPod touch UI, even if it's just connected via a line out cable to the radio.
I drive a manual and it is nearly impossible for me to concentrate on driving and navigate my iPod at the same time. If I can see what is playing, switch playlists, forward, rewind, and have my iPod video charging all at the same time, with the added benefit of having line-out from the iPod's dock connector, then that solution is far better than having my iPod connected via the headphone jack. I must admit that the headphone jack sounds great on my Saab, but I am used to having the iPod connected via line out in my former Jetta. Unfortunately, the Saab only offers an auxiliary 3.5mm input rather than a direct line-in so this Alpine can fill that hole and allow me to control the iPod via the remote with a clean signal over line out. Not to mention bluetooth...

So, how do I hook this up without a mess of wires? Anyone?

G

·
FLA_SAAB_ DRIVER said:
pioneer avic d3, all i have to say ;-)
How does this information help ahsan? When you post, please have something helpful to say and not blurt something out..

Back to the subject..
I tried to figure out something similar myself with a TomTom nav unit. I couldn't find any good place to mount it though and ended up putting it in the little console space in front of the shifter. Of course it's difficult to see the display so not much of a solution either. On thing I thought about was to sacrifice the dash cupholder and make something to attach the TT to but never got around to trying that. Maybe it's possible to route the cable though the dash opening of the cup holder and hardwire it.

Someone else mounted a nav unit next to the rear view mirror which seems pretty clean as well. Of course you would have to get longer cables but putting them out of sight isn't that difficult.

There probably isn't one single perfect solution so it's best to put it in a few places and see what works best.

That iPod adapter looks like a great product, I was looking at it myself last week. I am also still trying to find the best iPod solution without spending a lot of money. I really would like having a display that's at eye level but don't really want to have anything on top of the dash.

Please share your experience with the unit when you get it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wulf said:
How does this information help ahsan? When you post, please have something helpful to say and not blurt something out..

Back to the subject..
I tried to figure out something similar myself with a TomTom nav unit. I couldn't find any good place to mount it though and ended up putting it in the little console space in front of the shifter. Of course it's difficult to see the display so not much of a solution either. On thing I thought about was to sacrifice the dash cupholder and make something to attach the TT to but never got around to trying that. Maybe it's possible to route the cable though the dash opening of the cup holder and hardwire it.

Someone else mounted a nav unit next to the rear view mirror which seems pretty clean as well. Of course you would have to get longer cables but putting them out of sight isn't that difficult.

There probably isn't one single perfect solution so it's best to put it in a few places and see what works best.

That iPod adapter looks like a great product, I was looking at it myself last week. I am also still trying to find the best iPod solution without spending a lot of money. I really would like having a display that's at eye level but don't really want to have anything on top of the dash.

Please share your experience with the unit when you get it.
Thanks for your advice Wulf. I am definitely getting this unit as I did not want to have to replace the head unit. I wish the aux in was still in the center console like in the 2006's but oh well. I will play around with it and keep the forum posted.

G

·
The remote seems nice, maybe better and easier to use than the semi-rotating controls that try to mimic the iPod controls you find on other units.

Too bad they couldn't make it with a fully rotating thumb wheel like you find on Blackberrys. Now that would be easy for scrolling through playlists and songs..

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm sorry, I still don't see the advantage of this over just using the iPod. Either way you have to look at and interact with a device to change music, and this just seems to add a layer of complexity to a pretty clean system. But, everyone has different requirements...in any case, good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sm0kescreen said:
I'm sorry, I still don't see the advantage of this over just using the iPod. Either way you have to look at and interact with a device to change music, and this just seems to add a layer of complexity to a pretty clean system. But, everyone has different requirements...in any case, good luck!
Advantages, listed in order of importance (IMHO):

1. Direct line-out out of iPod thus avoiding the headphone jack's internal amplifier and having a pure signal sent to the Saab's amplifier. It is always better to avoid the headphone jack's amplifier if possible, and this solution makes it possible.

2. Being able to see exactly what's playing without struggling. I guess this is not an issue with the iPhone or Touch.

3. Being able to easily navigate the menus. Again, this may not be an issue with the iPhone or Touch.

I am far from a hardcore audiophile, but I am anal about having the best sound I can get into my car's headunit, and that means avoiding the headphone jack on the iPod. I'm spoiled from having the ability to connect my iPod into the CD changer port via line-out (dock connector) in my Jetta, and so I'd like to have the same capability in my new Saab.

G

·
There is a charger from B_e_l_k_i_n that has a line output on the charger itself so you get the sound output through the dock connector. It also has a volume control to boost the output a bit.

I used this in my 9-3 with a holder from Proclip and it was actually a pretty clean setup without any wires (I had the 2006 where I could put all the wires and charger in the center console). The nice thing about this position is that you could leave your arm on the armrest when navigating the iPod. It would be perfect if there was an external iPod display that you can mount high on the dash and still be able to use the iPod click wheel.

Proclip also makes a clip for the air vent so the iPod will be high up on the dash. One of these clips can also be used to mount that Alpine unit.

More info and pictures here:
http://www.wulfers.net/auto/mods/ipod/index.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. Very interesting. I was aware of the belkin line-out adapter. Does it come in black? However, I was not aware of the clip. This would be similar to my setup in my Jetta. Thanks, this could be a possibility.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wulf said:
Yes, it does.

Yep, I just bought one last week. Actually, I got the Monster Cable version because while it is also tapping the iPod's line out, it is not being amplified (the Belkin has an inline amplifier, which I've read several reports about causing problems with interference).

I'm interested in that Pro-clip setup...where did you get it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wulf said:
Yes, it does.
Thanks man. How did you get the power adapter from the iPod into the center console. Is it possible to get into the console without going through the top?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sm0kescreen said:
Yep, I just bought one last week. Actually, I got the Monster Cable version because while it is also tapping the iPod's line out, it is not being amplified (the Bin has an inline amplifier, which I've read several reports about causing problems with interference).

Have you had any issues with the adapter staying in the cigarette lighter? I had purchased the XtremeMac power adapter and it just does NOT want ot stay in, and charges for maybe 2 seconds before losing connection (at the cigarette light adapter). I am wondering if this is a concern for all different types of cigarette adapters. The XtremeMac adapter did work in my wife's Mazda and my coworker's BMW. It did not work in either my 2007 Saab 93 Aero nor my other coworker's 2006.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ahsan said:
Have you had any issues with the adapter staying in the cigarette lighter? I had purchased the XtremeMac power adapter and it just does NOT want ot stay in, and charges for maybe 2 seconds before losing connection (at the cigarette light adapter). I am wondering if this is a concern for all different types of cigarette adapters. The XtremeMac adapter did work in my wife's Mazda and my coworker's BMW. It did not work in either my 2007 Saab 93 Aero nor my other coworker's 2006.
Nope, the one I have stays in just fine. This is what I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Ultra-Low-iCharger-AICHG2-IP/dp/B00015GYTU/ref=sr_1_10/103-9568914-5835840?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1194639213&sr=1-10

·
Registered
588 Posts
FLA_SAAB_ DRIVER said:
pioneer avic d3, all i have to say ;-)
Yeah FLA - we know, we know. But you are still trying to get it to work, correct? How far off are you from finishing.

You, my friend, are the pioneer on this.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I use the Griffin Tuneflex in my 06 SportCombi. It comes in black, utilizes the line-out and charges the unit. It has been flawless, i routed the 1/8" wire through the centre console to the aux-in. This may be a great solution for a 2007 as the aux-in is easy to wire to on dash, and would be fairly discrete.

·
Registered
588 Posts
ahsan said:
Interesting. Very interesting. I was aware of the bin line-out adapter. Does it come in black? However, I was not aware of the clip. This would be similar to my setup in my Jetta. Thanks, this could be a possibility.
I'm looking to do the same thing. It doesn't list the Nano Video as compatible. Shouldn't it be though? Same dock.

Also, couldn't find the Monster one. Is it wired or am FM transmitterAnyone else have a link to that?

G

·
sm0kescreen said:
I ordered from www.proclipusa.com

ahsan said:
Thanks man. How did you get the power adapter from the iPod into the center console. Is it possible to get into the console without going through the top?
The side panel on the passenger and some trim of the smart slot can be removed and you can get access to the center console. There is piece of rubber inside the console which can be taken out (I think it's a coin holder) and I routed the cable through there. At least this was in the 03-06, not sure if that was changed for 2007 and up when they removed the aux-in. Is there still a charger in the center console?

Here is another setup with the Proclip iPod holder and Saab phone mount. The grey charger cable would have been nice for my grey interior but at least you can see how little of the cable is showing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts