SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2007 Saab 9-5 2.3t. The check engine light came on after a fast acceleration. I took it to an O'Reilly Auto Parts store to do a free check engine light test. They got a P1181 code. Their scanner didn't have any info on it but they looked it up online and said that the part that is bad is the crank case ventilation hose. Before purchasing that to replace it, I decided to check on some forums...It sounds like that code could have all sorts of meanings. Is the crank case ventilation hose a very likely possibility? What other things should I check, or is this something that I just need to take it to a Saab mechanic to really figure out? I have very basic mechanic skills but a hose seems easy enough to fix myself.

One other detail.... My wife had filled up the car with 85 octane which I know is not good for that car.:nono; Could that have anything to do with it in connection with the acceleration?

·
Registered
560 Posts
The P1181 is "Long Term Fuel Trim; Max Value, A/F too lean" and means that you have un-metered air coming in from somewhere to the intake. Besides the PCV system, you should check the few other vacuum lines and the possibly the brake booster.

If you say this happened after a "hard acceleration" then you might've just popped a vacuum hose loose while under boost pressure.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
One of those parts places is fine to get your ODB-II codes, and you definitely want to know what they are.

But for interpretation of the codes, and the likeliest fixes, ask here. ;ol;

·
Registered
401 Posts
yep I had that.

the pipe popped off but the real culprit was a bad o ring that seals the air pipe on the top of the throttle body and the large clip was not properly tight to hold it on.
But that was not the end of it I also had bad lower o ring that acts as gasket between throttle body and intake manifold (it was hard and leaking air and oil).

Both O rings were a few $/£ and were easy to replace. Great performance now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts