SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked the Maxi fuses under the hood (#'s 35 & 36) and they are good. Checked every fuse I could find and they were good. I changed out the coolant temp switch as well as put in a new cooling fan relay module with resistors in it (the one mounted directly to the fan shroud at top. Car runs fine till it gets to temp. if its driving around and you stop, it will get warm fast and the ac quits blowing cold (I assume due to high pressure). I am at a loss.. Hopefully someone cn lead me in a new direction... Without proper schematics, I am lost as to where to look next. Please help.. Not really wanting to take the car to a dealer and get worked over.. But, the future looks grimm...

·
Super Moderator
20,202 Posts
Are they getting voltage?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I had to troubleshoot a similar problem(Z19DTH engine) but most of the logic is the same in the end all control comes from the ECU with the feedback from sensors.
Initially I swapped the double fan relay thinking it would be a quick fix to solve the problem but it was exactly the same.
The fans can be activated and tested with Tech2 and then you need to troubleshoot the fault codes through the WIS from there.
With the fault code I was able to check the wiring for continuity and voltage at the 706a relay connector.
In the end after a lot of effort I found a broken wire in the loom.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
You can download WIS from the Tech II workshop here, and that will provide wiring diagrams and troubleshooting procedures (which probably will involve Tech II use).

I assume from what I see posted here, that the fans run on 12V. So I would first check (with the battery disconnected!) that the fans aren't seized. Then, I'd jumper 12V from the battery and see if the fans turn. Obviously you'd have to figure out which connector to jumper to.

For what it's worth, back in 2016 I test drove a 2007 9-3 SC and in its service receipts was a fix to the fan system. I suspect it was the fan assembly, but not sure, it was a while ago. The owner said that the fans failed while trying to cross the Windsor/Detroit bridge. So fan failures are not unheard of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts