SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my SportCombi about a couple weeks ago and this morning received the Time for Service message. Is this simply a scheduled message or does it actually mean something? I'm wondering why it would show up so early. I haven't had a chance to read the manual yet as I'm at work.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
The car was made over a year ago if that's the case. The same thing happened to me however my "Time for Service" was on the day I bought it.
I drove about 4,000 miles then had the service done. You'll need service every 12 months or ~10,000 miles.

If you can wait a few thousand miles you'll be better off than going in now. Keep in mind you get the free service for 3 years OR 36 months. So, if you go in now your service will end at 31,000 miles. Wait until say 4,000 miles and your last service is at 34,000 miles or so--getting a bit more out the free service.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cosmicflash said:
The car was made over a year ago if that's the case. The same thing happened to me however my "Time for Service" was on the day I bought it.
I drove about 4,000 miles then had the service done. You'll need service every 12 months or ~10,000 miles.

If you can wait a few thousand miles you'll be better off than going in now. Keep in mind you get the free service for 3 years OR 36 months. So, if you go in now your service will end at 31,000 miles. Wait until say 4,000 miles and your last service is at 34,000 miles or so--getting a bit more out the free service.
Thanks. I just called service and he simply stated to go ahead and reset it. I didn't figure that the car might have been built a year ago, but that makes sense.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Holy crap, I didn't even see this thread when I posted mine this morning...basically the exact same thing happened to me today, and at almost exactly the same mileage! (1067!) What are the odds???

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I think This is the Third thread on this in as many days, you don't have to get service right away, just have the SID reset...

Yes this does happen on occaison, just have your dealer reset it and go in for your first Intermediate Service at 10K on the odometer. They'll reset it again then and all will be Hunky Dory.

Main Services are based on actual mileage, Intermediate services use the Algorithm.

Excerpt from Saab TSB:

INTERMEDIATE SERVICE is set by an algorithm that determines when service is required. Miles driven, crankshaft revolutions, number of starts/cold starts, ambient temperatures, speed and engine temperature are among the measurements used to compute the interval with the TIME FOR SERVICE message being set between 8,000 and a maximum of 15,000 miles. If the mileage interval is not met, the message will be set at 2 years.

NOTE: The actual oil condition is NOT measured, only the above calculations performed.

SOURCE; http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/

There has been a past issue with the TFS message in the SID, see the link.

·
Registered
250 Posts
ahsan said:
I just purchased my SportCombi about a couple weeks ago and this morning received the Time for Service message. Is this simply a scheduled message or does it actually mean something? I'm wondering why it would show up so early. I haven't had a chance to read the manual yet as I'm at work.
Just wondering, did you buy one of those two beautiful '07 Aero SCs I saw at International Motors repair facility in Sterling? I was drooling over those when I had my car in for service a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Investor74 said:
Just wondering, did you buy one of those two beautiful '07 Aero SCs I saw at International Motors repair facility in Sterling? I was drooling over those when I had my car in for service a couple of weeks ago.
You know...I JUST found out about the Dulles repair facility yesterday on the International Saab website. I purchased it in Falls Church. Now I'm even more excited as I live in Sterilng. I am surprised the dealer didn't mention the Dulles facility. I haven't had to take my SC in yet for service, so either of those weren't mine. But yeah, its a beautiful car, especially in black. My first black car, hope I can keep it looking great!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sm0kescreen said:
Holy crap, I didn't even see this thread when I posted mine this morning...basically the exact same thing happened to me today, and at almost exactly the same mileage! (1067!) What are the odds???
LOL! 2-for-2 so far!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JonV said:
I think This is the Third thread on this in as many days, you don't have to get service right away, just have the SID reset...

Yes this does happen on occaison, just have your dealer reset it and go in for your first Intermediate Service at 10K on the odometer. They'll reset it again then and all will be Hunky Dory.

Main Services are based on actual mileage, Intermediate services use the Algorithm.
Thanks. I ended up resetting the SID Service schedule myself. Before I set it, it was saying "INTERMEDIATE SERVICE". Now it is saying "MAIN SERVICE". Are you saying the 10k service is Intermediate, but when I go in for it, my SID will at that point be reset to actually be on schedule again?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
ahsan said:
Thanks. I just called service and he simply stated to go ahead and reset it. I didn't figure that the car might have been built a year ago, but that makes sense.
Ooooh...you don't want to reset it or you'll only get 3 services vs. 4.
I meant drive for a few thousand miles (with the wrench on unfortunately) and then go in for your service. It's a good idea to get some of that break-in oil out the crankcase before 10,000 miles.

The dealer was wrong in saying to reset it:x

EDIT:

I just saw your above post--looks like you're too late but you could try. As it is now you'll be going about 11,000 miles on the first oil change.
If you're leasing no big deal...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cosmicflash said:
Ooooh...you don't want to reset it or you'll only get 3 services vs. 4.
I meant drive for a few thousand miles (with the wrench on unfortunately) and then go in for your service. It's a good idea to get some of that break-in oil out the crankcase before 10,000 miles.

The dealer was wrong in saying to reset it:x

EDIT:

I just saw your above post--looks like you're too late but you could try. As it is now you'll be going about 11,000 miles on the first oil change.
If you're leasing no big deal...
Darn wish I had known. Are you saying Saab's 3yr 36k maintenance schedule is tied to your SID? I thought I could take it in as necessary within reason (i.e. 3 or 4 times within 36k miles). Will Saab not accept my car in for service unless the SID's (arbitrary, as noted in this thread) algorithm shows that its time for maintenance? Wack.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My Time For Serivce came on at 6,300 ish miles. Here were the responses I got:

Dealer 1) We'll reset the SID
Dealer 2) We'll change the oil, but tire rotations are NOT free
Dealer 3) Oil change + tire rotation .. no questions asked.

Service is now at 76%

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
ahsan said:
Darn wish I had known. Are you saying Saab's 3yr 36k maintenance schedule is tied to your SID? I thought I could take it in as necessary within reason (i.e. 3 or 4 times within 36k miles). Will Saab not accept my car in for service unless the SID's (arbitrary, as noted in this thread) algorithm shows that its time for maintenance? Wack.
Exactly. They are only tied to the SID.

Since this just happened perhaps you could call the dealer back and speak the person who told you to reset it. Tell them you would like your "Intermediate Service" as you now realize that it is based on time (1 year) and mileage(10,000) miles. Your 3 yr./36k free service is for service every year and/or 10,000 miles.
As I mentioned above you could get your first change say in a few thousand miles and then 3 more within 3 years or 36,000 miles.

I know this a little confusing but not as bad as the 03'-05' MY:eek:

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Ahsan,

Did you contact your dealer again and request an "intermediate service".

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just did 10K service

tozion said:
My Time For Serivce came on at 6,300 ish miles. Here were the responses I got:

Dealer 1) We'll reset the SID
Dealer 2) We'll change the oil, but tire rotations are NOT free
Dealer 3) Oil change + tire rotation .. no questions asked.

Service is now at 76%
Immediately after given the paperwork on my first (10K) warrantied service and voluntary computer recall service for my MY 07 9-3 SC, I checked my SID under settings and noted that it said 59% oil quality. When I got home, they said that it should be more in the 80-90% range, but definitely not 59%. Well, I happen to agree since the algorithm is based on many factors. So, should I reset it myself or have them do it. And, what should it really read after your Intermediate services. This whole thing is a little confusing. Why can't we just take these suckers in 3 times in the 36,000 mile period? We really shouldn't be that dependent on the computers either. Look what happens when your computer crashes, right?

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I know I can't reset unless it reads under 10% Oil Life, More than that and it's Tech II. Although later models may vary.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A little update

I wasn't completely satisfied with having my SC sit at 59% to intermittent service immediately after I got my 10K service done yesterday, so I returned last night and the manager I'd been working with said it was due to the order in which they did the voluntary recall (to the computer, no less). Makes sense, but now my SID only reads 67%. Has anybody else had a similar issue. Shouldn't it reset closer to 100%? I was told it will never reset to 100%, but 67% seems low.

·
Registered
402 Posts
TSB 100-2666 was issued in April,2007 for all 2007 9-3 and subsequent models.

This is it,in total;
"The service indication has been changed from and including M07. A percentage value is shown on the car's display which is calculated based on the service life of the oil,as well as driving distance and the number of days to the next service. It is normal for the percentage value in the SID to be lower than 100(sometimes considerably lower)after servicing has been carried out and the sevice indication reset. The 100 % value will only be displayed when "Main and Intermediate sevice" has been indicated in SID and reset."

When my first Intermediate Service(oil change) was done and SID reset,it said "66% to Main".Only thing dealer could figure was that as car was built in Feb and service was done in Oct,that means 16 of 24 months max for Main Service remained.......but this would be further reduced depending on mileage as max before Main of 20K miles likely to be reached long before 24 months.

I've put on 2400 miles in 2 months since Int Service and SID has gone from 66% to 59%. Based on dealer's interpretation,I'll be at 0% due to mileage impact on SID calculation before time side of program kicks in at my current pace.

Not sure whether this has made things clearer or not. My dealer is still waiting for full explanation of just what the new program is in fact doing from Saab engineers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Still up in the air

I'm still dreadfully confused. Although, it's nobody's fault. I'm beginning to understand that the algorithm for SAABs service indicators are very complex. I'll just live with it for now. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just bought my 07 9-3 2.0T Sport Sedan this weekend. Brand New, only had 64 miles on it at time of purchase. At about 250miles the time for service light came on. I usually just hit the clear button to get it off the SID, but it comes on not everytime, but most of the time after i warm it up and let the car idle down.

My relatives own the dealership I bought it from and they said to not worry about it, but will this affect my warranty if something were to happen to it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts